Prospect Info: Leafs pick #68 - Martins Dzierkals (F) HK Riga MHL 5'11" 169lbs

AddMan3001

Don't poke the bear!
Sep 16, 2007
Cambridge, ON
Sounds intriguing, but can't believe we couldn't have gotten him in later rounds.

Reminds of the Jamie Devane pick... someone nobody heard of taken high in the 3rd.

At least with Dz it's about skill, not about size. I don't so much mind the gamble when it looks like there's at least a chance (however small) that it pays off.

GX

Dec 28, 2011
Is he Russian or Latvian?

He's Latvian. Started the season in the local league, but was soon picked up by Dinamo Riga, played for HK Riga in the MHL. With 9 points he was the top scorer on Team Latvia at the U18 WC.

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
dont know nothing about him but the leafs drafted him so he has a chance to be special...am i doing this right?

snizzbone*

Sounds intriguing, but can't believe we couldn't have gotten him in later rounds.

Reminds of the Jamie Devane pick... someone nobody heard of taken high in the 3rd.

Devane is a goon. This guy is a skilled player. Big difference.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
High-Risk/High-Reward.

I'd bring him over ASAP. Better to have him develop in the system than in the MHL.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
At least we have a good pattern going here :).

Skilled and fast. You have to think with enough of those guys you'll have a team full of skill down the road.

GX

Dec 28, 2011
At least the Leafs will have a great contingent at the World Juniors

Bracco in the US
Marner, Dermott in Canada possibly
Dzierkals in Latvia

Well, Latvia failed to get back to elite WJC this year.. :D Perhaps 2017.

Calacatz

Jacked!
Aug 10, 2005
This pick also let's us know our scouts are not just domesticated and are in tune world wide assessing talent.. Some have suggested Hunter is narrow minded with the CHL..

GX

Dec 28, 2011
High-Risk/High-Reward.

I'd bring him over ASAP. Better to have him develop in the system than in the MHL.

There's no way he's staying in the MHL. It was recently announced that Russians have figured to have no foreign teams in the MHL next season. So HK Riga would play in MHL B, which is a place where only some fringe U18 guys could develop. If it was up to me, I'd pull the team out and let them play in Latvian league instead.

Svartsyn

Oct 1, 2008
Sweden
What on earth....not rated here nor there and we use a 3rd on him. Somebody in the organisation better be really sure of what they're doing and that this guy is a big diamond in the rough.

If not: Horrendous pick. Just awful.

Willie Oree

Nov 30, 2010
6-8-5-13
What on earth....not rated here nor there and we use a 3rd on him. Somebody in the organisation better be really sure of what they're doing and that this guy is a big diamond in the rough.

Lol... Who did you have on your board in the 3rd round?

mikebel111*

I agree draft is a disaster if it doesn't work out. am I right?

seriously look at his scouting report. amazing skill and has some size to build on. swing for the fences pick

Svartsyn

Oct 1, 2008
Sweden
We could have had him in a later round most certainly. Get it?

And like I said, OK if they have taken a reaalllyyyy good look at him and think somebody else would have takeb him in the next round. Then Im fine with it. If not, Im not fine.

GX

Dec 28, 2011
Dzierkals told Latvian media the teams most interested in him were Nashville and Toronto. Representatives of Toronto came to Latvia as well.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
We could have had him in a later round most certainly. Get it?

And like I said, OK if they have taken a reaalllyyyy good look at him and think somebody else would have takeb him in the next round. Then Im fine with it. If not, Im not fine.

Perhaps. Or another team really likes him as well and picks him soon after.

You can't trust that players end up where consensus lists place them. You need to trust your own.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad