"Leafs Play in a Weak Division"

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Leaf fans that don't even entertain the idea that the division is weak is pretty tone deaf.

The fact that so many so called fans of the game insult every other team in the division with their excuses for why the leafs are much more improved and better as a whole. Totally discounting everything that has happened injury wise... loss of 1C, 1W, 2W top 4 D and BOTH goalies...but we still keep rolling and HFB keep trolling about how qe are the only team playing crap teams.

Lets ignore all the crap american teams...fits the narrative here much better.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Leafs are definitely a top three team this year with Colorado and Tampa, I can see arguments of Boston and Vegas (maybe even Carolina) being close too. I think that in a normal season they’re top 3 right now but I’m not TOTALLY ready to say presidents trophy just yet.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Eh leaf fans beg for it, then if they lose and get kicked while they are down... they cry about it.

It’s the way of life on hfboards

Maybe one day folks will figure out the difference between Leaf Nation and Potato Nation. Toronto fans have LONG ago. Most of those so called complaining leaf fans here are not even leaf fans. Just looking to poke both sides of a discussion till a disagreement ensues and they vanish or come back with the oh so original '67. Hell you cannot even congratulate another team on a win anymore without being told to "stick to your own forums"

This place has lost its hold on rational thought and sportsmanship long ago sadly.

Reactions: hoglund

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Leafs play in the a division with a lot of flawed teams not necessarily weak. This will however, give them an easier road to the conference finals than their years of playing Boston in round 1. the division definitely is helping them, don't see how you can argue against that.

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016
Dom makes a great point in his article, not enough is being made about how the Leafs have the 4th best goals against per game (2.39) despite playing in the leagues best offensive division.

Great article by Dom this moring disproving the narrative that the leafs are a product of their division.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Maybe one day folks will figure out the difference between Leaf Nation and Potato Nation. Toronto fans have LONG ago. Most of those so called complaining leaf fans here are not even leaf fans. Just looking to poke both sides of a discussion till a disagreement ensues and they vanish or come back with the oh so original '67. Hell you cannot even congratulate another team on a win anymore without being told to "stick to your own forums"

This place has lost its hold on rational thought and sportsmanship long ago sadly.
Ya you kinda have to open that door, I post in a number of teams sub forums(hell even the kings) and looking through my messages a lot of my conversations are between me and leaf fans.

The problem is the leafs have a huge fan base and at times the annoying part of the base tend to be the ones making the annoying threads and bringing out the trolls

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
Dom makes a great point in his article, not enough is being made about how the Leafs have the 4th best goals against per game (2.39) despite playing in the leagues best offensive division.

Great article by Dom this moring disproving the narrative that the leafs are a product of their division.

many people on here have brought that up and no one has an answer for it.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
You not seeing virtually any discussion of the North being weak before the season started does not make the division not weak.
Okay, but my question to you (and anyone else reading this then) is, if nobody thought the division was going to be weak before the season and since then, there have been no interdivisional games, how can anyone conclude that the north is any worse than any other division?

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
I wouldnt say the division is weak, I would say that the division plays more open and that style of play usually benefits the Leafs because of their deep offense. As someone who cheers against the Leafs, I can appreciate that they seem to be a different and improved team so far. Its hard to say for sure due to the single division play but Dubas may have learned from his mistakes and added the right pieces in the off season. Playoffs, especially outside of the division, will be the real test.

Reactions: NyQuil

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Ya you kinda have to open that door, I post in a number of teams sub forums(hell even the kings) and looking through my messages a lot of my conversations are between me and leaf fans.

The problem is the leafs have a huge fan base and at times the annoying part of the base tend to be the ones making the annoying threads and bringing out the trolls

Truthfully... the majority of Leaf fans see those post/threads and cringe inside to varying degrees.

Its like I said to someone that called me a racist. The only race I hate is my own... the small minority make the rest of us look like toothless buffoons. Love everyone else

Reactions: Getz2noone

Number8

Oct 31, 2007

I mean this with the greatest respect but, honestly, who cares? And that's not a rhetorical question.

Your Leafs are playing well and are no doubt one of strongest teams in the league this season. Strongest, one of top three strongest, one of top five, top seven. Who cares?

Delving into some sort of mental masturbation over whether the Leafs schedule this season is part of their success, all of their success, or none of their success is irrelevant. Just as the question of how they'd do against other teams this season. No one will every know -- because the schedule is not set up that way. If my ass could, in perfect tune, whistle the entire Beethoven's 5th would I win a talent show? I don't know, because despite great effort my ass cannot carry a tune, and therefore the debate is moot. Your chance to know whether the Leafs would beat Tampa in this regular season is the same as the chance of my asshole being invited to Carnegie Hall and being asked to blow out an aria worthy of bringing tears to the eye.

Wait for the playoffs, and hope your team is healthy and capable to win the Cup. Then run around here and brag, do "told you so's", and celebrate to your hearts content.

Until then, I'd avoid fuelling the fire for those of us who are just aching to see the Leafs bow out in the first round. Not necessarily due to any hate of the Leafs, but because it's just so funny and predictable. It's happened for years and if it happens it will be funny again -- because like Charlie Brown, some of you set yourself up for it over and over and over again.

You might have the answer this year, time will tell. Bit of friendly advice..... be patient, enjoy the success you are having now, and keep your powder dry.

Why do people cruelly pull out the 1967 barb???? In large part because some of you almost literally beg them to do it.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Truthfully... the majority of Leaf fans see those post/threads and cringe inside to varying degrees.

Its like I said to someone that called me a racist. The only race I hate is my own... the small minority make the rest of us look like toothless buffoons. Love everyone else
I had a little fun above. I suspect what you say is entirely true.

The fans that seem to beg for accolades and praise really do set the table for some harsh medicine. I'm certain they do fans like you a disservice.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Until then, I'd avoid fuelling the fire for those of us who are just aching to see the Leafs bow out in the first round. Not necessarily due to any hate of the Leafs, but because it's just so funny and predictable. It's happened for years and if it happens it will be funny again -- because like Charlie Brown, some of you set yourself up for it over and over and over again.

You might have the answer this year, time will tell. Bit of friendly advice..... be patient, enjoy the success you are having now, and keep your powder dry.

Why do people cruelly pull out the 1967 barb???? In large part because some of you almost literally beg
them to do it.

To be fair, this is more of an anti-Leaf thread you are posting in, not a pro-Leaf thread.

It's just as silly to criticize the Leafs for playing in the North when that's where the NHL put them.

Last edited:

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
To be fair, this is an anti-Leaf thread you are posting in, not a pro-Leaf thread.

It's just as silly to criticize the Leafs for playing in the North when that's where the NHL put them.
No, I get it. However, I suspect at least part of the reason it was put up in the first place was to counter the fact that the Main Boards are often subject to "Joe Thornton thinks Austin Matthews is Nifty" type threads.

Leafs fans would be well suited chill out on the Main Boards and enjoy their successful start to the season.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

One of my favorite things about the site is the ability to talk with other fan bases about their players/prospects and love of hockey(every fan base has those annoying fans tho) Don’t have that doorway where I live as there arnt many hardcore hockey fans round here. It is annoying when you go to a sub forum for a diff team and have fans showing the door.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
One of my favorite things about the site is the ability to talk with other fan bases about their players/prospects and love of hockey(every fan base has those annoying fans tho) Don’t have that doorway where I live as there arent many hardcore hockey fans round here. It is annoying when you go to a sub forum for a diff team and have fans showing the door.

As a former moderator, there is no greater dread than seeing "X fan, coming in peace" in your post-game thread.

Ultimately I've come to see the subforums as venting locations and an outlet for some occasionally extreme and emotional reactions on the part of individual fanbases.

I'll read the subforums for other teams but typically I do not post in them anymore.

No matter how innocent the intent, it usually goes sideways pretty quickly. If I want to know something, I'll send a prominent poster a PM or whatever.

Most interesting topics can be covered on any number of non-team boards anyway.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
As a former moderator, there is no greater dread than seeing "X fan, coming in peace" in your post-game thread.

Ultimately I've come to see the subforums as venting locations and an outlet for some occasionally extreme and emotional reactions on the part of individual fanbases.

I'll read the subforums on other boards but typically I do not post in them anymore.

No matter how innocent the intent, it usually goes sideways pretty quickly. If I want to know something, I'll send a prominent poster a PM or whatever.

Most interesting topics can be covered on any number of non-team boards anyway.

Well ill give a shout out to the Hurricanes, Kings and Avalanche subforums... as all 3 have been very welcoming and easy to have mature hockey discussions with.

Extra shout out to the kings fan base , as im a duck fan and id completely understand if they told me to get out and stay out, but they've always had good discussions with me about each others players/prospets. Id go as far to say i prefer talking with king fans rather than duck fans on this forum.

Reactions: NyQuil

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
The reason people keep bringing up playoffs is because this leafs team hasn't gone past the first round and even if you think they are guaranteed to do it this year, still gotta play the games and prove it. Which is all people have been saying. You gotta prove it. The crowning of a team before doing anything is understandably annoying to fans who want to see more out of them before crowning them. Is that really offensive to some leaf fans? No were not going to crown you as best in the league until you actually prove it. Sorry thats how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad