Confirmed with Link: Leafs re-sign Justin Holl -- 3 years 2M AAV

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Yeah, one of us knows what they're talking about. And it's clearly not you considering the nonsense you're spewing and the fact that you forgot what you said just one post ago. Let me remind you:

LOL you quoted a small part of my post and left out the very next part that talked about what an NHL player spends in a year (unless you think Holl will be staying in a homeless shelter and eating in soup kitchens and bank 100% of his take home pay).

It's quite simple.

Apparently not.

You multiply that number by three, round up to the nearest half and you get $2.5 million over three years. I will repeat what I said before: if you don't think 2 and a half million dollars is enough to set you up for life, then I don't know what to say. Hire a better financial adviser and stop spending like Mike Tyson.

You not only said the individual would be set up for life, you said them, their children and their grandchildren. Even if your $2.5M was correct (and it's not), your talking about splitting that money minimum 5 way since you used plural children and grandchildren. So, no, I don't think your notion of a $2.5M family dynasty is quite as feasible as you obviously do. The fact that his actual savings after expenses is much closer to what I *actually* said (about $1.5M) makes you look (to use your word) simple. That's not even enough money to set up one person for life at only 30 years of age.

I'll never understand why people like you go on and on like you have any idea what you're talking about when you so obviously don't.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Great move. Holl has been very good. Borderline dominant.

When he's on the ice, the team gets a lot more and gives up a lot less.

Screen Shot 2020-01-01 at 11.24.09 AM.png

With this, it's unsurprising that he's had dominant puck possession (53.8% CF) despite defensive deployment (46.5% oZS).

Seeing this team actually coached the way it was built is an incredible treat.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Great move. Holl has been very good. Borderline dominant.

When he's on the ice, the team gets a lot more and gives up a lot less.

View attachment 300889

With this, it's unsurprising that he's had dominant puck possession (53.8% CF) despite defensive deployment (46.5% oZS).

Seeing this team actually coached the way it was built is an incredible treat.

If this continues hes handily a top four quality guy

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Since this is the forum for the Toronto Maple Leafs, I would have assumed that at least some of you would be familiar with the current rental situation in Toronto.

For those of you saying the money can be "sheltered in RRSP", you should know that you can only shelter a very small part of your income that way. ($26,500 this year... so basically a rounding error in the calculations). Rest assured that you can't escape the tax man that easily.

That said Holl is looking at 8mCAD so he should be able to bank 2.5m or so... not quite retirement money unless you're frugal but an excellent start.

Yes, when I made the post about what apartments cost, I assumed that most people here would know what apartment rental costs are in Toronto. It was because of this obvious assumption that it wasn't mentioned. BTW, I don't live in Toronto either. But, the basic point I made (with examples) is true.

Yes, you can only shelter a small, specified amount in a RRSP each year. That's also pretty obvious for many. Having said that, I think the people were making the broader point that the money could be invested.

And, yes I agree on the fact that $2.5 m isn't a huge or worry free type of nest egg given Holl's age and life expectancy.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Holl is also getting a full year of NHL pay for this season too.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Yes, when I made the post about what apartments cost, I assumed that most people here would know what apartment rental costs are in Toronto. It was because of this obvious assumption that it wasn't mentioned. BTW, I don't live in Toronto either. But, the basic point I made (with examples) is true.

Yes, you can only shelter a small, specified amount in a RRSP each year. That's also pretty obvious for many. Having said that, I think the people were making the broader point that the money could be invested.

And, yes I agree on the fact that $2.5 m isn't a huge or worry free type of nest egg given Holl's age and life expectancy.

I just looked up that the approximate average income per household after taxes in Canada is $70,000.

Let's say that family works for the typical 35 years. That's 2,450,000 career earning over those 35 years, after taxes. In most cases that's two workers in the household. So Holl made 35 years of the average two worker household in a mere 3 years. Sure, the average couple in this example would get significant raises over the next 35 years... but similarly, Holl getting all of ths money up front can heavily invest it and be well ahead of that couple if done properly.

So yeah, Holl in 3 years made similar money (after taxes) as most working households make spanning their whole career. He can definitely live comfortably off of this money for the rest of his life, even with a family. He won't be "rich', but he can live comfortably.

cesareborgia

Jun 9, 2010
LOL you quoted a small part of my post and left out the very next part that talked about what an NHL player spends in a year (unless you think Holl will be staying in a homeless shelter and eating in soup kitchens and bank 100% of his take home pay).

Apparently not.

You not only said the individual would be set up for life, you said them, their children and their grandchildren. Even if your $2.5M was correct (and it's not), your talking about splitting that money minimum 5 way since you used plural children and grandchildren. So, no, I don't think your notion of a $2.5M family dynasty is quite as feasible as you obviously do. The fact that his actual savings after expenses is much closer to what I *actually* said (about $1.5M) makes you look (to use your word) simple. That's not even enough money to set up one person for life at only 30 years of age.

I'll never understand why people like you go on and on like you have any idea what you're talking about when you so obviously don't.
I shouldn't even bother to respond to a post of this quality, but whatever.

1. Huh? "What and NHL player spends?" You are in control of what you spend. Live smart and within your budget. Your profession is irrelevant.
2. $2.5m is the correct number using your own math. If you dispute that number, you are disputing your own math.
3. $2.5m is absolutely more than enough to set up three generations of your family for life.

Of course, if you are a peabrain, even $300m wouldn't be enough to set you up for life. My advice: hire a better financial advisor and stop spending like Mike Tyson.

unitedstars87

Jun 2, 2006
He doesn't walk away with $6M after taxes, agents and escrow. I explained it elsewhere but my absolute high end is $1.5M in the bank at the end of his deal assuming he's not a complete idiot. $1.5M will pay out $86k/year for 25 years assuming 3% above inflation return on his money. That gets him to his mid 50s. That is not "set for life".

I'm sure he'll have other sources of income. That's called working to us plebs.
Lollll.. now we are financial planners for our players to determine if they will have enough retirement funds. Happy the guy got his money and hope it’s a bargain for the leafs. That’s sports. Both sides happy. 6 mil in 3 years gross is good coin. He’s signed now so why don’t we just talk about how he plays?

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
just spit balling but shouldnt this be a great time t ooffer dermott the exact same contract as a bridge ?
he will still be an RFA at the end of it. (turns UFA in 2024)

we will have 5 of 7/8 guys signed at 10 mil total is pretty insane (reilly, holl, dermott, lili and sandin)

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I shouldn't even bother to respond to a post of this quality, but whatever.

1. Huh? "What and NHL player spends?" You are in control of what you spend. Live smart and within your budget. Your profession is irrelevant.
2. $2.5m is the correct number using your own math. If you dispute that number, you are disputing your own math.
3. $2.5m is absolutely more than enough to set up three generations of your family for life.

Of course, if you are a peabrain, even $300m wouldn't be enough to set you up for life. My advice: hire a better financial advisor and stop spending like Mike Tyson.

You seem pretty angry (I would be too if I thought $2.5M was an enormous amount of money, sorry for your situation).

Have a great life!

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Lollll.. now we are financial planners for our players to determine if they will have enough retirement funds. Happy the guy got his money and hope it’s a bargain for the leafs. That’s sports. Both sides happy. 6 mil in 3 years gross is good coin. He’s signed now so why don’t we just talk about how he plays?

I wasn't critiquing his situation, another poster said he was "set for life". I responded to that, nothing more. For the record, I think he' been probably the most pleasant surprise this season. love him.

Reactions: unitedstars87

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
You seem pretty angry (I would be too if I thought $2.5M was an enormous amount of money, sorry for your situation).

Have a great life!

How Many Millionaires Are in the US? (and Even Richer?) -DQYDJ

Our estimate is 7,647,278 American households have $2 million or more, and 4,665,039 households have $3 million or more in net worth. $2 million or more in net worth covers roughly 6.07% of households, while $3 million or more covers 3.70%.
Those are the 93.93% and 96.30% wealth percentiles.

These are households not individuals, so individually the numbers would be even less.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
LOL, god you have to love Leaf fans, we are now financial planners and know for a fact he will spend like mad man, will save and invest wisely or ... we could talk about HOCKEY and what he brings to the table, how and why he spends his money is his choice and we as fans should care less.

It's like debating a players choice in clothes, cars or the type of home he buys ... WHO CARES? He put the work in, he decides how the money is spent. If he spends it all in 3 years, great, his choice, if he squirrels it away for his retirement, good for him.

Such an odd tangent to take when a player signs a contract. Maybe for once our insatiable insecure need to be right about 100% of everything, could be tempered by actually talking about the player and not a pissing contest over the right way to spend his contract.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
How Many Millionaires Are in the US? (and Even Richer?) -DQYDJ

These are households not individuals, so individually the numbers would be even less.

Not exactly sure if you were making a point or not. 7M+ households seems like a lot to me. In any case the point is, this contract doesn't set Holl up for life and it's childish to think it would. He'll either make a lot more money in the NHL or he'll be working like the rest of us. Not sure what made this so controversial or why people got angry. Wasn't my intention.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Rewind back to the very start of the year: who the hell would have thought Justin Holl would have been held in such high regard?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Rewind back to the very start of the year: who the hell would have thought Justin Holl would have been held in such high regard?

Me.

Those that followed the Marlies when he played for them knew he was a quality defender.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Me.

Those that followed the Marlies when he played for them knew he was a quality defender.

Great call on your part. I didn't think Holl would amount to anything if I'm being honest.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Great call on your part. I didn't think Holl would amount to anything if I'm being honest.

The year I watched him play on the Mariles, he looked very similar to how he looks today, poised, in good position, unspectacular.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Not exactly sure if you were making a point or not. 7M+ households seems like a lot to me. In any case the point is, this contract doesn't set Holl up for life and it's childish to think it would. He'll either make a lot more money in the NHL or he'll be working like the rest of us. Not sure what made this so controversial or why people got angry. Wasn't my intention.

I don't think anyone is angry about such a good signing.

How he spends it is up to him, but he should have no financial concerns if it was his last contract ... unless bought out.

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron

Looking back .....Who would have thought Barrie would have been so poor this year. IMO he's been so poor he's losing big money on his contract if anyone if watching his play.
Glad the Shanahan finally realized what poor head coach was Babcock was.

You're right about Holl. Sure looks like he can be good player in the NHL. Few would have thought that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad