Confirmed with Link: Leafs re-sign Cody Ceci to a 1 year 4.5M contract

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I really don't think that paying reasonably productive, defensively responsible 3C at $3.5M as being a luxury. Time will tell obviously if he can continue to be both of those things.

If there was one take away from this camp, it's that we don't have anyone that can be expected to take that spot from him any time in the near future.

Well, putting decent wingers on his line will be helpful, as we've seen so far. I mean, Kadri's getting Jost and Donskoi, which will not, IMO, do him any favors by comparison.

Last edited:

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Considering how much the puck is going to be in Ottawa's zone, I don't see Zaitsev flourishing.

Zaitsev is paired with Chabot though, and Chabot is going to be put in the best position possible for offensive opportunities. Chabot received 58.8% OZ starts last year, no reason to think that will not change. And with Zaitsev tagging along, he would not be put in nearly as bad a situation as last year with the leafs. His O zone starts will almost double.

I guarantee Ottawa fans will be saying they won the trade. Mind you thats the same group that also felt Ceci would have trouble making an AHL roster, so take it with a grain of salt.

Sep 18, 2009
Zaitsev is paired with Chabot though, and Chabot is going to be put in the best position possible for offensive opportunities. Chabot received 58.8% OZ starts last year, no reason to think that will not change. And with Zaitsev tagging along, he would not be put in nearly as bad a situation as last year with the leafs. His O zone starts will almost double.

I guarantee Ottawa fans will be saying they won the trade. Mind you thats the same group that also felt Ceci would have trouble making an AHL roster, so take it with a grain of salt.

Here is what will happen. Zaitsev will get hemmed in the D zone and Ottawa will get scored on.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

Yea, Last game Zaitsev/Chabot were paired together, they were at 50% zone starts. Result: Zaitsev led the Sens in 5v5 icetime, cf% and the Canucks didnt register a scoring chance with him on the ice 5v5.

I think both teams are going to benefit from the move.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I'm really worried about Ceci not being very good at all. Haven't been able to watch him at all yet. How has he looked?

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
I'm really worried about Ceci not being very good at all. Haven't been able to watch him at all yet. How has he looked?

So far he's been very good

There was one game he dished up a pizza up the middle

Otherwise he's been very strong on outlets, very strong with play neutralization with a very active stick. He's been better than Hainsey for Rielly's pair.

However, we've only played against montreal, buffalo, detroit and ottawa.... so how he's going to play against better teams is something we won't know immediately.

Reactions: Blueboy

moon111

Oct 18, 2014

Well you can also look at Ceci facing about the best opposition of any Ottawa defender in their own end, still putting up Dermott-type offense. Think Ceci gets the better out of this deal.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
So far he's been very good

There was one game he dished up a pizza up the middle

Otherwise he's been very strong on outlets, very strong with play neutralization with a very active stick. He's been better than Hainsey for Rielly's pair.

However, we've only played against montreal, buffalo, detroit and ottawa.... so how he's going to play against better teams is something we won't know immediately.
too true

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I think the biggest thing for Ceci is, he hasn't tried to do too much. He has let Rielly play his game & he's played better than expected.

If he continues to play the quiet game, he will fit in very well on the blueline.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
My heart rate has dropped significantly and I don't find myself breathing so heavily when our RHD's have control of the puck compared to last year. I'd say that alone is worth four and a half million.

Reactions: kb

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
The eye-test says he's a total abortion defensively. This is confirmed by the numbers: he's the 9th worst skater in the league in shot-attempts against. He's not an upgrade on Zaitsev in this regard.

He is a large upgrade offensively, however. He's not great at the defensive aspects of the offensive zone, *but* he's got a profoundly better shot and pass than Zaitsev.

All in all, a good trade, but it's not going to help us get scored on less. But if he does things like that wonderful bump pass on the Nylander play last game, he still might end up a net contributor.

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
The eye-test says he's a total abortion defensively. This is confirmed by the numbers: he's the 9th worst skater in the league in shot-attempts against. He's not an upgrade on Zaitsev in this regard.

He is a large upgrade offensively, however. He's not great at the defensive aspects of the offensive zone, *but* he's got a profoundly better shot and pass than Zaitsev.

All in all, a good trade, but it's not going to help us get scored on less. But if he does things like that wonderful bump pass on the Nylander play last game, he still might end up a net contributor.

think it might be time.......

60S GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

kb

Aug 28, 2009
My heart rate has dropped significantly and I don't find myself breathing so heavily when our RHD's have control of the puck compared to last year. I'd say that alone is worth four and a half million.
This is an underrated post. I agree wholeheartedly.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Not that you can read too deeply into 4 games (takes 20 to 30 games for corsi to stabilize), but he's getting slaughtered 5v5 possession-wise which falls in-line with what he's been pretty much his entire career. I'd gladly trade him to the Jets for a 4th rounder and start Dermott on the right, if Babs is comfortable doing that, which, I'm not sure he is. If it means Holl on the 2nd pair then we can't.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Not that you can read too deeply into 4 games (takes 20 to 30 games for corsi to stabilize), but he's getting slaughtered 5v5 possession-wise which falls in-line with what he's been pretty much his entire career. I'd gladly trade him to the Jets for a 4th rounder and start Dermott on the right, if Babs is comfortable doing that, which, I'm not sure he is. If it means Holl on the 2nd pair then we can't.
Agreed, but holy hell has Rielly ever looked like a tire fire. Bad decisions, poor outlets....I love Rielly, but he's been the problem so far on that pairing.

Which pains me to say....

Reactions: stickty111

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka

???

yes his position as top Leafs D CF% QoC is disgusting ( in too small a sample size I agree)

Mo has made more glaring errors than anyone on our team so far but he's also made the most good plays ( well Barrie may deserve some consideration as well).

Seems like we want to have a very active D this year and it will take adjustments and time to see what we have.

With Sandin getting more shifts with our top 4 that allows us different looks and options based on game situations. Sandin played more minutes in the 3rd period against St Louis than any other period so far !

I think we have the makings of a great D with Dermy back and if Sandin continues to progress.

With Dermott back it gives us even more flexibility.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
To be very honest Ceci has played better then expected, not trying too much and been steady so far

Reactions: kb

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
And just as I posted that......Well, faaaack.

If they can some how dump that contract for picks or prospects, that would give us a lot of flexibility, as is I don't think Leafs will resign him. You need some cap space at the trade deadline

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad