Prospect Info: Leafs' Pick #86 -- Joshua Leivo - LW - 6-2/180 -Sudbury Wolves (OHL)

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
wasn't really following the draft in depth back in 2011, seems like Leivo was a bit of an off the board pick based on the post game questions on CBC.

Seems like he's working out rather well through 2 years. Hope he continues to develop.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
wasn't really following the draft in depth back in 2011, seems like Leivo was a bit of an off the board pick based on the post game questions on CBC.

Seems like he's working out rather well through 2 years. Hope he continues to develop.

Leivo had broken out the previous OHL playoffs and was a bit of a risky pick because he hadn't played at that elevated level for too long.

Score one for Morrison.

He's played well all preseason and tonight was the cherry on top. I think he's quickly moved up the depth chart for call-ups.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
A lot of posters here get upset we don't pick that "sexy" pick like a Kiril Kabanov type. Even though we have, like Mikhail Stefanovich and Sondre Olden. But I consider guys like Leivo and Verhaeghe to be sexy pics. Under the radar with upside. They are very different from Biggs and Gauthier, who I would consider safe picks, which many complain about.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Josh Leivo - The next Matt Frattin

so far I am really impressed with his work ethic and effort - does have offensive upside

Discuss

Auzzie19

Mar 10, 2011
The North
This is the exact comparison I thought of when I saw his 2nd goal last night. (Crazy release)

Their style is similar in the way they shoot, but after that not really.

Frattin is more physical and a better skater, but I see what you mean.

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto
Need to trade Kessel to make room for Leivo now! Imagine him paired with Bozak's positioning. That'd be unstoppable!:sarcasm:

mikebel111*

One difference. Leivo isnt overrated like fans made frattin to be.

Like frats a lot. However people overrated him like no tomorrow

veedubn1

Jun 7, 2010
He's the only prospect forward that looked decent in the preseason... which isn't shocking considering our lack of high first rounders over the past... forever.

Here's hoping that Leivo and D'Amigo take their game to another level with the Marlies this year so we can fill out our 3rd line when Kuli and Bolland (definitely one of them) walk next summer.

Ace88*

I was at the game last night. Leivo was pretty invisible--until he wasnt. He did score two goals and had a breakaway for a third but missed, but other than that he wasnt noticeable at all.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
Leivo is further along in his devlopment at age 20 than Frattin was, and will end up better than Frattin when he makes it. He just keeps impressing me more every time I see him, looks like a future Lupul. After Gauthier, he is our top forward prospect and should see some callup time this year.

Mark my words, he will end up being the best Leaf pick of the 2011 draft. And this is not to discredit Biggs or Percy, I just think Leivo has come that far and surpassed them.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
Frattin is more of a bulldog, does things at a higher pace and is better skater at this point. he's a little more opportunistic at his point.

Leivo has more potential finesse and offensive versatility than frattin, and for his size is very coordinated.

i think if he becomes lupul lite on third line, i'll be satisfied. second line is a possibility but he might be a tweener at best.

frattin seemed to sputter a bit at the end of the season; i'm convinced that his knee didn't fully heal and that affected is quickness in plays. if his knee is 100% then he should hit 20+ goals on second line; he looked at the level of kuli, when kuli's line was scoring years ago.

i'd expect leivo to have the same line.

i agree with the poster who said that he's our best o prospect after gauthier, but i think our best high risk high reward prospect is johnson. i like his highlight reels.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->