"Leafs Play in a Weak Division"

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Leafs are a great team, top-5 team in the league

The North Division still sucks ass.

I think it's more about the other Canadiand fans being inseccure about their division.

The funny thing is the Atlantic division would've probably been the most competetive. Toronto, Boston, Florida, Tampa

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Let's put this way. If the TML is the best NHL team and already has enough to win the SC, then will most of the fans want? Keep the same players so they do not need to mess with the chemistry and do nothing at the deadline? Or do they think they still need improvement somewhere and should make a couple of deals to get even better?

Normally if a team is doing great, they do not want to trade players on the roster as it may back fire on them if they mess the chemistry or if the incomer does not play up to expectation and potentially take away a spot from someone who has actually played real well during the season.

Would the fans looked at the other top contenders around the league and says, maybe that team is better than us in this area and we need to improve here in order to be competitive in the post season. Tampa is not going away and they still need to deal with teams like Caps and Vegas that knows how to win when they are healthy.

Do not rely on the stats. Looked at the construction of the team and compare to other contenders as comes to playoff you have to play a certain way each game each shift and it is very different from cruising through the regular season, especially when teams in that division does not have great defense and goalie duos.

By the way Canucks made the post season but they lost key players in the off season (especially on defense) and their goaltending duo this season has not been that clutch.

How do I evaluate goalies? Can they make the timely saves when it really matters? Because the mental part of the goalies' games is the toughest one.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
I have to chuckle. People argue about playoff series which have yet to be played!

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
The Leafs are the best team in the league and will come out of the North division. Wouldn't be at all surprised if they won the cup.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
They do but they still have to win. Their team defense has improved alot under Keefe. Will be interesting to see how they stack up to the West Div when they meant in the Conference.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
I think the last two games against the Oilers prove what kind of a division the Leafs are playing in. Although the Jets might be making a resurgence this division is incredibly weak.

So it makes it quite difficult to gauge exactly how good the Leafs really are.

muddywaters

GO FLAMES GO
Jul 12, 2006
Cedarbrae
I don't think the Flames are very good this year ... that said I wouldn't be afraid to play the Leafs in a playoff series if I was Calgary ... I have doubts the Flames will even make the playoffs though ... the North Division is up for grabs ... whatever team gets hot at the right time will take it ... I do not see a clear favorite ..

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Okay...1967 or whatever year it was...should we go through the history of what has happened since then? Man Walks On Moon...Beatles break up...Nixon visits China...ENd of Vietnam War...Disco...Home Computer Invented by Steve Jobs...Elvis dies...Jim Jones Mass Suicide...1st Star Wars released...Three Mile Island...Miracle on Ice...Disco dies...Lennon murdered...MTV launched...Reagan shot...Falkland Islands...First Mac sold...hole in the Ozone found...Live Aid...1st game boy introduced...Chernobyl...Challenger explodes...Simpson debuts...Berlin wall falls...Exxon Valdez...break up of Soviet Union...Germany Reunited...1st Iraq War...Apartheid ENDS...Cold War ends...Branch Davidians...1st text message sent...OJ Simpson Trial...Mad Cow Disease...1st Harry Potter Book...Oklahoma City Bombing...Monica Lewinsky...Google debuts...Y2K scare...Dot Com bubble burst...Enron dies...Sept 11th...IPOD craze...2nd Iraq War...Columbia explodes...Da Vinci Code Book released...FaceBook debuts...London bombings...YouTube debuts...Bonds hits 715...Mortgage sub prime collapse...Last Potter book released...Obama becomes first AA President...Lehman brothers dies...Deepwater Horizon...Occupy Wall Street...Trump...Brexit...Corona...

WIN IT ALL and then you can act like you've won something important.

I'll be the 1st to congratulate you.

Until then...please chill the hell out. Please.

OMG this was way too funny and a rude awakening for leaf fans to boot!

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Current teams out of a playoff spot (excluding the North):

Columbus
Nashville
Detroit
Dallas
Pittsburgh
NY Rangers
New Jersey
Buffalo
Los Angeles
Arizona
San Jose
Anaheim

Which "actual" good teams are you referring to?

Easily in the top 4 North ...

Columbus
Dallas
Pittsburgh
NY Rangers
New Jersey
Buffalo

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Okay...1967 or whatever year it was...should we go through the history of what has happened since then? Man Walks On Moon...Beatles break up...Nixon visits China...ENd of Vietnam War...Disco...Home Computer Invented by Steve Jobs...Elvis dies...Jim Jones Mass Suicide...1st Star Wars released...Three Mile Island...Miracle on Ice...Disco dies...Lennon murdered...MTV launched...Reagan shot...Falkland Islands...First Mac sold...hole in the Ozone found...Live Aid...1st game boy introduced...Chernobyl...Challenger explodes...Simpson debuts...Berlin wall falls...Exxon Valdez...break up of Soviet Union...Germany Reunited...1st Iraq War...Apartheid ENDS...Cold War ends...Branch Davidians...1st text message sent...OJ Simpson Trial...Mad Cow Disease...1st Harry Potter Book...Oklahoma City Bombing...Monica Lewinsky...Google debuts...Y2K scare...Dot Com bubble burst...Enron dies...Sept 11th...IPOD craze...2nd Iraq War...Columbia explodes...Da Vinci Code Book released...FaceBook debuts...London bombings...YouTube debuts...Bonds hits 715...Mortgage sub prime collapse...Last Potter book released...Obama becomes first AA President...Lehman brothers dies...Deepwater Horizon...Occupy Wall Street...Trump...Brexit...Corona...

WIN IT ALL and then you can act like you've won something important.

I'll be the 1st to congratulate you.

Until then...please chill the hell out. Please.
The most creative post I have read here in awhile. This is like travelling through a time capsule.

Reactions: Blowfish

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Why would we want to trade the guy who'll be top 5 in points?

Top 5 in the North?

I would be curious to know how Edmonton Winnipeg Montreal Vancouver Ottawa and Calgary fans see the North division in comparison to the top teams in each of the other divisions.

Is Toronto truly a superior team dominating the North?

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Top 5 in the North?

I would be curious to know how Edmonton Winnipeg Montreal Vancouver Ottawa and Calgary fans see the North division in comparison to the top teams in each of the other divisions.

I don't get all the North is a shitty division talk. I think some good to really good teams are trading points while the Leafs seem to keep winning. Ottawa, for as bad as their start had been, I think are no where near as bad as some of the other bottom feeders in the other divisions.
For arguments sake, say the Leafs made it to the top 4 - I'm confident they'd handle the top teams from the other divisions, with the only exception being Tampa. Tampa's the only team that would scare me at this point, maybe Colorado but to a lesser extent.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Top 5 in the North?

I was talking about Marner being a top 5 point producer.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I don't get all the North is a shitty division talk. I think some good to really good teams are trading points while the Leafs seem to keep winning. Ottawa, for as bad as their start had been, I think are no where near as bad as some of the other bottom feeders in the other divisions.
For arguments sake, say the Leafs made it to the top 4 - I'm confident they'd handle the top teams from the other divisions, with the only exception being Tampa. Tampa's the only team that would scare me at this point, maybe Colorado but to a lesser extent.

And to this point, it's not like Tampa would be licking their chops to play the Leafs either, the Leafs have played against them really well under Keefe.

Reactions: Pongs21

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Dom Luszczyszyn did some research, and it turns out the Leafs have actually had a tougher schedule than the vast majority of the top teams, BUT he points out that all the top teams besides Carolina and Washington have had easy schedules. So it's obvious that most of the top teams are benefiting from their division...

upload_2021-3-3_9-22-58.png

The most telling thing from his piece was how the Leafs defensive game has become elite. Saying that the North division has high-octane offence average a lot of goals a game but the Leafs GAA is still near the bottom of the entire league.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I think the last two games against the Oilers prove what kind of a division the Leafs are playing in. Although the Jets might be making a resurgence this division is incredibly weak.
If Toronto wins games convincingly, the division must be weak! Toronto can't just be a great team... because... because... I said so...

:eyeroll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad