Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Sharks 2017-02-28

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Let's see, we have Marner returning which is a same type of player Leivo is except Marner is better in many aspects of the game. Marner goes on PP unit which leaves Leivo on 4th line doing nothing. Sosh who is also on the PK which Leivo can't play brings a different aspect to the 4th line that Leivo would. Also if you haven't noticed how well the 4th line has been playing since the Goat came back up. Get your heads out off your assess. Leivo is great but he was filling in for Marner and that was it.

Hmm.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
So Boyle slides in at 4C, GOAT back to Marlies?

With Marner back tomorrow as well, will be a bit of a new look for the buds.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I think 2 bodies need to go in order for Marner to be activated from IR and Boyle to come in. Could put Carrick on IR though and only send one body down.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
SMH. Please differentiate the difference between Marner and Leivo based on their position? Not skill but position. Please elaborate on why Leivo is on the PP and why Sosh isn't.

Leivo is a better goal scorer than Sosh. Easy as that, we don't need more playmakers when we have Marner & Nylander

Pzz

Oct 18, 2016
Newfoundland
Very excited for this road trip. I think the Cali teams will be playing some hard nosed playoff type hockey. It will be interesting to see how the kids do. That said, who do you think Boyle plays with and what his main role will be?

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
It'll be ****ing stupid if Leivo doesn't play. He's played really well since getting a chance on the Kadri line aside from last game.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Very excited for this road trip. I think the Cali teams will be playing some hard nosed playoff type hockey. It will be interesting to see how the kids do. That said, who do you think Boyle plays with and what his main role will be?

Hard to say, is Bozak out?
If so I could see Marner (if healthy) split time with Boyle and Kadri.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Sigh, if Leivo doesn't play tomorrow I'm gonna be pissed. What exactly does a player need to do to earn a spot? He's been arguably the best forward since he's gotten in, if not top 3. Sosh should sit, and for the love of ****ing god put Hyman on the 4th line if it's the only way to keep Leivo in the top 9.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Sigh, if Leivo doesn't play tomorrow I'm gonna be pissed. What exactly does a player need to do to earn a spot? He's been arguably the best forward since he's gotten in, if not top 3. Sosh should sit, and for the love of ****ing god put Hyman on the 4th line if it's the only way to keep Leivo in the top 9.
Well better start being pissed now then.

He has to be better than the guys ahead of him. Leivo can't go out on the PK. Which means he has to be a better fit than the wingers who also don't go out on the PK.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Well better start being pissed now then.

He has to be better than the guys ahead of him. Leivo can't go out on the PK. Which means he has to be a better fit than the wingers who also don't go out on the PK.

Sosh sitting leaves us with Hyman, Brown, Komarov, and Boyle on the PK. Marner can PK if he has to. IMO the little bit of PK time he's gotten he's been better at it than Sosh. Worse case he should play instead of Martin.

He's been better than JVR since he's gotten in the lineup. Now we're never going to sit JVR, but if we're going to go straight based on he has to be better than those in front of him, then he has been.

To finally get into the lineup after over half a season with just 1 game, and arguably be the best forward during that span and then get sat back down, just sends a horrible message. What exactly is he supposed to do beyond basically be the best forward to actually keep his spot? It's already unrealistic to think he would be the best forward but he's probably been that for the last 7 games or so.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
If Leivo sits and Smith is playing just for ****ing faceoffs, someone has to ask Babcock what the heck he is trying to accomplish. I can't believe such a smart coach like Babcock is so fixated with RH/LH combinations and faceoffs.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Soshnikov is a better 4th line player than leivo. A sosh-boyle-martin line would be better than with Leivo. Leivo may be a better scorer but we have enough top 6 players for the moment so for leivo to stay in he'd have to out hustle/grind brown/sosh or hyman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad