Prospect Info: Leafs' Pick #86 -- Joshua Leivo - LW - 6-2/180 -Sudbury Wolves (OHL)

TheNorth

Better Call Saul
Feb 16, 2010
His second half of the season is when he got most of those points, the line of Leivo-Sgarboassa-Kuchin dominated in the playoffs if this line sticks together next season and since stats matter soooooooo much you'll see some pretty decent numbers

Stu

Nov 20, 2008
Raleigh, NC
"....and is an ultimate teammate"

absolutely LOVE hearing comments like this about prospects. This could genuinely turn out to be a superb pick for us. Very excited.

Garo

Jul 30, 2005
Montréal
Heh. I picked this guy for the Habs in the 3rd round and quite a few people on our board went "WTH is this guy doing".

I'd love the pick if it wasn't for the fact he's a Leaf... But I'm, grudgingly, giving them props on this one.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
I consider this guy a pretty big steal. When he plays a bigger role with the Wolves next year he'll put up much better numbers people will really begin to notice him then.

Newfie John

Hall of Famer
Jul 3, 2005
Clearly different situations, but similar stats to what Huberdeau put up last year. Huberdeau a June 4th birthday, close to being a guy in last year's draft.

Food for thought.

Eisenh0rn

May 30, 2009
UK
Morrisons comments about their interest in this guy on Leafs TV has me very intrigued. It seems they were waiting for (expecting) him to turn it on late in the season.

I also liked his fight on YT.

Mr Lahey*

I saw him in the playoffs and he really stood out. Suprised we got him here.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Morrisons comments about their interest in this guy on Leafs TV has me very intrigued. It seems they were waiting for (expecting) him to turn it on late in the season.

I also liked his fight on YT.

yeah I just saw that...he talked about him more than any other pick..seems like he thinks he found a real gem.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Like the pick. had no clue about him before, but Dave Morrison has clearly shown to be a good judge of junior talent.

That being said, its easy to get excited about a good end / playoffs to a season. last year, Austin Watson was picked in the top 20 really because of a good 10 games in Peterborough, where he lit it up. Obviously hes not a bad pick, but look back now and he probably goes late 1st

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Not a guy I knew anything about, but considering his stats in the second half of the year can see where the interest came from. Should be interesting to see how he turns out.

daethfromabove1979

Jun 20, 2006
Clearly different situations, but similar stats to what Huberdeau put up last year. Huberdeau a June 4th birthday, close to being a guy in last year's draft.

Food for thought.

you are confused, leivo is actually older than huberdeau (only about a week difference in age)

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Looks like the scouts are doing their jobs.

Getting better as the year went on and a good skater with good size. 6'2" skaters always have a chance.

HP: On a rather weak Sudbury team, Leivo had a relentless motor on the forecheck. He has good size, and his style of play translates well to the NHL.

HP had him ranked 75 so they saw him as a 3rd. rounder.

Simcoe23

Feb 2, 2011
I love him already because he's from Innisfil :handclap:

I love when long shot guys make it to the OHL then take the coaching, seize the opportunity and run with it, which is what it looks like Josh is doing.

Good for him and good for the Leafs is trusting their scouts on a guy like this.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
I like the fact that the Leafs took a risk here. If Leivo had scored the whole season at the rate he did in the playoffs, he would have been drafted in the first half of the first round. That's ridiculous, of course. 8 games isn't a big enough sample to prove anything. But he did score well for the playoffs and the second half of the regular season together and maybe that's a big enough sample to be significant. As somebody on this board said, if the Leafs are to get into the top category, they will need to have a stroke of luck with some of their picks. Maybe they got luck here, going off the Central Scouting list entirely to pick Leivo. Hope so.

Borschevsky

Aug 9, 2005
A native of Innisfil, Ont., Leivo joked with Hogan about not always being a Leaf fan.

"I was a leaf fan, but I'm not gonna lie I switched to Montreal when I was about five years old," he said. "I guess now I'm a Leaf fan again."

Uh oh. It's Kadri all over again :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->