"Leafs Play in a Weak Division"

Status
Not open for further replies.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Well ill give a shout out to the Hurricanes, Kings and Avalanche subforums... as all 3 have been very welcoming and easy to have mature hockey discussions with.

Extra shout out to the kings fan base , as im a duck fan and id completely understand if they told me to get out and stay out, but they've always had good discussions with me about each others players/prospets. Id go as far to say i prefer talking with king fans rather than duck fans on this forum.

That's great, just STAY THE HELL OUT OF THE SENS FORUM.

J/k.

Reactions: Getz2noone

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The reason people keep bringing up playoffs is because this leafs team hasn't gone past the first round and even if you think they are guaranteed to do it this year, still gotta play the games and prove it. Which is all people have been saying. You gotta prove it. The crowning of a team before doing anything is understandably annoying to fans who want to see more out of them before crowning them. Is that really offensive to some leaf fans? No were not going to crown you as best in the league until you actually prove it. Sorry thats how it works.

Well, it was kind of like Tampa Bay last year.

After the Blue Jackets series, they really couldn't do anything until the playoffs to change people's minds one way or another.

That winning reputation could only be established in the post-season.

At the same time, it's a pretty tall order to expect Leaf fans not to talk about anything for months on end.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
If you read around the forum prior to the season starting, there was virtually no discussion about the North being weak.

It became weak when the Leafs started dominating it because of anti Leaf bias on HF.
Weird. Here I am talking about it in the Habs cup contender thread... Way before the Leafs took over the division lead...

No. My point the entire time has been that the perception of the North is hurt by the fact that there isn't an elite team in it. 1-6 may be bunched together, but put any of those 1-6 in another division, and they would be expected to finish 3rd or 4th.

The North is a bunch of teams that were playoff bubble teams last season plus Montreal and Ottawa. Now Montreal is off to a hot start and so far their offseason acquisitions are home runs, but the universal praise won't come for any team in the North until they finally face a team that has more talent then them which they likely won't see until the Conference Finals.

Clear as day you didn't spend any time reading that thread where plenty of posters immediately talked about how weak the North was at the top...

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

jibbz

Mar 9, 2019
Yes, they quite clearly do play in a weak division. Lock thread, ban OP

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

After the Blue Jackets series, they really couldn't do anything until the playoffs to change people's minds one way or another.

At the same time, it's a pretty tall order to expect Leaf fans not to talk about anything for months on end.

I'm not saying they shouldn't talk about anything. Just saying let's be real about this team. They play in a division that majority of people say isn't very good. You got a leaf team that has proven nothing in the playoffs. Then they do well in a division that everyone deems not all that great and some leaf fans are upset when we say prove it first as they've proven nothing. All the good teams get it until they win it. The leafs are no exception to that.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
As a former moderator, there is no greater dread than seeing "X fan, coming in peace" in your post-game thread.

Ultimately I've come to see the subforums as venting locations and an outlet for some occasionally extreme and emotional reactions on the part of individual fanbases.

I'll read the subforums for other teams but typically I do not post in them anymore.

No matter how innocent the intent, it usually goes sideways pretty quickly. If I want to know something, I'll send a prominent poster a PM or whatever.

Most interesting topics can be covered on any number of non-team boards anyway.
I'll bet you've seen some beauties in the GDT's. :laugh::laugh:Poor Wally and Fenway have to stop B's fans from eating each other if the game is not going well. Let alone if a "coming in peace" fan wanders in when the temperature is high.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'll bet you've seen some beauties in the GDT's. :laugh::laugh:Poor Wally and Fenway have to stop B's fans from eating each other if the game is not going well. Let alone if a "coming in peace" fan wanders in when the temperature is high.

I think the low-point for Ottawa in my tenure was the Buffalo-Ottawa rivalry in the mid to late 2000s.

Some close games, a couple of playoff series, and more than a few injuries, borderline suspendable plays and brawls.

@Chainshot and I used to chat well in advance of games about how we would handle each other's fans showing up and setting and posting the ground rules so posters knew what was waiting for them.

One solution I think we used at one point was me actually infracting the Senators fan trolls on the Buffalo board to let them know it was not cool, and vice versa. It's a ways back though, so maybe I'm mis-remembering.

Last edited:

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I think the low-point for Ottawa was the Buffalo-Ottawa rivalry in the mid to late 2000s.

Some close games, a couple of playoff series, and more than a few very injuries, borderline suspendable plays and brawls.

@Chainshot and I used to chat well in advance of games about how we would handle each other's fans showing up and setting and posting the ground rules so posters knew what was waiting for them.
Sounds like you were like the 1980's police in UK managing "firms" from opposing football teams, meeting ahead of big matches to man the train stations.:laugh:

Reactions: NyQuil

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
If the Leafs play in a "weak division" with crazy-high scoring offense.

A lot of HF users say that Leafs are #1 for GF/Game because they play in the North. That's why they're #1.

Than why are the Leafs #5 in the NHL FOR GA/Game?

If the North has such high-scoring crazy offense, isn't it even more impressive that the Leafs are TOP5 in the NHL for GA/Game? You can make an argument that they should be #1 for GA since they play in such a high scoring division.

Thus, the Leafs are the team to beat this year. They are the best team in the NHL's first 22 games so far.

Any objectioins?

Any objections?

Yes, we have no idea if they are 5th in the NHL for GA/Game because they aren't in the NHL.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
This is considered a "hate" thread? Man people should be wearing bubble paper wrapped around them and ear phones that translate all "hate" to everything you want to hear.
It wouldn't be a hate thread if the title of the thread was the North division is weak, when it isolated the Leafs and not the other teams it became a hate thread.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
As a former moderator, there is no greater dread than seeing "X fan, coming in peace" in your post-game thread.

Ultimately I've come to see the subforums as venting locations and an outlet for some occasionally extreme and emotional reactions on the part of individual fanbases.

I'll read the subforums for other teams but typically I do not post in them anymore.

No matter how innocent the intent, it usually goes sideways pretty quickly.
If I want to know something, I'll send a prominent poster a PM or whatever.

This is why I always give credit to the Islanders' subforum. As a division rival fan, one would think I'd be very unwelcome with my opinions on there. But they've generally been really welcoming on there. Except @PWJunior. He's just a bully.

Reactions: PWJunior

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Weird. Here I am talking about it in the Habs cup contender thread... Way before the Leafs took over the division lead...

Clear as day you didn't spend any time reading that thread where plenty of posters immediately talked about how weak the North was at the top...

weird, none of them want to reply to this post?

Everyone’s out to get muh leafs ahhhhhhh

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
The North Division in general has played much less OT than the other division which I think skews peoples perceptions towards it slightly:

North: 13 loser points in 164 GP
Central: 22 in 174
East: 22 in 160
West: 19 in 160

If each team in the North had 1 extra loser point (20 in 164 GP, close to the others), each northern team would move up at least 1, sometimes 2 spots in the standings by point%.

I do think the North is weak, but I don't think it's as weak as people are saying. Toronto, Edmonton and Winnipeg are legit playoff teams, and we had conferences in the past where only 3 teams from a division went. How would this be any different?

T REX

Feb 28, 2013

And Washington before that. Great teams win it. Others talk about it.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016

No matter how innocent the intent, it usually goes sideways pretty quickly. If I want to know something, I'll send a prominent poster a PM or whatever.

I agree, I noticed you can get away with a lil pre game friendly ribbing on a team specific board but post game emotions are too high. There have been rare occasions where the game was soo good that both teams fans wanted to talk about it. Ie the Leaf-Hawks game where Matthews and Kane were 1 upping each other all game. I had great convo's Hawk fans on both boards. Sometimes things happen that makes us all remember that we are hockey fans 1st.

Joe n

Aug 12, 2019
The North Division in general has played much less OT than the other division which I think skews peoples perceptions towards it slightly:

North: 13 loser points in 164 GP
Central: 22 in 174
East: 22 in 160
West: 19 in 160

If each team in the North had 1 extra loser point (20 in 164 GP, close to the others), each northern team would move up at least 1, sometimes 2 spots in the standings by point%.

I do think the North is weak, but I don't think it's as weak as people are saying. Toronto, Edmonton and Winnipeg are legit playoff teams, and we had conferences in the past where only 3 teams from a division went. How would this be any different?
I think that's the problem. Most Leaf fans know it's week, but some are trying to make it sound likes it's the weakest division ever and the only reason the Leafs are doing well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad