Prospect Info: Leafs' Pick #86 -- Joshua Leivo - LW - 6-2/180 -Sudbury Wolves (OHL)

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I don't feel as excited about this draft as i have other years...

Because the general concensus is that it's a weak draft. After the top 50 the talent drops down. Thats why I laugh at all the people moaning and crying over someone we didn't pick when really after the top 50 it's a crap shoot.

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
High risk- high reward, exactly what we were asking for. Looks like he has the tools to be another kulemin. Size, deceptively fast, good shot, 2-way player. He will be a fun project.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
High risk- high reward, exactly what we were asking for. Looks like he has the tools to be another kulemin. Size, deceptively fast, good shot, 2-way player. He will be a fun project.

I actually don't consider him much of a high-risk.

He looks like he has the skills that will make him a player in some capacity.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Because the general concensus is that it's a weak draft. After the top 50 the talent drops down. Thats why I laugh at all the people moaning and crying over someone we didn't pick when really after the top 50 it's a crap shoot.

It could also be the fact the Maple Leafs didn't have a top 10 pick this time around. It's more exciting when your potentially landing a top talent.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
that makes the pick even better:nod:

Do you think he has high-reward (like a second liner on a contending team)?

I think he projects well. If he's able to carry over what he did at the end of the year, he should make for an interesting pick.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
that makes the pick even better:nod:

Do you think he has high-reward (like a second liner on a contending team)?

every player drafted has the potential to become a 2nd liner on a contending team.... is it realistic, no... but it sure is possible.

deadp0ol

Mar 15, 2011
I got intrigued by how much this kid improved over the season, so i calculated it based on his stats. (EOP is my way of saying end of playoffs

Time Period--------------PPG
Full Season--------------0.59
Oct, - EOP--------------0.62
Nov. - EOP--------------0.7
Dec. - EOP--------------0.79
Jan - EOP---------------0.92
Feb - EOP---------------1
Mar - EOP---------------1.29
Playoffs-----------------1.625

this can be our high risk/ high reward player this draft.

KingBud97

Dec 15, 2006
Toronto
I play against this kid in the Innisfil Ball Hockey League and all i have to say is He is insanely quick on his feet and does some nice things with the ball. High risk but High REWARD. Wish him the best.

Leafsfan64

Nov 20, 2010
I got intrigued by how much this kid improved over the season, so i calculated it based on his stats. (EOP is my way of saying end of playoffs

Thats just insane! Next year's Jonathan Huberdeau?

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
Maybe this was already posted, maybe not. Too lazy to check, sorry.

from the Sun

THE LOWDOWN: Scored 30 points in 64 games with the OHL’s Sudbury Wolves last season ... Broke out in the playoffs, scoring 13 points en route to helping Wolves upset 67s in first round ... A kid with a large frame who could develop into an effective NHL power forward ... Not listed in Central Scouting’s final rankings but Leaf scouting director Dave Morrison says Leivo “has as much upside as anyone in this draft.”

QUOTE/UNQUOTE: “All through minor hockey, I was one of the top scorers on my team.” — Leivo.

That's pretty good to hear. Sounds like he has a chance to be more than a plugger. Don't know why he went in the 3rd, perhaps another team was targeting him.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
People also have to remember that this kid was a rookie. Check out Strome's numbers for his rookie year ... this kid could light it up next year - I project about ppg at least.

I love how everyone came into this thread whining - as they have been doing for the whole draft - and then as more and more information comes out about the pick, they suddenly shut up, haha.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
To me this pick reminds me a TON of the Mckegg pick last year.

Late birthday, tons of upside. Around the same size and physical development.

McKegg was a more highly touted scorer, but they had very similar rookie years... with Leivo's production being far more overwhelming than Mckeggs.

If he can be a top 20 scorer in the OHL and get invited to Canada's Jr Camp by this time next year... I'll be quite impressed.

broc

Dec 20, 2010
This is a late post,but does anyone know his Barrie jr Colts stats?

GojuLeaf

May 3, 2010
he lives in my town, which btw is not sudbury its a much smaller town than that.

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario

How can the average of all the months be lower than any individual month?

hockeygeek

Apr 28, 2010

He's not averaging individual months, he's averaging from the month stated to the end of playoffs and full season would include the games they play in sept. At least that's the way I understand it...and I'm far too lazy to check his numbers. It looks like he's on a very impressive development curve based on his numbers. If he starts off next season like he finished last season than we have a great prospect

deadp0ol

Mar 15, 2011
He's not averaging individual months, he's averaging from the month stated to the end of playoffs and full season would include the games they play in sept. At least that's the way I understand it...and I'm far too lazy to check his numbers. It looks like he's on a very impressive development curve based on his numbers. If he starts off next season like he finished last season than we have a great prospect

Yea this is it. Sorry for not making it clear.

Griffski

Jun 15, 2011
Salt Lake City
His playoff stats are great but I'm pretty sure 4 of those points were in 1 game against Ottawa, he got a Hatty. Wouldve liked more consistency, but hopefully he dominates next season in the OHL.

Couple of the goals were beauties though

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010

Basically, McFarland got traded to Saginaw, Sgarbossa came over to the Wolves, and once he did the team took off. Sgarbossa added some offense, along side Leivo and Kuchin. Hopefully him and Sgarbossa can continue this chemistry..

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario

I see, should have looked closer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->