Confirmed with Link: Leafs re-sign Justin Holl -- 3 years 2M AAV

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Like this deal a lot.

IMO worst case scenario is he stagnates and becomes "only" a high quality third pair guy. $2 million is fine for that. Maybe a bit too much given our top heavy cap structure but perfectly reasonable in a vacuum which means he's easily movable for value (similar to the Brown situation where his cap hit was perfectly reasonable but too expensive for us to play him on the 4th line when we had cheaper alternatives).

More likely scenario, he rounds out as a solid #4 (arguably he's already done that - he just needs to keep doing it) and this is a great deal for a dependable, big, great-skating, RD.

Reactions: Muston Atthews

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Like this deal a lot.

IMO worst case scenario is he stagnates and becomes "only" a high quality third pair guy. $2 million is fine for that. Maybe a bit too much given our top heavy cap structure but perfectly reasonable in a vacuum which means he's easily movable for value (similar to the Brown situation where his cap hit was perfectly reasonable but too expensive for us to play him on the 4th line when we had cheaper alternatives).

More likely scenario, he rounds out as a solid #4 (arguably he's already done that - he just needs to keep doing it) and this is a great deal for a dependable, big, great-skating, RD.
Agreed, really a big fan of Holl, and this contract seems fair for both parties.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
I think our greatest Defence man King Salming in team history made around 150.000$ a year
I hoped at the time that he would have made 100.000$ only
We should get that GM to sign players

I was so happy back than and even way before when non of us knew it even cared about what our players made ahhhhh
Those were the days my friend .....
Oh just to be a fan and follow and enjoy ;)

Last edited:

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Set for life? 3 years at $2M after taxes, agents fees, escrow, whatever he spends doesn't do that for a young man. Gives him a great start though.

I’m sure he has the right people in his life but if an adult cannot find a way to be set for life with 6 million(before tax) then something is badly wrong.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Great deal for both Holl and the Leafs.
2mil is pretty much bottom pairing Dmen AAV in the open market. Another way to put it-it is one mil more than ELC players.
Can’t go wrong either way.

horner

May 22, 2007
I’m sure he has the right people in his life but if an adult cannot find a way to be set for life with 6 million(before tax) then something is badly wrong.
I agree
Hmmmmmm 6 mil what I could do

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017

It's not about the right people in his life, it's reality. $2M after 10% escrow and 10% agent fees is $1.6M/yr. I bet these guys have other expenses but I really don't know.

If he lived in Ontario (I know he doesn't but I'm using the tools I have), his after tax takehome is $778,800. What do you suppose an NHL player spends in a year? I'm going with $250k minimum and I think that's conservative. That leaves him with just over $1.5M in savings assuming he does everythink right. My $1M figure is way more likely but I'll accept the best case scenario.

$1.5M for a 30 year old is nowhere near set for life, plain and simple. This isn't the 1950s.

Reactions: cipher and frizzer1

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
ENIQiMDWoAA91OM

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
Great deal for both. Hopefully the cap skyrockets in a few years with some new American tv deal or some shit

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I feel its a little bit high, he's only played 51 games in the NHL so far. Hes largely an unproven commodity and could end up being a difficult contract to move if he doesn't pan out. This also makes me worry a little about re-signing Dermott, who is younger, better and likely commands at least the same if not more. Hopefully it doesn't handcuff the Leafs too much in regards to bringing up Marlies to help round out the bottom pair
Here's the thing. Holl is playing much better than Dermott this season. That sets the Leafs up well for the upcoming Dermott contract.

Reactions: Menzinger

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Great deal! If he can keep playing like he has this is a steal. Even if he takes a step backwards and is only a 3rd pairing guy long term, that's a good deal for a dependable third pairing RD. Love it!

lipstickjunkie

Jan 5, 2017
Lol @ people saying $6 million can't set you up for life. It might look paltry compared to the other contracts Dubas has handed out but let's put things in perspective.

I think most people would be more than happy making $200K/yr. Even at that salary for 30 years, you're only making $6 mil total. Holl is getting there in three years. All he has to do is not go all Allen Iverson.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
It's not about the right people in his life, it's reality. $2M after 10% escrow and 10% agent fees is $1.6M/yr. I bet these guys have other expenses but I really don't know.

If he lived in Ontario (I know he doesn't but I'm using the tools I have), his after tax takehome is $778,800. What do you suppose an NHL player spends in a year? I'm going with $250k minimum and I think that's conservative. That leaves him with just over $1.5M in savings assuming he does everythink right. My $1M figure is way more likely but I'll accept the best case scenario.

$1.5M for a 30 year old is nowhere near set for life, plain and simple. This isn't the 1950s.

We’re arguing different things here.

You are talking about him retiring today, while I’m talking about him being financially set, two different things.

If his camp does their job, he’s seeing 2-3 million dollars of that total contract, nothing makes money like having money, he’s set for life even working with the most basic of basic investments.

The easiest way I can explain it to people is that people that make 100k after taxes generally live a comfortable life, this guy is essentially getting 30 years of that salary in a 3 year span lol, that puts him so financially ahead of people that would have to wait the 30 year’s worth of time to accumulate that.

His money would be making so much more money for him than those other people.

trust me

Reactions: Auston Escobar

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
Very solid deal. It takes him only until age 30, so it's unlikely he'll hit a major decline before the deal is up. At that point we can re-evaluate, and either sign him short term again, or let him walk to free agency. So the term is pretty ideal.

In terms of the amount, I think $2M is a really good cap-hit for a guy of his abilities. For context, of defenders currently under contract for the 2020-21 season, he is 102nd highest paid. However, there are still plenty of guys waiting on extensions, or new upgrades on their ELC deals, so he'll probably end up in the 130-140 range (he would be 133rd making $2M this season). In very rough terms, being 135th highest paid defender in the league makes you an above average 5th defenseman. When you factor in that about 1/2 of NHL teams rely on a player on an ELC to be in their top four (there are 15 this season), he's pretty much being paid to be a low-end 5th defender.

So, all Holl has to do to make this deal an absolute win for the Leafs is be a #4 d-man. The 41 game sample we've had this year suggests he can probably even outperform that. If he keeps playing like this until 2022 - providing solid 5v5 impacts in our top four, while playing against tough competition - this deal will be a steal for Toronto.

Good on Dubas for sticking with Holl, and good on Holl for sticking with the team, even when Babcock treated him like crap these past few years (especially last season), and never game him the shot he deserved.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The more you make the more you spend. I guess its more of a guideline than a hard and fast rule, everyone spends differently, everyone saves differently, every one has different living costs.

If I made 2 mil per year, I would probably have 15 cars vs the 3 I have now, I'd have 3 or 4 houses, etc..

Well we know some players go broke for the very reason they live like they're going to get the money for life. Stupid isn't limited in any manner.

If I made 2 million a year I'd have a pickup and a SUV. I'd waste my money on land and crops.

Last edited:

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
You don’t score 2 goals in your first 2 NHL games as a dman and amount to nothing!

Great deal for Hollsy and the buds!

Reactions: Menzinger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad