Confirmed with Link: Leafs re-sign Justin Holl -- 3 years 2M AAV

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
just spit balling but shouldnt this be a great time t ooffer dermott the exact same contract as a bridge ?
he will still be an RFA at the end of it. (turns UFA in 2024)

we will have 5 of 7/8 guys signed at 10 mil total is pretty insane (reilly, holl, dermott, lili and sandin)

Do you actually think Dermott deserves 2 million a year? I don’t. He is playing third pairing minutes, his Corsi and Fenwick numbers are the worse out his 3 seasons and he is getting more oZS vs dZS. If he is signed for 4 years sure 2 million is fair (not saying we want to do that) but if he is signing for 3 I want the deal around 1.75. Give the kid 3 million signing bonus paid July 1 and 700 and change a year in salary. That is a fantastic contract if you have to move him.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Does this signing tell us anything about how much Dermott's cap hit will be when we re-sign him (which I presume we will)?

Can we expect a $2-2.5m bridge?

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Does this signing tell us anything about how much Dermott's cap hit will be when we re-sign him (which I presume we will)?

Term the biggest factor. Imo Dermott is one of the trickier ones management had to think about.

Hes not in any position to ask for big dollars, but if the team believes he can be a good piece for the tram moving forward getting him locked up for like 4ish years on a steal caphit could be worth it

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Id say 2 million is max for Dermott. The exact same deal as Holl would be fine, imo. But Dermott is not a Top 4 guy for this team and Holl is. 1.5-2 million per imo is a good deal. I wonder about Dermott's upside at times. He flashes some great tools, then makes some extremely poor reads/mistakes ensue. Dermott has excellent wheels but rarely goes for a skate, he can get caught stepping up to make a hit and miss the guy with body or stick check. He also has a bad habit of going heel to heel for no reason when he should be skating away from pressure. No one is buying the heel to heel move in the NHL, it just cuts down your time and space as NHL guys attack u. In the OHL,AHL....it can freeze guys but not in the NHL.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
It might be the new normal was teams to lock up their RFA...even modest RFAs long term.
Sam Girard signed a 5m X 7 year extension last summer which starts next October after his ELC ends. Is he THAT much different Dermot.
I think Dermot might be under appreciated. Last year his partner was the Russian rookie and since Keefe arrive his new is Ceci. So Dermot hasn't been sheltered by good partners.

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I honestly thought Holl could be a top 4 guy in the league before the year, I'm really not that surprised by his play.

But I also thought Connor Carrick could be a top 4 guy at one point so...yeah

Reactions: Smif and qqaz

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I honestly thought Holl could be a top 4 guy in the league before the year, I'm really not that surprised by his play.

But I also thought Connor Carrick could be a top 4 guy at one point so...yeah
I feel like Carrick is a guy who would have a story or two about Babs.

I forget which year this was but he started out decently and the team got off to a hot start. Then Polak got healthy and replaced him in the lineup for no reason and the team went on a .500 skid.

After that every time he got in the lineup he looked like he was trying to fight somebody rather than just playing his game. Was never the same after that.

Reactions: BigBlu

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
It might be the new normal was teams to lock up their RFA...even modest RFAs long term.
Sam Girard signed a 5m X 7 year extension last summer which starts next October after his ELC ends. Is he THAT much different Dermot.
I think Dermot might be under appreciated. Last year his partner was the Russian rookie and since Keefe arrive his new is Ceci. So Dermot hasn't been sheltered by good partners.
Dermott has never played anything but very sheltered 3rd pairing minutes (QoC and zone wise) for the vast majority of his career while I'm pretty sure Girard played on the top pairing with EJ before he signed his contract.

I would say there is a pretty considerable difference in their usage. Personally I think people overrate Dermott, especially when they pencil him playing his offside on the top pairing with Rielly

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Reilly - [free agent signing / Barrie / Petro]
Dermott - Holl
Sandin - Lily

If that's how we look going into 2020-21, I think it should be good. But maybe that's pinning too high expectations on Dermott / Sandin / Lily.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
I just looked up that the approximate average income per household after taxes in Canada is $70,000.

Let's say that family works for the typical 35 years. That's 2,450,000 career earning over those 35 years, after taxes. In most cases that's two workers in the household. So Holl made 35 years of the average two worker household in a mere 3 years. Sure, the average couple in this example would get significant raises over the next 35 years... but similarly, Holl getting all of ths money up front can heavily invest it and be well ahead of that couple if done properly.

So yeah, Holl in 3 years made similar money (after taxes) as most working households make spanning their whole career. He can definitely live comfortably off of this money for the rest of his life, even with a family. He won't be "rich', but he can live comfortably.
Correction, he made that in 1 year. The contract is for $6m total. That said, this is the market... don't begrudge someone else for making more than you can.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
This guy looks better and better every game. With Marincin on his pairing he's had to carry the puck more and looks fantastic doing it. The guy's legit, great find by Dubas and great development by Keefe.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
This guy looks better and better every game. With Marincin on his pairing he's had to carry the puck more and looks fantastic doing it. The guy's legit, great find by Dubas and great development by Keefe.

Reminds me of Hainsey out there.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
He's been really solid.

I thought he'd be a 5 or 6 at best... maybe he can be a 4... he's basically been that for a while now.

Its great that someone saw something in him... and he's shown he can play well consistently.

He had another solid game tonight. Jumping in and pinching at the right time, good positional play.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
I just looked up that the approximate average income per household after taxes in Canada is $70,000.

Let's say that family works for the typical 35 years. That's 2,450,000 career earning over those 35 years, after taxes. In most cases that's two workers in the household. So Holl made 35 years of the average two worker household in a mere 3 years. Sure, the average couple in this example would get significant raises over the next 35 years... but similarly, Holl getting all of ths money up front can heavily invest it and be well ahead of that couple if done properly.

So yeah, Holl in 3 years made similar money (after taxes) as most working households make spanning their whole career. He can definitely live comfortably off of this money for the rest of his life, even with a family. He won't be "rich', but he can live comfortably.
.... No he'll be darn rich.

This level of delusion because of spending time reading cap spaces everyday baffles me. Add in all the money he earned in the AHL and the guy is set for half his life and life with a few wise investments.

Not you since you seem to be able to compare these people to normal people but other posters in this thread are highly delusional about the value of money to act like 2m a year is a pathetic joke. STOP BASING WHAT MONEY IS WORTH BASED ON CAPSPACE.COM! Seriously.

It's like these guys don't understand that people study for years and years in great programs and work for years and years moving up the corporate ladder and "only" end up with 500k at the very top if they are lucky enough to make it there which is regarded as most people's dreams. People study their entire youth off to become doctors to earn 300-500k and here we have overly pessimistic HFboards members saying 2m is nothing and they feel "sorry for your situation" if you feel otherwise when everyone looks up to doctors as respectable rich individuals. Unnecessary over the top pessimistic conservativeness (not the political term) doesn't make you a hardass or mature. It's more symbolic of a mental illness and long term depression if anything. If that's how you really feel not sure how you survive with your 100k salaries (lol) and not jump off a cliff with this mindset every time your biweekly pay comes in.

Unless he's an idiot, Holl won't need to work another day in his life for some 50 odd k job. What an absurd thing to say (another poster said it). He's earned more already than most will ever individually earn. And you also can't compare his after tax salary with others pre tax salary. Yes his tax rate is higher but it's still not a fair comparison.

Because of pro sports people really forget the reality of life where people go to college for 4-5 years in a great program and if they are lucky to start where they want can make make $25-$28 an hour at most for a 50-60k entry level salary at most. Or the minimum wage worker working for $15 an hour

Last edited:
Reactions: bansheebeat

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
He's been really solid.

I thought he'd be a 5 or 6 at best... maybe he can be a 4... he's basically been that for a while now.

Its great that someone saw something in him... and he's shown he can play well consistently.

He had another solid game tonight. Jumping in and pinching at the right time, good positional play.

Nice that he's not doing this for another team which he so easily could be doing if Babcock was still coach.

He might have been even better than he is right now if he didn't sit in the press box for 71 games. I really want to forget 90% of Babcock's tenure.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Reilly - [free agent signing / Barrie / Petro]
Dermott - Holl
Sandin - Lily

If that's how we look going into 2020-21, I think it should be good. But maybe that's pinning too high expectations on Dermott / Sandin / Lily.
That core is arguably worse than what we have now because we would have largely an unproven core. If you're going to sign a UFA, you're goign to pay UFA prices and I'm not sure that's a great idea when Rielly has his contract coming up in 2022. Granted, the cap will go up but you may end up handcuffing yourself by paying an inflated fee . Having 2 rookie defenseman isn't such a great idea in my opinion because there's going to be a lot of pressure on them to perform, especially with how well the Leafs perform in the playoffs this season if they make it. Sandin is young, he can afford another year in the AHL , which wont hurt his development by any means. I think we should try keeping Muzzin at the least and have that veteran presence on the blue line because there's potential for not a lot of it with that core you posted.

FireBabcock

Apr 21, 2019
I don’t think theres any point for our two swedes to play another year in the ahl. you have to jump eventually

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Nice that he's not doing this for another team which he so easily could be doing if Babcock was still coach.

He might have been even better than he is right now if he didn't sit in the press box for 71 games. I really want to forget 90% of Babcock's tenure.

Lol yeah... Babcock certainly wasn't a fan, but glad Keefe and Dubas knew enough.

Reactions: Menzinger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad