Prospect Info: Leafs' Pick #86 -- Joshua Leivo - LW - 6-2/180 -Sudbury Wolves (OHL)

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I actually think he's very different than Frattin.

What's struck me about Leivo, ever since I saw him in his first rookie camp right after we drafted him 3 years ago, is his hockey sense. The guy is just a natural - he's always taking the right angle to the puck, always has body in the right position to win and keep the puck, and just flat out knows where to be. The fact that he's fairly big, fairly fast, and has soft hands and a nice shot is a bonus as well. He's a very good possession player that never seems to be chasing the play, with a decent amount of skill. I'm not 100% but I do think he has 2nd line offensive skill, but I'm very confident that he has the all-around game to play a very good 3rd line role at the very least.

Frattin to me is the opposite - super fast, built like a truck, a howitzer of a shot.....but no hockey sense. Doesn't seem to have any idea of how to get the right angles or body positioning, and always seems to be losing the puck or chasing the play as a result.

And of course Leivo is way, way ahead of where Frattin was at age 20. Way ahead.

I like both players, but I don't think they're very similar, and I like Leivo quite a bit more.

Babscocks

Jan 7, 2011
Edmonton
Heatley really?

Heatley is a cry baby - lol

Yeah if the kid can even turn out to be what Heatley is now ill be happy. Heatley isn't really a cry baby other then the Oilers/Sens thing and to be honest id much rather of lived in California to rather then this ice cold city of Edmonton. I'm defending Heatley cause I used to love the guy haha and because he only screwed the Sens over.

Leivo even has the missing tooth.... crazy

Also Dany is the ****ing all-star

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I was at the game last night. Leivo was pretty invisible--until he wasnt. He did score two goals and had a breakaway for a third but missed, but other than that he wasnt noticeable at all.

He was also very responsible in the defensive end. Noticed his stick was in the right place more often than not.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Heatley really?

Heatley is a cry baby - lol

Just the goofy hair and busted teeth.

Renegade

Jun 23, 2013
Pickering, ON
Loved Frattin, but he was also much more developed than Leivo is now. Frattin is like 25 and Leivo is just turned 20.

Always loved Leivo though. Will be a better defensive player than Frattin.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Let's not forget that Frattin was 23 when he turned pro. Leivo is only 20 right now, and we can only imagine how far ahead of Frattin he will be with three more years of development.

I don't ever expect that he will post huge numbers, but he is looking like an outstanding value for a 3rd round pick.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I actually think he's very different than Frattin.

What's struck me about Leivo, ever since I saw him in his first rookie camp right after we drafted him 3 years ago, is his hockey sense. The guy is just a natural - he's always taking the right angle to the puck, always has body in the right position to win and keep the puck, and just flat out knows where to be. The fact that he's fairly big, fairly fast, and has soft hands and a nice shot is a bonus as well. He's a very good possession player that never seems to be chasing the play, with a decent amount of skill. I'm not 100% but I do think he has 2nd line offensive skill, but I'm very confident that he has the all-around game to play a very good 3rd line role at the very least.

Frattin to me is the opposite - super fast, built like a truck, a howitzer of a shot.....but no hockey sense. Doesn't seem to have any idea of how to get the right angles or body positioning, and always seems to be losing the puck or chasing the play as a result.

And of course Leivo is way, way ahead of where Frattin was at age 20. Way ahead.

I like both players, but I don't think they're very similar, and I like Leivo quite a bit more.

agreed on most counts.

I'm not a Frattin fan at all though, I think Leivo looks to have better instincts for the game and may well end up the better player one day.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
He's has more skill than Frattin. More of a pure sniper. You can project him somewhere between Joffrey Lupul and Michael Ryder.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
People might be getting a *bit* excited with these Lupul comparisons. Let's not forget that Lupul was a 7th overall pick and completely dominant junior player who put up 56 goals/106 points in the WHL in his draft season, while Leivo is a 3rd round pick who has been good in the OHL, but not a true star or amazing producer. I don't think he has the talent that Lupul has, but I'm still quite impressed by him, he should be making the NHL sooner rather than later.

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Leivo is a late bloomer, and that's putting it lightly. It's not really fair to compare junior numbers with Lupul as Lupul was always a top player, whereas Leivo was a nobody, had a good playoffs and then took off and has improved exponentially each season, not only numbers-wise, but with all parts of his game.

Ace88*

yeah i dont see the Frattin comparison at all. They don't play similarly, like even remotely. Frattin was a clone of Jason Blake. Leivo looks nothing like that out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad