Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Oilers - HNIC - 7pm

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
It,s so easy to say taking one guy out for another is no big deal at all. Yet we had Kap and AJ on the 4th line for stretches last year and kept guys like Komarov and Martin in. There WAS a big difference when they were taken away from the lineup.
It’s nit just this one thing either, it’s a bunch of things that frustrate me when it comes to Babcock.
But anyway, happy Kadri is back. Let’s hope they can get playoff ready lines finally

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
No, I'm suggesting Moore, like Johnsson last year, should not be viewed as a 'depth piece'. They both have looked the part (in small sample sizes) to warrant consistent roles with the club. You're suggesting he hasn't, though? Otherwise, you leave him in there.

Honestly, how many minutes would you want to see Trevor Moore playing right now?

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
No, should be:

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Kapanen

Mix and match the 4th line however so long as Moore is in the lineup. Hell put Moore with Kadri and let Marleau play on the 4th.

Getting pretty tired of spreading out the top talent over three lines and refusing to even mix things up when we're down a goal. If the Marner line gets shut down the other two 'scoring lines' can't get anything going because Matthews has nobody to set him up and Nylander has nobody who can finish. How much more obvious does it need to be that they need each other right now. There's no reason we can't load up two potent lines and still have a 3rd line that is better than 95% of the 3rd lines in the league.

I legit think Babcock refuses to do it out of spite because it's what the fans and media are calling for. He's so determined to flex his power over the lineup that the more people demand a certain combo the less likely it is he will do it because he's above taking suggestions.

Id love to know what Dubas thinks about paying Nylander $7M a year to play 14 minutes a night on the 3rd line while Matthews struggles to gel with two other shooters on his line.

Good post and the last part especially. What does he need to do?

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Couldnt agree more. Im tired of babcock at this point honestly. Im tired of seeing our team not play up to the potential they have. I honestly dont think we have had a stretch of games where we have played perfectly.

I'm tired of posters that don't realize that being 2nd in the NHL in ROW is pretty impressive and continue to think that coaching comes down to filling up a line up card where you simply rank the players based on offensive skill and slot them in like you do in a video game.

You honestly don't think we have had a stretch of games where we have played perfectly?

LOL Played perfectly......what a joke.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Many discuss things, others cry and whine incessantly.
Every thread regardless of the topic has lineup moaning.
Personally I don't see the attraction.
Fill your boots though.

Preach it brother
:bow::bow::bow:

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I wonder what happened to Gauthier...?

Maybe its just me, but I don't mind the Marleau-Kadri-Nylander line... trying to recreate a little bit (80%) of the Marleau-Kadri-Marner line to finish last season??

Marner >> Nylander; let’s get that straight

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
No, should be:

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Kapanen

Mix and match the 4th line however so long as Moore is in the lineup. Hell put Moore with Kadri and let Marleau play on the 4th.

Getting pretty tired of spreading out the top talent over three lines and refusing to even mix things up when we're down a goal. If the Marner line gets shut down the other two 'scoring lines' can't get anything going because Matthews has nobody to set him up and Nylander has nobody who can finish. How much more obvious does it need to be that they need each other right now. There's no reason we can't load up two potent lines and still have a 3rd line that is better than 95% of the 3rd lines in the league.

I legit think Babcock refuses to do it out of spite because it's what the fans and media are calling for. He's so determined to flex his power over the lineup that the more people demand a certain combo the less likely it is he will do it because he's above taking suggestions.

Id love to know what Dubas thinks about paying Nylander $7M a year to play 14 minutes a night on the 3rd line while Matthews struggles to gel with two other shooters on his line.

If we really want to ice a solid line up with offensive depth then

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Moore-Kadri-Kapanen
Marleau-GOAT-Ennis

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Marner >> Nylander; let’s get that straight

Marner is better than Nylander, yes. No argument there. But it's closer than it looks right now and as long as Nylander gets crap opportunity he'll never be able to prove how high his ceiling really is.

Marner:
- Plays with Tavares
- Plays 20 mins a night
- Plays PP1

Nylander:
- Plays with Marleau/Brown/Kadri
- Plays 15 mins a night
- Plays PP2

Nobody in their right mind can expect Nylander to truly prove himself with usage like that. He's playing exceptionally well right now and can still barely keep his head above water while Babs throws him anchor after anchor.

Is Babs still holding the holdout against him all these months later? Very spiteful if its the case.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
While not an actual must win game with regards to making the playoffs, this is a must win game when it comes to pride, self respect and keeping pace with the Bruins who are beginning to run away with 2nd place for home ice advantage now 4 points up on us.

42-21-5, 89 points...make it happen Leafs.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
While not an actual must win game with regards to making the playoffs, this is a must win game when it comes to pride, self respect and keeping pace with the Bruins who are beginning to run away with 2nd place for home ice advantage now 4 points up on us.

42-21-5, 89 points...make it happen Leafs.

Just show up, play well and get the win. I don't care for excuses. They have been largely treading water since Jan 1. It's been like they go on a good stretch, then immediately lose 3 of the next 4 or some shit. Let's go on a solid, prolonged run.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Marner is better than Nylander, yes. No argument there. But it's closer than it looks right now and as long as Nylander gets crap opportunity he'll never be able to prove how high his ceiling really is.

Marner:
- Plays with Tavares
- Plays 20 mins a night
- Plays PP1

Nylander:
- Plays 15 mins a night
- Plays PP2

Nobody in their right mind can expect Nylander to truly prove himself with usage like that. He's playing exceptionally well right now and can still barely keep his head above water while Babs throws him anchor after anchor.

Is Babs still holding the holdout against him all these months later? Very spiteful if its the case.

I would love to see what Nylander could do beside Tavares. Not saying it would be as good as Marner being there but you never know until you try it. Plus Nylander is being criminally underused nowadays.

Reactions: SniperOnTheWing

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I would love to see what Nylander could do beside Tavares. Not saying it would be as good as Marner being there but you never know until you try it. Plus Nylander is being criminally underused nowadays.
why not both?

Nylander - Tavares - Marner

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Just show up, play well and get the win. I don't care for excuses. They have been largely treading water since Jan 1. It's been like they go on a good stretch, then immediately lose 3 of the next 4 or some ****. Let's go on a solid, prolonged run.

The Leafs 11-4-3 are since Feb 1.

That's .694

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

Marner:
- Plays with Tavares
- Plays 20 mins a night
- Plays PP1

Nylander:
- Plays 15 mins a night
- Plays PP2

Marner initially played with bozak/jvr
then
he basically carried both marleau/kadri

marner's stats going back to January of last year is in elite category

nylander and matthews always played together for the first two seasons; yet nylander's production did not see any improvement in the 2nd season while matthews produced at a higher ppg clip.

Marner is a special player; while nylander is a good player.

the way i see it is babcock is basically saying...

Marner is driving his line (yea fine JT plays with him)
Matthews is suppose to drive his line
Nylander is suppose to drive his line

this way you will have three elite players driving their lines while JT/Marner take tough match ups

marleau-kadri-kapanen line would make kadri the main guy driving that line

personally i don't mind the lines the way they are; if leafs are chasing the game down by a goal or two then I want babcock to stack the lines and go for the win instead of being status-quo

when leafs are chasing the game i would definitely like to see

hyman-tavares-marner
johnsson-matthews-nylander
moore-kadri-kapapnen

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I wonder what happened to Gauthier...?

Maybe its just me, but I don't mind the Marleau-Kadri-Nylander line... trying to recreate a little bit (80%) of the Marleau-Kadri-Marner line to finish last season??

Marleau has predictably fallen off a cliff. At least put Moore there instead. Babcock is incredibly stubborn and stupid.

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
We haven't done a good job of icing our best lineup. Komarov played over Johnsson on the PP in the playoffs, are you telling me that was in the name of good development?

Leo got hurt in Game 2. Mango took his spot and averaged 1:20 of pp time a game the rest of the series.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Everyone complaining about Moore getting scratched, I gaurantee you he will play over the others in the playoffs... Just like in detroit with ken holland. Babcock and Dubas seem to love devoloping guys in AHL even when bottom 6 ready

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Sounds awesome to me but definitely not with this coach.

I think that line would completely dominate.

Not sure one of those guys playing the left side would work. Better off having each one flank one of our top two centers.

On the top powerplay though? Absolutely.

Marner on the right half wall, Rielly and Nylander at the points, Tavares net front and Matthews wherever he needs to be to get a shot off.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
You can't ask a coach to scratch a 3 year vet in favour of a 4th liner rookie that's played 10 games. I know Brown has been meh lately guys but come on lol
I'd much rather see him pick his lineups based on merit than experience. It shouldn't be that hard for Brown to outplay a rookie with 10 games experience, but he's not

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->