Prospect Info: Leafs pick #68 - Martins Dzierkals (F) HK Riga MHL 5'11" 169lbs

Willie Oree

Nov 30, 2010
6-8-5-13
We could have had him in a later round most certainly. Get it?

And like I said, OK if they have taken a reaalllyyyy good look at him and think somebody else would have takeb him in the next round. Then Im fine with it. If not, Im not fine.

Where are you getting your sources from? Its a 3rd round pick, our staff decided this is the guy for them at 68 what's the problem here? Did you see someone on the board you valued higher?

Trust the process you're not even an amateur

Svartsyn

Oct 1, 2008
Sweden
Where are you getting your sources from? Its a 3rd round pick, our staff decided this is the guy for them at 68 what's the problem here? Did you see someone on the board you valued higher?

Trust the process you're not even an amateur
I say i might be OK with it. Did you read that? No Im not an amateur but I can learn from history. You obviously cant.

GX

Dec 28, 2011
First interview with Dzierkals after the draft

'I have no words. I followed the draft online, and when I saw my name, my hands started shaking. Maple Leafs already have called me, and said that I will have to come to the new player development camp in a week or two.'

'I hoped that I would get picked, but I wasn't 100% certain. In total I talked to 7-8 teams, most seriously with Nashville and Toronto. I hoped that they would pick me, but didn't expect it would happen so soon.'

'Yes, they saw me at the U18 Worlds. Later on scouts of Maple Leafs also came to Latvia to speak to me.'

'Certain [CHL] teams have been interested in me, have talked to me and asked to play for them. Now I'll have to listen what Maple Leafs want me to do.'

http://sportacentrs.com/hokejs/nhl/27062015-dzierkals_runat_uz_latviju_bija_atbraukus

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

'I have no words. I followed the draft online, and when I saw my name, my hands started shaking. Maple Leafs already have called me, and said that I will have to come to the new player development camp in a week or two.'

'I hoped that I would get picked, but I wasn't 100% certain. In total I talked to 7-8 teams, most seriously with Nashville and Toronto. I hoped that they would pick me, but didn't expect it would happen so soon.'

'Yes, they saw me at the U18 Worlds. Later on scouts of Maple Leafs also came to Latvia to speak to me.'

'Certain [CHL] teams have been interested in me, have talked to me and asked to play for them. Now I'll have to listen what Maple Leafs want me to do.'

http://sportacentrs.com/hokejs/nhl/27062015-dzierkals_runat_uz_latviju_bija_atbraukus

Did he get drafted to the CHL yet or is he still up for the import draft?

Could be great to see him in the CHL.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

Nice.

Now get drafted by London in the import draft, Then go play with Mitch. :D

Willie Oree

Nov 30, 2010
6-8-5-13
What on earth....not rated here nor there and we use a 3rd on him. Somebody in the organisation better be really sure of what they're doing and that this guy is a big diamond in the rough.

If not: Horrendous pick. Just awful.

This is what you initially said. So basically without knowing anything about the player or without having another player on the board you'd rather have, you've decided to make this statement.

I have no idea what role history plays....

The Nic

Jul 26, 2009

Sounds like this kid is more than willing to play in the CHL next year... London Knights?

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Reading about him in hockeyprospect.com Black Book... I'll paraphrase a bit of what they said:

'Smaller player, but plays big and has no fear on the ice. Always goes into the corners and is very tough to play against because of his intensity.'

I like what I'm hearing about this kid. Maybe not top-6 potential, but who knows at this point.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Would be absolutely fantastic if he comes over in the CHL import draft. While it would be cool if he went to London, I think he probably wouldn't get enough opportunities and ice time on a STACKED Knights team. I'll gladly offer my Halifax Mooseheads as tribute :D

The Nic

Jul 26, 2009
This is what you initially said. So basically without knowing anything about the player or without having another player on the board you'd rather have, you've decided to make this statement.

I have no idea what role history plays....

It's just possible that Mark Hunter knows more about available junior age players around the world than the magazine you paid $5.99 for at the local newsstand. I find that the media "experts" have very little knowledge of European players... and especially eastern European players. It's telling that the kid says he's talked with Toronto on more than one occasion... sounds like we're out there doing what we're supposed to do. I guess that the days when our scouts were only allowed to go as far as Belleville are officially over.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Did he get drafted to the CHL yet or is he still up for the import draft?

Could be great to see him in the CHL.

He wasn't drafting to the CHL last year, but is likely to be taken in 3 days.

Sounds like this kid is more than willing to play in the CHL next year... London Knights?

Personally, I would rather he not go to London. Since the recently signed Jones & Tkacuk, he probably wouldn't be getting top 6 minutes. I believe I have seen his name mentioned in connection to Peterborough though.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
It's just possible that Mark Hunter knows more about available junior age players around the world than the magazine you paid $5.99 for at the local newsstand. I find that the media "experts" have very little knowledge of European players... and especially eastern European players. It's telling that the kid says he's talked with Toronto on more than one occasion... sounds like we're out there doing what we're supposed to do. I guess that the days when our scouts were only allowed to go as far as Belleville are officially over.

Dzierkals isnt Eastern European tho,latvians are northern europeans.

JMcLeaf

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 19s20 seconds ago
Leafs pick Martins Dzierkals (the Latvian) is expected to come over and play in the CHL. Probably for team of Toronto's choice.

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
Hope not, the knights are stacked. i want him to go to a team where is a go to guy, he can be a scoring leader, no need to pencile him as a 3rd liner !!

Mar 12, 2009
Send Bracco and Dzierkel's to Kitchener!

Interesting pick. I know it's a stereotype kind of, but based on the Latvian teams on the international stage, they always seem to be some of the hardest working teams. Hopefully he has that work ethic.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think it was a reach honestly. Same with Nielsen. They put a smudge on what would otherwise be a solid A-grade draft. Even in looking for high end skill, we did better in the later rounds than we did here. Much rather have one of those high end goalie prospects that dropped.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad