Post-Game Talk: Leafs no shows in game 1. Trail series 1-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
Personally, when we can see that 2 of our big 4 didn’t show up. I doubt this is the best the team can do. Also, I am not going to pretend to be an expert for the BJs but to me they literally played just as they advertised but we really can’t say the Leafs did.

what 2

matthews was the only one who looked like he cared
If your talking about willy he bailed on two hits in our zone and did a couple of his patented skate bys while poking his stick at the players

Reactions: Faltorvo

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I guess people forget the raptors were playoff chokers for half a decade before winning.

Yeah I love the Raptors but how quickly we forget the days of getting swept by Washington and the Lebronto fiasco. A championship really does cure all ills.

Raptors are a model franchise and Leafs should try to emulate their effort level and dedication, but the Raptors didn’t reach that level overnight. It took time. It will for the Leafs as well, despite us wishing we could be more like Chicago and Pittsburgh.

Reactions: Merrrlin

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
People love to bring up the Penguins/Hawks as offensive teams which were successful in the past. But they forgot that those teams also had some very gritty players who did all the dirty jobs to open things up for their star players. The Leafs don't have any of those guys, there is no good match up until Dubas makes some major changes.
I think the diff is that Hawks and Pens stars played their level during the playoffs while some of our stars did not.
When Hawks and Pens won their Cups, Toews, Kane, Keith, Sid, Geno and Phil were stars and the best player in the series. Can we honestly say Marner was the star last night? Or any of the Leafs Stars in the past three playoff series. Until at least one of them play as the best player in the series, no amount of retool with players like Wilson or whoever will do much for the Leafs playoff success.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
I really don't get the obsession with Clifford... I don't think he has had a single "good" game with the Leafs thus far. He's been mediocre at best and he's only going to get worse.

If we need more of any kind of player, it is Hyman. Works hard, brings defensive value, and can compliment offensive players. Clifford was supposed to bring the first two things at the very least, but he has not really had any output for his hard work.
Was he supposed to wow you in his 3 minutes of ice time last night? Give Hyman 3 minutes of ice time and see what you think of him. We need Clifford to be getting more time crashing and banging is my entire point. He's barely played at all since he got here. I'm not sure what you expected

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Yeah I love the Raptors but how quickly we forget the days of getting swept by Washington and the Lebronto fiasco. A championship really does cure all ills.

Raptors are a model franchise and Leafs should try to emulate their effort level and dedication, but the Raptors didn’t reach that level overnight. It took time. It will for the Leafs as well, despite us wishing we could be more like Chicago and Pittsburgh.
Exactly, I think people forgot how the Raps were killed by Lebron year after year despite I think at one time having the best record in the East.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Was he supposed to wow you in his 3 minutes of ice time last night? Give Hyman 3 minutes of ice time and see what you think of him. We need Clifford to be getting more time crashing and banging is my entire point. He's barely played at all since he got here. I'm not sure what you expected

I am referring to the regular season as well.

He was not good in that 4 minutes of ice time. The entire line's play did not warrant receiving more ice time yesterday.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
what 2

matthews was the only one who looked like he cared
If your talking about willy he bailed on two hits in our zone and did a couple of his patented skate bys while poking his stick at the players
Willie was good not his best but he done some good and made good plays. The best chance AM got was from Willie behind the net.

Reactions: Menzinger and kb

stuart5035

Apr 9, 2017
$11m and all we're expecting from him is to not singlehandedly lose the game for the team.
You are right, but unlike many other posts, I will not criticize him for lack of effort or desire. I worry that his mega contract is like a noose around his neck, and the pressure from it has doomed him .

But I believe there is a bigger picture here. Mitch Marner would be a dream on an Olympic ice surface in a international primarily skilled contest. But how is he supposed to display his skills against the physical smothering defence that won something like 20 one goal games this season? At least an Alex Ovechkin could contribute a physical presence if he Was smothered in the offensive zone, but not frail Marner.

The Tampa Bay Lightening experienced last year what we experienced last night. Lesson learned, they went out and got Maroon, they got Blake Coleman, Zach Begosian for this year.

What did we get to help through the physical battle we face for two square feet of ice? We got Nick Robertson, Nick Petan. We don’t hardly play Clifford. How will this help us break through?

I wonder if the old school “Don Cherry’s have it right? You need a St Louis Blue style in the playoffs? You need a towering defence of physical defensemen To block any meaningful penetration by enemy forwards.

I hope Dubas’s vision of speed and skill somehow prevails Tuesday. It’s possible though that the Leafs have been cruelly presented with their most challenging opponent right away, and it isn’t the Lightening or the Bruins. The system they ran up against last night was what won the game (you could see how frustrated and helpless they felt in the last ten minutes).

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I really don't get the obsession with Clifford... I don't think he has had a single "good" game with the Leafs thus far. He's been mediocre at best and he's only going to get worse.

If we need more of any kind of player, it is Hyman. Works hard, brings defensive value, and can compliment offensive players. Clifford was supposed to bring the first two things at the very least, but he has not really had any output for his hard work.
i think folks like you get too obsessed with offensive stats

take a look at the jackets,,, offensive stats wise it's a pretty garbo team

BUT they excel at doing a lot of the other things

and here we are already down 1 game and just 2 loses away from not even making the playoffs.

lmfao,,,wait till they "have to ramp up" those intangibles against us,,,it won't be pretty

i watched them against Tbay last year and they played them way more brutal then us.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Money Puck who deserved to win stat shows 49.8% chance for CBJ and 50.2% chance for the Leafs.

Truly an even battle between two equally capable bubble teams

How did we go from a franchise record, 105 points, to a playoff bubble team within 2 years under duabs?

Reactions: Faltorvo

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
I am referring to the regular season as well.

He was not good in that 4 minutes of ice time. The entire line's play did not warrant receiving more ice time yesterday.
I agree. I think that line looked slow and Keefe knew it and that's why they sat. I think you at the very least see Engvall in for Gauthier for game 2. If not maybe it's someone like Petan. And Clifford averaged 9:33 ice time for us, hardly staggering. Those are 4th line numbers and you get 4th line expectations with that. Again, give Hyman 9 minutes and see how pumped you are about him at the end of the game. Clifford would be more effective if we gave him a top 9 role as a forechecker and made life miserable on Columbus' back end. That's all I'm saying

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
i don't care what the other tender does,,,thats for the skaters to solve

i'll take a .971 sv% every day and call it a outstanding outing
Well unfortunately it often doesn't take much for opposing skaters to solve Freddie with all the howlers he's been dishing out in the playoffs.

You really should care about how opposing tenders play. You can't win a Cup when yours is outplayed.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
You are right, but unlike many other posts, I will not criticize him for lack of effort or desire. I worry that his mega contract is like a noose around his neck, and the pressure from it has doomed him .

But I believe there is a bigger picture here. Mitch Marner would be a dream on an Olympic ice surface in a international primarily skilled contest. But how is he supposed to display his skills against the physical smothering defence that won something like 20 one goal games this season? At least an Alex Ovechkin could contribute a physical presence if he Was smothered in the offensive zone, but not frail Marner.

The Tampa Bay Lightening experienced last year what we experienced last night. Lesson learned, they went out and got Maroon, they got Blake Coleman, Zach Begosian for this year.

What did we get to help through the physical battle we face for two square feet of ice? We got Nick Robertson, Nick Petan. We don’t hardly play Clifford. How will this help us break through?

I wonder if the old school “Don Cherry’s have it right? You need a St Louis Blue style in the playoffs? You need a towering defence of physical defensemen To block any meaningful penetration by enemy forwards.

I hope Dubas’s vision of speed and skill somehow prevails Tuesday. It’s possible though that the Leafs have been cruelly presented with their most challenging opponent right away, and it isn’t the Lightening or the Bruins. The system they ran up against last night was what won the game (you could see how frustrated and helpless they felt in the last ten minutes).

what i bolded is so so scary

instead of manning up and getting the 1 goal needed

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
This was the 1st time a Leafs team was shutout in a playoff game since the conference finals against Carolina in 2002.

Not exactly dispelling the notion that "defense wins" come playoff time.

Though any fan of defensive hockey should be pleased that their team was able to limit the opposition to just a Single non-empty net goal against

The common complaint of the year was that the Leafs defense would falter in the playoffs, yet last night it didnt happen.

And imo moving forward in the series I wouldnt bet on the Jackets goalie being able to glove the next rocket of an shot from Matthews.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
What did the Raptors end up doing?
How long did it took the Raptors to win? Did they win with the same Roster that lost to Lebron?
Point is that a lot happened before Raptors winning the Championship.
Masai didn’t build the Championship in one summer, he built it through years.
He added Ibaka a few years ago, got lucky with the development of Siakam and Fred. Then saw a chance with Kawhi and took it. Then literally traded another core piece in JV for Gasol.
I can still remember there are posters here who kept saying the Raptors need to trade everyone and rebuild as there was no way they could beat Lebron after being the East Conf Champ.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I'm not denying his achievements. They are plentiful.

I'm saying he should know and have accomplished more at 77 with 33 years in the NHL than Dubas with 2 years leading a team.
the very fact that he's been in the league for 33 years speaks volumes, do you actually think Dubas will be a NHL GM (or better) in the year 2051?

Of Course Dubas needs needs time to learn, but I prefer experience over exuberance every day of the week, and twice on Sunday.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
i stand by my words,,,the puck did not go in the net

this is POs time,,it's time to judge harshly,,,,0 points =s "extremely"? does not compute,,when talking about someone making $12 million to score

I’ve seen many superstars - Crosby, Stamkos, to name only a few - who have been held pointless in a playoff game. I totally agree that way too much money is being spent on the 4 forwards, but I believe out of the 4, Matthews deserves it. I’ve felt all along that the first major mistake was going after Tavares (don’t get me wrong, I really like him), but everyone knew Matthews was going to be our #1 centerman, so you DO NOT NEED 2 centers making around $22 million. And if that wasn’t bad enough, you’re paying a winger around $11 million, and sticking your head in the sand (or up your ass) in regards to your bluelins. Dubas was not the person we needed to be handling those negotiations (and I hold Shanny accountable as well), or building the team.
In saying all of this, I’m not blaming Tavares. He was a UFA, and deserved to get paid, it just shouldn’t have been us. And Matthews, as a #1 pick with his skill set and being a centerman, was going to get paid. The only qualm I have with that, is it should have been for a few more years.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I’m surprised with the tone around here honestly. This was the exact brand of hockey everyone around here wanted the Leafs to play and they executed to near perfection. Matthews could’ve had a hat trick if the bounces went the right way so it’s not like Columbus dummied us defensively either.

This loss could’ve went either way and the biggest difference was Korpisalo was hot and the puck bounced the wrong way.

Big red flag was the complete no show from Rielly, JT and Marner

Folks get over emotional during the playoffs, which I get but it clouds judgement.

Reading through this thread, youd think the Leafs got blown out by 4 or 5 goals. When in reality they played a defensively sound game, gave up just one goal prior to the empty net and unfortunately couldnt buy a goal in terms of puck luck.

There were things to dislike (Tavares and Marner need to generate more chances, and the team as a whole not getting a shot over the last few minutes of the game), but it was loss that easily could have gone a different way.

Hopefully the team uses this as motivation for tomorrow

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Working hard, puck possession, chances... these things are all nice... but the big four are paid to put the puck in the net... all that matters is results. Noting, overall, the team defense wasn't terrible... I mean for most of the game we held them to one goal... of course, Andersen played great, and was a big part of that. In some ways, Marner and Tavares played well... you look at the fancy stats, and they tended to dominate while out there... but did nothing offensively, or memorable with it... They seem to thrive on the rush, but didn't do much in the zone when they had the puck.

That being said... it's one game... after only one exhibition game to warm up... weird things are happening, and I think every win before today, was by the team with the poorer regulations points, in the regular season.... Let's hope the big boys show up for the next game.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
yep, losing to the Nets late at home in 7 one year. painful memories.

Wasn't that the series where one of the refs was betting on the Nets?

The only thing was that it was not really the Nets' fault and it was months after the fact that the information came out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad