Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Oilers - HNIC - 7pm

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
Oilers replacing the Canucks on the HNIC portion of Western road swing was based on the idea that the Oilers, with McDavid, would be a great rivalry for the Leafs as they would be in similar stages of their rebuilds. McDavid looks disinterested, the team is a mess, and rivalry hasn't really formed - at least not on the same level as the Canucks and Leafs. It was a rivalry manufactured by the media and its nothing but artificial at this point. HNIC should still be Canucks vs Leafs.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Oilers replacing the Canucks on the HNIC portion of Western road swing was based on the idea that the Oilers, with McDavid, would be a great rivalry for the Leafs as they would be in similar stages of their rebuilds. McDavid looks disinterested, the team is a mess, and rivalry hasn't really formed - at least not on the same level as the Canucks and Leafs. It was a rivalry manufactured by the media and its nothing but artificial at this point. HNIC should still be Canucks vs Leafs.
Oilers have won 4 straight and are 6-2-2 in their last 10 and are ahead of Vancouver in the standings.

Reactions: Jeypic

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Matthews for McDavid straight up!

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
Oilers have won 4 straight and are 6-2-2 in their last 10 and are ahead of Vancouver in the standings.
So? They are still a mess. The rivalry between Vancouver and Toronto was formed naturally. Both teams have seen ups and downs and never met on the same level playing field, yet the rivalry persists. East vs West. This rivalry with the Oilers almost entirely artificial and completely dependent on Matthews vs McDavid. Before that, they were largely irrelevant to each other. You can try and say the Canucks/Leafs are irrelevant, but the fans and media and HF say otherwise.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
So? They are still a mess. The rivalry between Vancouver and Toronto was formed naturally. Both teams have seen ups and downs and never met on the same level playing field, yet the rivalry persists. East vs West. This rivalry with the Oilers almost entirely artificial and completely dependent on Matthews vs McDavid. Before that, they were largely irrelevant to each other. You can try and say the Canucks/Leafs are irrelevant, but the fans and media and HF say otherwise.
:laugh: ok

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I guess practice hasn't started yet?

Last edited:

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada

I dont see any of Vancouver, Edmonton or Calgary as rivals to be honest.

Reactions: great and dangomon

HOF Paul Henderson

Jan 16, 2019
It is a one sided rivalry. They view Toronto as rivals cause fans hate everything Toronto and a ton of their players are from the area.

Toronto couldn't care less.

I like seeing them lose because their fans are obnoxious whiners who get butt hurt about the leafs being on at 4 on the west coast in order to be on at 7 on the east coast. I guess Ontario’s senior citizens who want to watch hockey night in Canada can all go f*** themselves so that western fans can watch the game when they feel like t.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
I like seeing them lose because their fans are obnoxious whiners who get butt hurt about the leafs being on at 4 on the west coast in order to be on at 7 on the east coast. I guess Ontario’s senior citizens who want to watch hockey night in Canada can all go **** themselves so that western fans can watch the game when they feel like t.

I like seeing anybody playing the Leafs lose. But I couldn't care less about what they do vs the rest of the NHL.

Now Montreal, Boston, and Ottawa. I take pleasure in watching them lose every game possible.

Reactions: HOF Paul Henderson

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
Very predictable responses. Like I said, you can say they are irrelevant, it does not take away from the fact that the Oilers/Leafs McDavid/Matthews rivalry is largely artificial. Pretty much all year long the Vancouver media like to take jabs at the Leafs and Toronto. The only time the Oilers come up is on game day. Odd that a division rival, just a province over, does not generate much interest out here. This Edmonton/Toronto game draws on fewer combined populations as viewers to HNIC when compared to Vancouver/Toronto. If the Oilers had done a better job building their team, this move by Sportsnet could have worked. But for now, it looks like the wrong move. They should have stayed with the safe bet and a natural rivalry with a larger population to get more eyes on the game. That is all I am pointing out.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
If losing to a bottom feeder like the Canucks, and other similar poor teams, is amazing, Boston better watch out, our Leafs are screwing with their heads by playing possum!

LOL , so the 4th best record in hockey is completely washed away by a poor road game? I guess Tampa Bay better be concerned then, they lost 7-1 against Arizona, oh wait they have the best record in hockey after that loss. What was your point again?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Goat not at practice today.

heh.

maybe Dubas is taking matters into his own hands.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
1388801346009-1216965-10.jpg

Kyle Gillooly

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
LOL , so the 4th best record in hockey is completely washed away by a poor road game? I guess Tampa Bay better be concerned then, they lost 7-1 against Arizona, oh wait they have the best record in hockey after that loss. What was your point again?
Boston is shaking in their skate boots thinking about having to play our Leafs! :laugh:

Reactions: Kamiccolo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad