Confirmed with Link: Leafs re-sign Cody Ceci to a 1 year 4.5M contract

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
The Rielly Ceci pairing is the most underrated issue going so far and it's it's not even close. Before you fire Babcock, Rielly/Ceci need to be fired.

All of a sudden Ron Hainsey doesn't look so bad huh?

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Does Dubas need to go for signing Ceci to a 1 year 4.5 million doll hair contract?
No lol

We needed somebody to play the right side this year especially if Liljegren wasn't ready and Ceci was worth taking a flyer on based on his past play with guys like Chabot.

His arbitration number would have likely been higher than that and we got out of 5 years of NTC Zaitsev.

If it gets to mid-season and he sucks and we need to make a move to upgrade I'm sure Dubas will take a shot like he did with Muzzin last year.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Does Dubas need to go for signing Ceci to a 1 year 4.5 million doll hair contract?

That is a terrible take. 1 he has been inconsistent, it's not like has has been all doom and gloom. He has had good moments as well, for example Ceci was amazing in game 2 and was pretty good in the Blues game as well. It's only 1 year and it got rid of Nikita's term so I still think it was a solid move.

Reactions: Tall Morty

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
We could have had Jake at the same money for 4 years. The misteps are piling up.

Well there is the issue there, it would have been longer term. They were just looking for a RHD stop gap until Liljegren is good to go in the big league.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
We could have had Jake at the same money for 4 years. The misteps are piling up.
Term was the big issue with this. I'm willing to bet that we offered a 1-2 year deal and he chose to go with term.

We have Rielly coming up in 2 years and Dermott to extend, as well as finding a goalie if we don't re-sign Andersen. The cap should go up but I really don't think they wanted to commit term to another player this past summer.

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka

The WORST issue is that Dubas signed Ceci without giving him max signing bonus! If he doesn't work out, he would be much easier to trade at < 1M salary!!

Am I missing something? why wouldn't Dubas front load the contract when we do it with the majority of other contracts for this very reason!

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
The WORST issue is that Dubas signed Ceci without giving him max signing bonus! If he doesn't work out, he would be much easier to trade at < 1M salary!!

Am I missing something? why wouldn't Dubas front load the contract when we do it with the majority of other contracts for this very reason!
Dubas isn't front loading and handing out huge signing bonuses because he intends to trade Tavares/Mathews/Marner/Nylander , he's doing it because their agents know it's a huge benefit to the player to get as much front end money as possible and to be buyout/lockout protected .

and do you actually think the owners want to pay millions to players to play for another team ?

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
Dubas isn't front loading and handing out huge signing bonuses because he intends to trade Tavares/Mathews/Marner/Nylander , he's doing it because their agents know it's a huge benefit to the player to get as much front end money as possible and to be buyout/lockout protected .

and do you actually think the owners want to pay millions to players to play for another team ?

Actually both are important! Yes, its great for the player for the reasons you outlined and our financial strength helps us with contracts like this, the 1 way 4th liner contracts, etc.

Nylander's on 6.96 AAV contract. Based on his contract structure, if Nylander was traded at beginning of this season, his annual salary be $4.9 M over 5 years.

As you say, owners want to pay less always so some owners see this is of value! Therefore, he has better trade value to some teams.

This year were as tight as ever to the cap and there's lots of speculation around which player would go including Ceci, Kappy, AJ, etc.

Injuries or the back up situation may force our hands.

The financing cost of a 4M signing bonus is what... 100k or less (my guess <40k)? Nothing to MLSE.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
I guess it could be because of Ceci, but Rielly has looked horrendous to start the year, and alot of the mistakes he has been making don't really have to do much with Ceci IMO.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I guess it could be because of Ceci, but Rielly has looked horrendous to start the year, and alot of the mistakes he has been making don't really have to do much with Ceci IMO.

Personally I think a lot of what you see is jitters and demoralized players. Think about the contracts that were handed out and all that drama. It's deflating, it really is for any team to go through such BS. First Nylander, he comes back and the team just went flat. Then Matthews gets paid and the team tbh got even worse, there were tweets about the Matthews contract from an agent even. Then they get into it with Marner, he comes back a day after camp, there is some pretty awkward expressions on Marners face at the presser. All of a sudden a totally cringe letter to the fans.

It's just drama. Lou left and it's been drama bomb after drama bomb with Dubas.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014

Why would you want Gardiner for 4 years? I'm Gardiner's biggest fan and I say hell no to that. Rielly/Dermott/Muzzin/Sandin/etc already on the left.

You're literally grasping for straws with your hate for Dubas, it's hilarious.

Reactions: kb and qqaz

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Personally I think a lot of what you see is jitters and demoralized players....

It's just drama. Lou left and it's been drama bomb after drama bomb with Dubas.

Personally I'd rather have a stacked team with some drama, than a bad team with no-drama.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Personally I'd rather have a stacked team with some drama, than a bad team with no-drama.

Teams with too much Drama almost never win. They end up playing as individuals or for contracts etc. That's how I see this team so far and also Babcock dropping the ball as well.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Teams with too much Drama almost never win. They end up playing as individuals or for contracts etc. That's how I see this team so far and also Babcock dropping the ball as well.

Rielly actually looks very unhappy since the start of camp.

Reactions: Luckylarry

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Rielly actually looks very unhappy since the start of camp.

I may be mistaken but to my knowledge he and Jake Gardiner were good buddies as well. I think he knows how little Jake just signed for and who he is playing with, so.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I may be mistaken but to my knowledge he and Jake Gardiner were good buddies as well. I think he knows how little Jake just signed for and who he is playing with, so.

The blueline needs a major renovation for the next few years. Probably needs to look like this:

Sandin-Pietrangelo* i.e. major UFA signing, paired with an ELC as a mentor.
Rielly-Pesce using Pesce as an example of an external acquisition, RHD, 6'2" and over, sort of a younger steadying hand that Rielly had with Hainsey.
Muzzin-Liljegren* Assuming we keep Muzzin our of the three of Barrie/Ceci/Muzzin but could also be Barrie depending on how things work out.

Basically 2 major upgrades coming at the expense of expiring UFA contracts and assuming we move out a couple of forwards.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
For all the troubles Leafs are enduring.
I am least concern about Reilly and Ceci.
I think they will figure it out.

I am more concern about the structure of the team defensively. It is the same old crap since Matthews started playing. It is like they are waiting for someone to bail them out instead of getting going as a unit.

Reactions: qqaz

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If Dubas resigned Jake, pretty sure some others will be like, why Dubas why, didn’t the last 2 Game 7 taught you anything

Considering the last game 7 in particular he shouldn't have even been on the ice. I don't know if I would pay much attention to those fans. Jake was and is a good defender, but if he has a lingering back injury, I get not signing him for a reason like that.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Considering the last game 7 in particular he shouldn't have even been on the ice. I don't know if I would pay much attention to those fans. Jake was and is a good defender, but if he has a lingering back injury, I get not signing him for a reason like that.

No doubt Jake is a NHL defender but it just so happened his mistakes are often in clutch time.
Also a change of scenery will probably be good for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->