Confirmed with Link: Leafs re-sign Cody Ceci to a 1 year 4.5M contract

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I love that as a pairing who's RHD in this situation though? Ideally what I am hopping happens by next year is this:

Rielly- Ceci
Sandin- Barrie
Dermott- Liljegren

Ceci actually being as good as he currently looks, resigning barrie and Lily being ready. Then we would be pretty solid on the back end. Sandin looks like he's going to be top 2D man one day...
Way too soft .. soft as butter ... our net would be a beehive

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Looks like Ceci was a prime change of scenery guy.

We don't see any warts and he is playing refreshed. Might be the same for Zaitsev.

Reactions: qqaz

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I personally like what I see from Ceci so far albeit in pre-season games. He's looked good next to Reilly and they have both moved the puck well together. I can only believe this will get better as the season progresses. From what Ive seen he is decent on the PK, and doesn't ice the puck as much as Hainsey used to. Has the mobility and offensive sense that puts the team in counter attack mode quicker which I like.

Good get so far.

Reactions: qqaz and Tarmore

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
check in at the 10 game mark, that will tell you what you need to know

I've had faith in this player since the Senators drafted him, hard to be an outstanding D on a lumpy and disjointed team, that said when the Senators were cooking and made their run in '17 Cody was a stud with 23:36 TOI over the 19 playoff games and 23:12 TOI during the regular season. People tend to forget the player's history and what he's really capable of, and instead latch onto the popular mythologies of the day(see Kruger-Dunning effect).
has everything to do with it, maybe you don't get the relationship here to people who really don't understand player evaluation and those that ride the tide based on erroneous valuations confident in the knowledge they percieve as valid

so there is that;)

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
No you don't need Muzzin if Lily is ready! 3 low cost D 1 mid and 2 higher cost.

I don't think you can replace a Stanley Cup winning workhorse with a rookie quite that easily. In the Friday night Wings game Liljegren fanned on an outlet pass and then proceeded to fail to get the puck out of the zone four times, with multiple turnovers in the same sequence. I feel like that's the kind of shift that's going to add half a season to his apprenticeship in the AHL.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
No you don't need Muzzin if Lily is ready! 3 low cost D 1 mid and 2 higher cost.
Ideally I'd like Muzzin to play with Liljegren a bit this year, especially on the PK to teach him he ropes at the NHL level. Loverde played that role for him on the Marlies and it helped hom tremendously. I think he's the perfect guy to help him make an impact defensively in the NHL.

Reactions: FADYB

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Reactions: NCoRe

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Tanner needs training wheels to think.
lol yeah, I think its a bit of a persona though. All their writers cant be pro leafs, he adds a different opinion than the rest.
But I don't put much stock into his articles

Reactions: kb

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Ceci is turning into a great acquisition. How the top 2 pairings have looked has been impressive, With both pairings in the lineup with the whole opening night lineups they shutout Montreal and Detroit pretty soundly. Ceci and Reilly look to be meshing well.

What I like about our defense is the fact that they move quick in d-zone exits. The other thing I like is that our forward group today is much better defensively then previously. Our 3rd line with Micheyev and Kerfoot has been great. Team defense as a whole looks to be better this season so far.

And this is without 2 players like Hyman and Dermott that were 2 of the better last season defensively.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Hard to argue that on paper Muzzin/Barrie/Rielly/Ceci isn’t one of the best looking top 4s we’ve had in awhile.

And you can’t underestimate the importance of having a top 4 set to allow players like Dermott/Sandin/Lily the chance to mature and learn properly without getting killed.

It makes you good now and later as these kids are properly protected.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Hard to argue that on paper Muzzin/Barrie/Rielly/Ceci isn’t one of the best looking top 4s we’ve had in awhile.

And you can’t underestimate the importance of having a top 4 set to allow players like Dermott/Sandin/Lily the chance to mature and learn properly without getting killed.

It makes you good now and later as these kids are properly protected.

Totally agree

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Yeah, assuming the D as currently constructed is a great group that you can rely on, do you start trimming the fat from the forward group and start promoting more Marlies?
Our opening night roster has a bottom 6 making around $8.5M. It will have two rookies, two sophomores and a third year player. Actually how much trimmer would you like them to be?

Reactions: Kurtz and Boutette

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Our opening night roster has a bottom 6 making around $8.5M. It will have two rookies, two sophomores and a third year player. Actually how much trimmer would you like them to be?

Well, Kerfoot would be one. And eventually you make a decision on a bigger ticket item.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
It's good that Sandin looks poised to take a spot. Hope Dermott can have a mini-training camp.... before coming back in.

Same can he said for Moore/Mikhayev and Hyman. Hopefully the layoff doesnt affect them and can slot in when they're game ready.

Same can said for a guy like Ceci he takes pressure off guys like Dermott and Barrie....
Especially Barrie... he can find his game on a new team, rather than feel the Toronto pressure if hes expected to be the Rielly pair..

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Well, Kerfoot would be one. And eventually you make a decision on a bigger ticket item.
I really don't think that paying reasonably productive, defensively responsible 3C at $3.5M as being a luxury. Time will tell obviously if he can continue to be both of those things.

If there was one take away from this camp, it's that we don't have anyone that can be expected to take that spot from him any time in the near future.

Reactions: qqaz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad