"Leafs Play in a Weak Division"

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaner82

Apr 18, 2017
The Leafs are the best team in the league and will come out of the North division. Wouldn't be at all surprised if they won the cup.

I think the Leafs can beat any team come playoff time, but if they do play Tampa, my money would be on Tampa. Tampa is just too good I think and they know what it takes to win it all. I think Toronto beats every other team

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
Pretty sure the thing that's stupid is the idea that the Leafs can't even compete against top teams in other divisions. They've done nothing to show that they can't. If they were going to be steamrolled as some here put it, then we would have seen evidence of this in previous playoff series'.

While they haven't made it out of the first round since 2004, since 2017 they have played in a total of 25 of 26 possible playoff games in the first round. You'd think if they were as weak as some have made them out to be there would be at least one sweep in there. Yet they've done this with a below average defense core. Guess what, their defense core is well above average this season and their offence hasn't faltered either.

These guys aren't going to roll over. If the opposite happens and they do, you can bet your ass that Leaf fans will be jumping the gates with pitchforks in hand.

CaperJay

Sep 27, 2016
Okay...1967 or whatever year it was...should we go through the history of what has happened since then? Man Walks On Moon...Beatles break up...Nixon visits China...ENd of Vietnam War...Disco...Home Computer Invented by Steve Jobs...Elvis dies...Jim Jones Mass Suicide...1st Star Wars released...Three Mile Island...Miracle on Ice...Disco dies...Lennon murdered...MTV launched...Reagan shot...Falkland Islands...First Mac sold...hole in the Ozone found...Live Aid...1st game boy introduced...Chernobyl...Challenger explodes...Simpson debuts...Berlin wall falls...Exxon Valdez...break up of Soviet Union...Germany Reunited...1st Iraq War...Apartheid ENDS...Cold War ends...Branch Davidians...1st text message sent...OJ Simpson Trial...Mad Cow Disease...1st Harry Potter Book...Oklahoma City Bombing...Monica Lewinsky...Google debuts...Y2K scare...Dot Com bubble burst...Enron dies...Sept 11th...IPOD craze...2nd Iraq War...Columbia explodes...Da Vinci Code Book released...FaceBook debuts...London bombings...YouTube debuts...Bonds hits 715...Mortgage sub prime collapse...Last Potter book released...Obama becomes first AA President...Lehman brothers dies...Deepwater Horizon...Occupy Wall Street...Trump...Brexit...Corona...

WIN IT ALL and then you can act like you've won something important.

I'll be the 1st to congratulate you.

Until then...please chill the hell out. Please.
You sir are a legend and are a lock for post of the year lol

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Top 5 in the North?

I would be curious to know how Edmonton Winnipeg Montreal Vancouver Ottawa and Calgary fans see the North division in comparison to the top teams in each of the other divisions.

Is Toronto truly a superior team dominating the North?
The Leafs have a record of 17 wins 6 losses (2 in OT). They have a +26 goal differential. They have the best winning percentage in the league. Of course they are dominating.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
HAHA, litterally just came to post this. For anyone who doesn't have an account, heres a quick snippit.

Perhaps surprisingly, the Leafs schedule doesn’t appear as easy as some might expect among the top 10 teams. In fact – it’s been among the hardest.
(All data prior to Tuesday’s games.)

Now, “hardest” is obviously relative here. The Leafs’ fleet of opponents have been below average on the whole, but so too have seven of the other top 10 teams. Only Carolina and Washington have had an above average strength of schedule so far.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
Mirtle has said it's ridiculous how many angry Western Candian fans are telling him it's the worst division ever, evn with their own teams in it.
It'\s an excuse.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Mirtle has said it's ridiculous how many angry Western Candian fans are telling him it's the worst division ever, evn with their own teams in it.
It'\s an excuse.
Yes, but it is only Leaf-fans and their Toronto-based media who sits and pump up this division to be something it is not.
Last season, Toronto was the only team who would make the playoffs, Winnipeg was not in a spot, both Flames and Canucks was falling, so it is by far the weakeast division. Canucks had a pdo run in the playoffs and lost everything in the summer, and dont ask what Montreal did, they went full Benning-mode and signed a bunch of middle-tier players to expnesive contracst, that will bite them (besides Toffoli, it is a great contract).
Leaf is the only good team, and this is the year they can make it, so enjoy. Jets had 1 year, and then it fall apart =)

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
Yes, but it is only Leaf-fans and their Toronto-based media who sits and pump up this division to be something it is not.
Last season, Toronto was the only team who would make the playoffs, Winnipeg was not in a spot, both Flames and Canucks was falling, so it is by far the weakeast division. Canucks had a pdo run in the playoffs and lost everything in the summer, and dont ask what Montreal did, they went full Benning-mode and signed a bunch of middle-tier players to expnesive contracst, that will bite them (besides Toffoli, it is a gre
. at contract).
Leaf is the only good team, and this is the year they can make it, so enjoy. Jets had 1 year, and then it fall apart =)
I'm not seeing that from any media. In fact the Toronto media was handing-out awards to the Habs the first month of the season.
I saw the first complimentary column in Toronto today for Sheldon Keefe. He and Dubas are not gettinga ny attention.

Sportsnet had to put out a column yesterday talking about the Leafs cap because they've spent 3 years on the "cap hell" narrative and that everyone was leaving.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
If Toronto wins games convincingly, the division must be weak! Toronto can't just be a great team... because... because... I said so...

:eyeroll:
Leaf fans that don't even entertain the idea that the division is weak is pretty tone deaf.

Last edited:

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
Leaf fans that don't even entertain the idea that the division is weak is pretty tone deaf.

It's not that they don't, it's just the idea North is so bad has become comically over-the-top and now seems to be used as an excuse.

gtforepro

Feb 9, 2013
Toronto
NoDepositBonus.cc
Vegas thinks the Leafs are the favourite.

2021 NHL Stanley Cup Futures
TeamOdds
Toronto Maple Leafs+700
Colorado Avalanche+725
Tampa Bay Lightning+750
Vegas Golden Knights+750
Boston Bruins+850
Montreal Canadiens+1400
Carolina Hurricanes+1400
St. Louis Blues+1800
Philadelphia Flyers+2200
Edmonton Oilers+1800
Florida Panthers+2400
New York Islanders+2500
Washington Capitals+2500
Pittsburgh Penguins+3000
Dallas Stars+3300
Calgary Flames+3300
Winnipeg Jets+3500
Chicago Blackhawks+5500
Minnesota Wild+6000
New York Rangers+6600
Vancouver Canucks+6600
Arizona Coyotes+7000
Columbus Blue Jackets+7000
New Jersey Devils+9000
Nashville Predators+10000
Buffalo Sabres+10000
Los Angeles Kings+10000
Anaheim Ducks+15000
San Jose Sharks+20000
Ottawa Senators+50000
Detroit Red Wings+50000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021

TeamOdds
Toronto Maple Leafs+700
Colorado Avalanche+725
Tampa Bay Lightning+750
Vegas Golden Knights+750
Boston Bruins+850
Montreal Canadiens+1400
Carolina Hurricanes+1400
St. Louis Blues+1800
Philadelphia Flyers+2200
Edmonton Oilers+1800
Florida Panthers+2400
New York Islanders+2500
Washington Capitals+2500
Pittsburgh Penguins+3000
Dallas Stars+3300
Calgary Flames+3300
Winnipeg Jets+3500
Chicago Blackhawks+5500
Minnesota Wild+6000
New York Rangers+6600
Vancouver Canucks+6600
Arizona Coyotes+7000
New Jersey Devils+9000
Buffalo Sabres+10000
Los Angeles Kings+10000
Anaheim Ducks+15000
San Jose Sharks+20000
Ottawa Senators+50000
Detroit Red Wings+50000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Betting odds never obsess over what happened 3-5+ years ago.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Dom Luszczyszyn did some research, and it turns out the Leafs have actually had a tougher schedule than the vast majority of the top teams, BUT he points out that all the top teams besides Carolina and Washington have had easy schedules. So it's obvious that most of the top teams are benefiting from their division...

View attachment 402712

The most telling thing from his piece was how the Leafs defensive game has become elite. Saying that the North division has high-octane offence average a lot of goals a game but the Leafs GAA is still near the bottom of the entire league.

I don't even know you could calculate this given that each of the divisions essentially forms its own league. It's essentially kinda like old-time college football rankings. Playoffs this year will be like bowl season i.e. eye openers regarding the real strength of the divisions.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto

TeamOdds
Toronto Maple Leafs+700
Colorado Avalanche+725
Tampa Bay Lightning+750
Vegas Golden Knights+750
Boston Bruins+850
Montreal Canadiens+1400
Carolina Hurricanes+1400
St. Louis Blues+1800
Philadelphia Flyers+2200
Edmonton Oilers+1800
Florida Panthers+2400
New York Islanders+2500
Washington Capitals+2500
Pittsburgh Penguins+3000
Dallas Stars+3300
Calgary Flames+3300
Winnipeg Jets+3500
Chicago Blackhawks+5500
Minnesota Wild+6000
New York Rangers+6600
Vancouver Canucks+6600
Arizona Coyotes+7000
New Jersey Devils+9000
Buffalo Sabres+10000
Los Angeles Kings+10000
Anaheim Ducks+15000
San Jose Sharks+20000
Ottawa Senators+50000
Detroit Red Wings+50000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

That doesn't maen they think the leafs are favorites, it means they don't want to lose money and adjust the lines based on betting. What it really means is the Leafs are likely in a good spot to win, but more importantly, more people are betting on the Leafs than any other team.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I think the Leafs can beat any team come playoff time, but if they do play Tampa, my money would be on Tampa. Tampa is just too good I think and they know what it takes to win it all. I think Toronto beats every other team

Tampa is the one team I have wanted to face 3 years running. Not because I think it is an easy series but because I think it has the possibility to be the most entertaining series of any round. Two highly, highly skilled teams that I believe would both go for it. None of this boring hockey. Full skill on display. As a fan of seeing what the truly gifted can do, I think that has all the markings of an absolutely fantastic series.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Tampa is the one team I have wanted to face 3 years running. Not because I think it is an easy series but because I think it has the possibility to be the most entertaining series of any round. Two highly, highly skilled teams that I believe would both go for it. None of this boring hockey. Full skill on display. As a fan of seeing what the truly gifted can do, I think that has all the markings of an absolutely fantastic series.
I prefer Boston vs Toronto

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
If you read around the forum prior to the season starting, there was virtually no discussion about the North being weak.

It became weak when the Leafs started dominating it because of anti Leaf bias on HF.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
If you read around the forum prior to the season starting, there was virtually no discussion about the North being weak.

It became weak when the Leafs started dominating it because of anti Leaf bias on HF.
You not seeing virtually any discussion of the North being weak before the season started does not make the division not weak.

Reactions: ClydeLee

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
You not seeing virtually any discussion of the North being weak before the season started does not make the division not weak.
Then if you want to see it that way (which isn't true at all), there was a large contingent completely downplaying the Leafs and ranking them 3rd-5th prior to the season starting. The anti Leaf bias seems to ruin honest discussion on the main board.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021

Of course. When Habs were in first no one said that at all

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Also far from what I saw.

I don't know why so many Leafs fans are thinking this, maybe Canadian outlets were pushing it to be some competitive division, but from the get-go it seemed the thing the Leafs would cakewalk but won't matter until we get playoffs.

That Dom article focuses on there being not more low tier teams, but there is zero top tier threats competing with them. Other divisions have their other threats at the top of each division. that's why people think the North is the weakest because it's just the Leafs and no threat.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
Then if you want to see it that way (which isn't true at all), there was a large contingent completely downplaying the Leafs and ranking them 3rd-5th. The anti Leaf bias seems to ruin honest discussion on the main board.
As for me, I see the Leafs as a good team clearly the best in this smaller and weaker division, but I find it very difficult to understand just how good they are without seeing them playing other teams outside of this division.

It's possible they are cup material, it's also possible they are lose again in the first round material. Them only playing my weak team and the other weak teams in this division make it complicated for me to properly evaluate the Leafs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad