Confirmed with Link: Leafs re-sign Cody Ceci to a 1 year 4.5M contract

justanotherleafsfan

Oct 5, 2019
Rielly made Hainsey serviceable, all Ceci has to is carry water for Morgan.

1 year term, he's just holding up capspace till the off season to free up, a roster spot and saving Dubas from having to eat a draft pick or two at the deadline to get a Ceci like plug going into the playoffs.

All Ceci has to do is be a forgettable player and not make himself famous for the wrong reasons. I have faith he can do that.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
If they can some how dump that contract for picks or prospects, that would give us a lot of flexibility, as is I don't think Leafs will resign him. You need some cap space at the trade deadline
I'd rather give up winger depth than D depth.

Reactions: MJ65

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Wouldn't mind dumping Ceci to Winnipeg for picks and then make a move on Matt Benning from Edmonton.

Rielly Benning
Muzzin Barrie
Sandin Dermott
Maybe I'm thinking of someone else but wasn't Benning waived in Edmonton?
Hardly seems like a top pairing player on a contender

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Not that you can read too deeply into 4 games (takes 20 to 30 games for corsi to stabilize), but he's getting slaughtered 5v5 possession-wise which falls in-line with what he's been pretty much his entire career. I'd gladly trade him to the Jets for a 4th rounder and start Dermott on the right, if Babs is comfortable doing that, which, I'm not sure he is. If it means Holl on the 2nd pair then we can't.
how is he getting slaughtered? he's at 52 cf%. When you adjust for quality it gets a little worse at 49 xgf%, but that's not being slaughtered. Last year he was at 46 xgf% and 44 cf% so you can see improvement

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
how is he getting slaughtered? he's at 52 cf%. When you adjust for quality it gets a little worse at 49 xgf%, but that's not being slaughtered. Last year he was at 46 xgf% and 44 cf% so you can see improvement
He's like -5 rel. That is pretty bad, and its a recurring theme he is the worst possession player on his team. I'm not going to read too much into 4 games as a Leaf. I don't seriously value possession metrics until a 20 or so game sample.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility

People made up their minds on him the minute he was announced as part of the trade. I think he has done an excellent job and has been a quality top 4 guy.

Not sure what people expect from the guy in that spot? Team Canada's defense?

Reactions: kb and TopCheese

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Rielly made Hainsey serviceable, all Ceci has to is carry water for Morgan.

1 year term, he's just holding up capspace till the off season to free up, a roster spot and saving Dubas from having to eat a draft pick or two at the deadline to get a Ceci like plug going into the playoffs.

All Ceci has to do is be a forgettable player and not make himself famous for the wrong reasons. I have faith he can do that.
This is the opposite of what we're seeing from Ceci so far, and what Ceci has been his entire career.

He's been a defensive disaster his entire career -- and he's been directly responsible for a lot of goals against already. But he's also make wonderful offensive plays.

You can like Ceci (I don't), but it's not because of his "invisibly doing his job".

justanotherleafsfan

Oct 5, 2019
This is the opposite of what we're seeing from Ceci so far, and what Ceci has been his entire career.

He's been a defensive disaster his entire career -- and he's been directly responsible for a lot of goals against already. But he's also make wonderful offensive plays.

You can like Ceci (I don't), but it's not because of his "invisibly doing his job".
When did I say I like him?

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
He really should've been a forward, he has no idea how to defend and his frame is too top-heavy to gain leverage with his hips.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
There is zero chance the Leafs stats guys are liking his play.

Dont blink if hes moved at the first opportunity

Winnipeg is the perfect candidate I'd say, once Dermott comes back.

On a somewhat related note, while talking about Winnipeg. I'd really push to make a package deal (I.e combined with Kappy or something) for Vesalainen (their top prospect in their system). A 6'4 power-forward LW with hands and speed. Kapanen and Vesalainen are essentially both middle-6 skilled forwards but Vesalainen has more potential and is what we need in size+skill at LW. Ceci could be the incentive given their need for a top-4 RHD.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
To be fair he’s been better than Reilly this year, Reilly has made some poor decisions
Rielly's still been better. I think it's more fair to say Ceci has done better relative to his expectations of being awful compared to Rielly's expectations of being an elite defenseman

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Winnipeg is the perfect candidate I'd say, once Dermott comes back.

On a somewhat related note, while talking about Winnipeg. I'd really push to make a package deal (I.e combined with Kappy or something) for Vesalainen (their top prospect in their system). A 6'4 power-forward LW with hands and speed. Kapanen and Vesalainen are essentially both middle-6 skilled forwards but Vesalainen has more potential and is what we need in size+skill at LW. Ceci could be the incentive given their need for a top-4 RHD.
I wouldn’t want Vesalainen, he’s very immature and was on a lot of teams ND list. I mean, I’d take him for Ceci since I said I’d take a 4th rounder for him, but I wouldn’t include Kappy for him.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I wouldn’t want Vesalainen, he’s very immature and was on a lot of teams ND list. I mean, I’d take him for Ceci since I said I’d take a 4th rounder for him, but I wouldn’t include Kappy for him.

Is that immaturity thing that big of a deal? I don't see it as a big issue IMO. He's 20 years old (2017 drafted, Lilijegren's age). Seems like he had a disappointing camp and pre-season this year despite killing it up until this point.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Agreed. Ceci is anything but a quietly effective defenseman.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Ceci struggled in Ottawa because he can play 20+ minutes a night mentally and physically, he just can’t do it well. He’s a disciplined solider and won’t give you trouble, but what you see on the ice is what you get and it won’t improve.

He was rated top 5 in his draft year at Christmas and slid to 15 in the draft - his defensive play in junior was scary. Seeing that now, all the tools, just won’t ever be what you need him to be

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad