Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Oilers - HNIC - 7pm

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Yes let's not discuss coaching decisions on a Leaf board. Overlord knows best and has reasons
It's such an interesting shaming tactic towards people who don't agree with their opinion.

Whining about other people whining. And they can't see how ridiculous it looks. People can discuss whatever the f*** they want on here as long as it pertains to the Leafs, I don't know what's so hard to understand about it.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Thanks for calling me out on a type (EDIT: Typo... see, I did it again). :rolleyes:... Was quickly responding to five people at once...

And yes, when its widely accepted by NHL franchises (who supposedly do research in developing thier prospects), there is a general acceptance that players can make the NHL too early, and its not a bad things to "over ripen" your prospects. I can't even believe you're questioning this.

I don't have any numbers on this, but it is widely believed in the hockey community.

You said it's the most common reason prospects don't make it as if you know what you're talking about, and now you back peddle to "it's widely accepted".

Over ripen means play them with the Marlies until they're physically ready and have an acceptable defensive game, it doesn't mean sit someone who's ready in favor of a worse veteran because he's a coaches pet.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
You said it's the most common reason prospects don't make it as if you know what you're talking about, and now you back peddle to "it's widely accepted".

Over ripen means play them with the Marlies until they're physically ready and have an acceptable defensive game, it doesn't mean sit someone who's ready in favor of a worse veteran because he's a coaches pet.

I'm not going to argue over semantics....

I think Brown makes more sense than Moore, solely for Brown's defensive abilities.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
or Tavares. he was an outstanding penalty killer last season. Marner is so good at killing penalties, I'm not sure why Babcock isn't motivated to try out more good players
let's just say we absolutely have no shortage for right-handed penalty killing wingers.

BigGulpsEh

Feb 20, 2017
With naz back I’m assuming brown will be demoted to the 4th line.

Who goes out? Ennis or Moore?

I’d like to see Nylander and Kappy switch places and have brown sit and keep the 4th line as is with goat as center.

Reactions: Zizzzzy

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
With naz back I’m assuming brown will be demoted to the 4th line.

Who goes out? Ennis or Moore?

I’d like to see Nylander and Kappy switch places and have brown sit and keep the 4th line as is with goat as center.
Agreed on all that.
I would assume Ennis and Petan sit unless Gauthier can't go.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015

Should be:

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Matthews-Kapanen
Moore-Kadri-Nylander
Petan-Marleau-Ennis
Brown/Goat

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
Yeah, and the Toronto media don't talk about the the Canucks until game day, this "rivalry" seems like one-way street.
Again missing the point and also dismissive of the large following of Leaf fans out here, myself included. I would say to us, it isn't a one way street, we have to put up with their hate every day. The point is that media driven artificial Oilers/Leafs rivalry pales in comparison to organically driven rivalry of Canucks/Leafs. Since Sportsnet and HNIC depend on people tuning in, and since the Oilers are an absolute mess and the marketing of McDavid is not going as they had hoped, they made the wrong move in swapping the Canucks for the Oilers on their biggest night of the week.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Holy shit babs, this isnt rocket science. Bench Connor Brown.

Ennis-Gauthier-Moore

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Again missing the point and also dismissive of the large following of Leaf fans out here, myself included. I would say to us, it isn't a one way street, we have to put up with their hate every day. The point is that media driven artificial Oilers/Leafs rivalry pales in comparison to organically driven rivalry of Canucks/Leafs. Since Sportsnet and HNIC depend on people tuning in, and since the Oilers are an absolute mess and the marketing of McDavid is not going as they had hoped, they made the wrong move in swapping the Canucks for the Oilers on their biggest night of the week.

I am not talking about whether or not it the right move to have the Oilers on Saturday over the Canucks. Maybe it isn't the right programming decision, I haven't really thought about it.

I was just addressing the point that that the Cancucks are bigger rivals to the Leafs than the Oilers are and I just don't think that's true. Maybe it's different for Leaf fans who live in Vancouver but for the most part, I feel like they are just another NHL team.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
So who is supposed to replace Brown in the top PK unit? Tyler Ennis?

Come on, man.... Brown over Moore is not a big deal...

Moore is twice the man that Brown is :naughty:

Brown is soft as a babies bottom.
Moore can compete in every area of the ice and actually wins puck battles.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017

Should be:

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Matthews-Kapanen
Moore-Kadri-Nylander
Petan-Marleau-Ennis
Brown/Goat

No, should be:

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Kapanen

Mix and match the 4th line however so long as Moore is in the lineup. Hell put Moore with Kadri and let Marleau play on the 4th.

Getting pretty tired of spreading out the top talent over three lines and refusing to even mix things up when we're down a goal. If the Marner line gets shut down the other two 'scoring lines' can't get anything going because Matthews has nobody to set him up and Nylander has nobody who can finish. How much more obvious does it need to be that they need each other right now. There's no reason we can't load up two potent lines and still have a 3rd line that is better than 95% of the 3rd lines in the league.

I legit think Babcock refuses to do it out of spite because it's what the fans and media are calling for. He's so determined to flex his power over the lineup that the more people demand a certain combo the less likely it is he will do it because he's above taking suggestions.

Id love to know what Dubas thinks about paying Nylander $7M a year to play 14 minutes a night on the 3rd line while Matthews struggles to gel with two other shooters on his line.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Holy **** babs, this isnt rocket science. Bench Connor Brown.

Ennis-Gauthier-Moore
forest-for-trees.jpg

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
No, should be:

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Kapanen

Mix and match the 4th line however so long as Moore is in the lineup. Hell put Moore with Kadri and let Marleau play on the 4th.

Getting pretty tired of spreading out the top talent over three lines and refusing to even mix things up when we're down a goal. If the Marner line gets shut down the other two 'scoring lines' can't get anything going because Matthews has nobody to set him up and Nylander has nobody who can finish. How much more obvious does it need to be that they need each other right now. There's no reason we can't load up two potent lines and still have a 3rd line that is better than 95% of the 3rd lines in the league.

I legit think Babcock refuses to do it out of spite because it's what the fans and media are calling for. He's so determined to flex his power over the lineup that the more people demand a certain combo the less likely it is he will do it because he's above taking suggestions.

Id love to know what Dubas thinks about paying Nylander $7M a year to play 14 minutes a night on the 3rd line while Matthews struggles to gel with two other shooters on his line.
Couldnt agree more. Im tired of babcock at this point honestly. Im tired of seeing our team not play up to the potential they have. I honestly dont think we have had a stretch of games where we have played perfectly.

We always get by with wins due to andersen stealing it or our skill wins a period in a game that squeeks it out.

I think that is because of babcock. I think he is shooting himself in the foot for when the playoffs come because this isnt the optimal lineup. And when he realizes that....its too late since there is no chemistry at all.

Our lines should be set. Our d pairs should be set.

Reactions: SniperOnTheWing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad