Confirmed with Link: Leafs re-sign Cody Ceci to a 1 year 4.5M contract

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
its early but......

Ceci 5v5 stats so far (via corsica):

TOI QoC%: 30.05 (13th toughest comp among all D in the NHL, tops on Leafs)
ZSR (Zone starts ratio): 39.29
CF%: 56.66 (+1.2 REL)
xGF% 49.51 (-1.64 REL)
GF%: 62.68 (+20.54 REL)

Tied for D lead in points. (on pace for 10ish goals and 50 points at 5v5)

If he keeps these numbers up all year, an absolute STEAL at 4.5 a year. Not sure why anyone could be mad as he's looked good in the eye test department too. I could only think another agenda clouding judgement if you dont like him so far.

Reactions: kb

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Teams with too much Drama almost never win. They end up playing as individuals or for contracts etc. That's how I see this team so far and also Babcock dropping the ball as well.

It's literally in the underlying numbers why they're losing, and why they're going to rebound strong.

It has NOTHING to do with 'drama'.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I have no issues with Ceci. Our defence has looked like ass the past couple of games, inculding Rielly, but Ceci has more than held up his end.

I am hoping he can up his physical play around the boards and in front of Andersen, but for the most part I have no issues with him thus far. Obviously we won't be re-signing him for $4.5 next season but I wouldn't be averse to bringing him back, based on how things go with Muzzin & Barrie, and any UFA defence (i.e Pietro in StL.)..

Reactions: Keanu Reeves

NCoRe

Dec 30, 2007
Seinäjoki
I do know that Ceci is not perfect by any means, but in my books above average. These type of sentences makes me so full of Fury and pity for this absolute joke of a "reporter" of even "member of the media"

Cody Ceci is a horrible top line player, and it’s incompetent to play him this high in the lineup

If Leafs get a 7th rounder(For Ceci) they’ve turned a profit.

And

Justin Holl is – at the absolute worst – interchangeable with Ceci for $3.5 million in savings. Likely, he’s much better.
Martin Marincin is also just as good, if not better
(James Tanner)

Sometimes makes me just sad, because Theres a minority of fans who actually believes this man and dont watch games.... Sorry for venting. Just sick of this joke of a reporter

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I do know that Ceci is not perfect by any means, but in my books above average. These type of sentences makes me so full of Fury and pity for this absolute joke of a "reporter" of even "member of the media"

Cody Ceci is a horrible top line player, and it’s incompetent to play him this high in the lineup

If Leafs get a 7th rounder(For Ceci) they’ve turned a profit.

And

Justin Holl is – at the absolute worst – interchangeable with Ceci for $3.5 million in savings. Likely, he’s much better.
Martin Marincin is also just as good, if not better
(James Tanner)

Sometimes makes me just sad, because Theres a minority of fans who actually believes this man and dont watch games.... Sorry for venting. Just sick of this joke of a reporter
Why not just observe and make your own assessment? Why be concerned about others opinions? You're not fooled by that persons take,why do you think others are? Ceci has been good! That's my take.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I thought Ceci was good in this game. I thought he was good in the first two games of the season too. In between? Meh.

Statistically? He's got some points, but mostly ones where he's the "Oh, he got a point too?"-guy. He's got good on-ice stats, but I'd rather attribute that to the guy who tend to push such numbers, and has a history of buoying his partners.

NCoRe

Dec 30, 2007
Seinäjoki
I know a lot of folks thinks Tanner is informed writer (Which i do not understand) I'm sick n tired of these bums who just provocate us (me included)

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Ceci has been pretty good, not even going to look at the numbers, but he's been solid imho. A good partner for Rielly, he's been playing it pretty simple, not leading to many rushes into the O zone and turning it over. If someone can support that with numbers feel free, but I think this point in the schedule he will have started feeling comfortable with the systems. People forget half our lineup changed this season, no matter how good an individual player you are, it takes time to gel.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Ceci has been pretty good, not even going to look at the numbers, but he's been solid imho. A good partner for Rielly, he's been playing it pretty simple, not leading to many rushes into the O zone and turning it over. If someone can support that with numbers feel free, but I think this point in the schedule he will have started feeling comfortable with the systems. People forget half our lineup changed this season, no matter how good an individual player you are, it takes time to gel.

I find it odd that people are willing to be so patient with Barrie, but have Ceci on an extremely short leash. Its almost as if people had pre-conceived notions and aren't willing to budge off of them.

Maybe its just me, but I've liked Ceci a lot better than Barrie. Like you said, it takes time for players to adjust, and I'm sure they adjust at different rates.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
its early but......

Ceci 5v5 stats so far (via corsica):

TOI QoC%: 30.05 (13th toughest comp among all D in the NHL, tops on Leafs)
ZSR (Zone starts ratio): 39.29
CF%: 56.66 (+1.2 REL)
xGF% 49.51 (-1.64 REL)
GF%: 62.68 (+20.54 REL)

Tied for D lead in points. (on pace for 10ish goals and 50 points at 5v5)

If he keeps these numbers up all year, an absolute STEAL at 4.5 a year. Not sure why anyone could be mad as he's looked good in the eye test department too. I could only think another agenda clouding judgement if you dont like him so far.
He's been much better than I expected, I also don't know how people think we could have done better with the cap space we had available either. Here is the list of right shot defensemen that play at least 18 minutes a night and make $4.5M or less and aren't on ELC's.

Leafs.png

Klingberg, Pesce, Manson, and Savard aren't going anywhere this year and the only other interesting option I would consider taking a flyer on would be Severson.

I still think we should move him because if he keeps playing this way he will have a tonne of value and we won't be able to afford to re-sign him. But Dubas did extremely well in unloading Zaitsev and actually getting value with a guy that can play on the top pair.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I thought Ceci was good in this game. I thought he was good in the first two games of the season too. In between? Meh.

Statistically? He's got some points, but mostly ones where he's the "Oh, he got a point too?"-guy. He's got good on-ice stats, but I'd rather attribute that to the guy who tend to push such numbers, and has a history of buoying his partners.
But Rielly has worse numbers and I think his minutes are easier than Ceci's when they get separated

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I've been holding off on any assessment of Ceci until the 1st quarter of the season is over.

It's a major adjustment for a dman coming from a team like Ottawa with how they were constructed coming to our team and playing the hardest minutes with a forward group he hasn't developed chemistry with yet.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
He’s been alright.
Makes questionable reads & plays, but then makes a decent play and it’s kind of a wash.

Decent stop gap for now. But we gotta move on eventually

Reactions: Polaris1010

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011

That is sorta funny when you consider his last 3 defensive partners in Ottawa were Ben Harpur (you all remember him), Dion Phaneuf (and you all remember him) and Patrick Weircoch (no one should remember him). They played a grand total of less than 150 NHL games after they left Ceci's side, and two are out of hockey.

He was playing some of the toughest minutes in the league with those partners. I guess you could say technically he buoyed them, but it was one heck of a low bar.

And offensively he is OK. 60th in D man scoring this year. 72nd last year. And I think its closer to top 25 if you look just at even strength, as he gets no PP time. Not pretty, but a RHD who is somewhat passable as a shutdown D and provides decent offense is actually a commodity in this league, although that says more about the league than Ceci.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Ceci looks smaller than I thought he would.
Not sold on him by any means.

Too small to be a physical force, not fast enough or good enough puck mover to be an offensive D.

A middle of the pack meh player. Doesn't hurt to have him other than the large cap hit vs production.
In the short window that I have watched I prefer Z, but with the contracts as they are I far prefer Ceci.

It would be VERY bold.
But I wonder if Dubas had a do over if he would have passed on signing Ceci???
I think $4.5 in cap space is more valuable than this player.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
That is sorta funny when you consider his last 3 defensive partners in Ottawa were Ben Harpur (you all remember him), Dion Phaneuf (and you all remember him) and Patrick Weircoch (no one should remember him). They played a grand total of less than 150 NHL games after they left Ceci's side, and two are out of hockey.

He was playing some of the toughest minutes in the league with those partners. I guess you could say technically he buoyed them, but it was one heck of a low bar.

And offensively he is OK. 60th in D man scoring this year. 72nd last year. And I think its closer to top 25 if you look just at even strength, as he gets no PP time. Not pretty, but a RHD who is somewhat passable as a shutdown D and provides decent offense is actually a commodity in this league, although that says more about the league than Ceci.
You misunderstood. I was talking about Rielly.

Ceci is an anchor.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
Ceci looks smaller than I thought he would.
Not sold on him by any means.

Too small to be a physical force, not fast enough or good enough puck mover to be an offensive D.

A middle of the pack meh player. Doesn't hurt to have him other than the large cap hit vs production.
In the short window that I have watched I prefer Z, but with the contracts as they are I far prefer Ceci.

It would be VERY bold.
But I wonder if Dubas had a do over if he would have passed on signing Ceci???
I think $4.5 in cap space is more valuable than this player.

Just curious, who would you slot there instead?

And pretty sure we were locked into him for the season barring a trade.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
Not terrible, not great. I think he is one of those guys where if you don't notice him he is doing his job best.

Id still make the trade. Zaitsev was scared of the puck towards the end, dude just had his confidence shattered. Hope he does well in Ottawa.

Reactions: BayStBullies

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
The problem is you do notice him not doing his job well all too frequently. He has been less visible in the last few games mainly because Muzzin has stolen the show for good and bad reasons.

His numbers are fine individually, with a surprising team-leading 5v5 HDCF%*, but Rielly's are worse than last year so far. The worst-case scenario is that he gets propped up by playing with Rielly and a stacked forward corp and gets a raise when in reality he's not a significant upgrade on Hainsey.

* Are any of these shot quality-based metrics worth a damn?

Reactions: Menzinger

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
* Are any of these shot quality-based metrics worth a damn?

There is some value, mostly around average deployment. When you get to extremes, it starts to break down.

Ultimately here is the big number for me :

Player GA(5v5) GA(All)
Reilly 12 19
Muzzin 15 19
Ceci 9 13
Barrie 16 16

We know Ceci gets the hardest deployments (QOC/DZS/PK), and Muzzin gets decent PK time.

If Ceci can keep up this pace comparatively speaking and drop in 25-30 points, there really should be zero complaints.

One interesting thing is that the save percentage of the team is higher when ceci is on the ice, and much lower when the others are on. That could be the case of a few bad bounces early. That also was a hallmark of ceci last year too though where the team had a higher save percentage when he was on the ice. And an analysis of those D men playing high end shutdown minutes last year, Ceci was one of only 2 players in the league where the save percentage was higher with him on the ice.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Updated Ceci 5v5 (adjusted) stats (via corsica):

Out of the 38 dmen who have played 200+ 5v5 minutes so far this year:

TOI QoC%: 29.97 (2nd toughest comp, tops on Leafs)
ZSR (Zone starts ratio): 44.37 (8th lowest, lowest on Leafs)
CF%: 52.47 (-1.22 REL) (8th out of 38)
xGF% 53.69 (+6.81 REL) (8th out of 38)
GF%: 63.63 (+22.84 REL) (1st out of 38)

Primary points/60: 1.07 (11th out of 38)

Underlying stats would suggest one of the better top pairing RHDs out there but maybe some of his critics are seeing something I'm missing. Has had a bad game or two (like every dman in the league) but has looked pretty damn good most nights.

Reactions: ACC1224 and MyBudJT

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Updated Ceci 5v5 (adjusted) stats (via corsica):

Out of the 38 dmen who have played 200+ 5v5 minutes so far this year:

TOI QoC%: 29.97 (2nd toughest comp, tops on Leafs)
ZSR (Zone starts ratio): 44.37 (8th lowest, lowest on Leafs)
CF%: 52.47 (-1.22 REL) (8th out of 38)
xGF% 53.69 (+6.81 REL) (8th out of 38)
GF%: 63.63 (+22.84 REL) (1st out of 38)

Primary points/60: 1.07 (11th out of 38)

Underlying stats would suggest one of the better top pairing RHDs out there but maybe some of his critics are seeing something I'm missing. Has had a bad game or two (like every dman in the league) but has looked pretty damn good most nights.

I agree, I don't understand the hate he gets around here.

Ceci has been "walked" a couple of times, but so has most other defensmen...

Reactions: Buds17 and ACC1224

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Ceci and Rielly looked ok past 2 games. But the pair lacks the physical element. I expected more physical play from Ceci. He has a big body and can do it. But he doesn't. So that pair gets trapped on cycle a lot. Rielly always sucked at the cycle game and I thought Ceci who can skate much better than Hainsey would help stop it. But truth is they are very weak on the cycle.

Barrie and Muzzy do not make a good pair. Barrie looks lost on the ice. I don't see him rushing the puck up the ice like I saw in playoffs last year. It is like he is being nutured. This is his game so if he can't rush puck with us I say trade him now for a 1st. His defensive game is terribly weak. Muzzy looks good, our best D, but he is making the plays not Barrie. They are just not a good pair. I don't care about the world championship stuff means absolutely nothing in the NHL.

Holl is steady eddy. I like his game. Nothing special but we need defensive consistency.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad