Post-Game Talk: Leafs no shows in game 1. Trail series 1-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Define what is “we’ll be just fine”?

We'll be fine. Nothing to worry about. The Leafs played a competitive game and fairly and deservedly lost to the better team.

This is not the end of the world. There's a rich life outside of hockey, and even outside of sports.

We'll be fine.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Define what is “we’ll be just fine”?

You are one of the Chicken Littles if that's your question to me. Really, it comes off as ridiculous and immature...you are essentially asking me a question so that you can be an internet hero trying to "destroy" my argument, and prove to everyone what a great fan you are for piling on the team for an overall very well played game on both sides that fell Columbus' way.

My definition won't change your mind. And you don't really want my definition.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
They did play well, as I said they seemed to tilt the ice. That doesn't change Kapanen seeming a step slow and Robby being a little overmatched as the game went on. They did well despite those things

Don't know what game you were watching, but Robertson was winning puck battles. Yes Kapanen was slow to get to that pass up ice, but other that, he was fine all game.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
You're right. It was a tightly contested team and the better team that deserved to win ended up winning.

It's just that you'd think a team that lost 90% of their talent would not be the better team when compared to a team that shelled out 3 out of the top 4 salaries in the league.

What you didn't mention, is that a team with two of the top young defenseman in the league, and who has one of the most man games lost in the league, ended up with almost the exact same number of points as the Leafs and now they are all healthy.

Perspective provides context.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
We needed to trade Kadri. Call me what you will, but this is almost a given and I'm surprised so many believed the contrary. If the reports at the time were true that the team had a vote to NOT allow Kadri to travel with the team after his suspension, then without question, he needed to be traded. That, on top of being warned by his coach on the bench to settle down, and he simply couldn't. For that alone, on top of back to back suspensions in the playoffs, he needed to be traded.

Kadri was not going to be our saviour. We won exactly zero playoff rounds with him on the roster. When he played his game with discipline, he was effective and could be useful come playoffs, when he went off the rails, well, he was a major liability. He knows he made a mistake. He's moved on and is probably far happier in relaxed Colorado. Too few Leaf fans have moved on...

If there is one quality of Leaf fans it is being harsh and extreme one way or another, really hating a player, or elevating a player to God like status. The worst part about the accolades, is they are too often thrown at players who didn't bring us even close to the Promised Land. Some players need a new scenery, the fishbowl of Toronto can make or break careers, it's not for everyone.

If all the speculation is true, then sure, Kadri needed to be traded.

But for freaking Barrie?!?!

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
That excuse went out the window when they demanded max dollars.

No it didn't. Did they age six years when they signed the deals?

Elite young players don't take cheap deals and end up underpaid anymore. Those days are over. They look at the MacKinnon's, the Scheifele's, the Pastrnak's (I don't care what he says there's no way he's happy being stuck at $6M after winning a Rocket) and say ''screw that, those guys left money on the table and it won't be me''. Pastrnak can say what he wants in the media but there's no way he's not looking at Auston Matthews one goal back of him for the Rocket and not wishing he had the same contract. If the timing worked out a little differently he would have it too, but of course it didn't work out that way so the contract police get to still point at him and say ''look how cheap that guy is''.

It's not just going to be a Leaf problem either. Just wait until Pettersson's ELC is up. Or the next wave studs like Lafreniere.

Last edited:

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
What you didn't mention, is that a team with two of the top young defenseman in the league, and who has one of the most man games lost in the league, ended up with almost the exact same number of points as the Leafs and now they are all healthy.

Perspective provides context.

Agreed. Better team won.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I kept saying do not sign Tavares and get a #1D instead and I was told to F-Off.

If you think JT is bad now; wait till he is in his 4th year of the the 7 year contract

Imagine Marner, he's been regressing so hard I wouldn't be surprised if in a couple of years he's just a glorified Kyle Wellwood.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Don't know what game you were watching, but Robertson was winning puck battles. Yes Kapanen was slow to get to that pass up ice, but other that, he was fine all game.

Yes he won some battles. Early on he was like a little mongoose closing faster than they expected and using great body position to neutralize their legs. But has the game wore on he lost effectiveness, especially if it wasn't a situation where he was the one initiating planned contact.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I mean it certainly does not help when a big part of that line, and the part of the line that probably touches the puck the most, has been wildly ineffective.

I find it interesting that people said Tavares was invisible when he actually made a number of great plays... He set up Mikheyev for one of our better scoring chances in the game. He won 15/17 of his faceoffs (extremely underrated and ridiculously good). He did a pretty good job defensively and his line had the best Corsi on our team. He was even getting into the right areas... He just missed. It happens.

8475166-30051-eventmap-5v5.png

Really, outside of a few bad bounces and a few defensive miscues, Columbus was shut down. Most of their inside opportunities came from one of our defenders getting caught on a pinch once in a while or something like that Dermott bounce at the offensive blue line. Otherwise, they were pretty much just hoping that an Atkinson goal would squeak in. They are not winning many games with heatmaps looking like this, with the vast majority of their shots coming from the outside and above the hash-marks. The Leafs, meanwhile, were forcing their way inside and getting these better opportunities... We just missed or Korpisalo had to make high quality saves.

20192020-30051-5v5.png

The Leafs need not get discouraged like most fans are getting discouraged. Nobody expected us to sweep Columbus. Perhaps they expected to win the first game, but the bounces did not go that way this time... Just use it as motivation, keep putting your foot down, and we will score goals and likely win this series.

Great post. We definitely played well enough to win, and you could argue deserved the win. But on the other hand after the game they showed a 30 second highlight real of some good Blue jacket forechecking, so that's that.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
It's pretty hilarious. Some of these posters I haven't seen for months and all of a sudden they show up now to crap all over the team.

About the penalties... there was one play in particular when Matthew got dumped behind the Columbus net, puck was nowhere near anyone, and there was no call... I was left yelling at the screen.

I feel there is definitely an effect with no fans, and of course some penalties like that will be missed, that's fine, but when there's a couple of missed penalties like that and the Crowd Goes Crazy, the refs do take notice and try to make up for it. It's just human nature.

Plays into Columbus' hand with their more physical play that there is no home crowd.

Penalties galore for almost every other game. Leafs game: we get 1 PP.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Imagine Marner, he's been regressing so hard I wouldn't be surprised if in a couple of years he's just a glorified Kyle Wellwood.

It all starts with Nylander's contract negotiations. Marner and Nylander should not have been apart by more than +/- million in their AAVs wrt to other players in the league and Matthews should not have been given that pathetic contract.

If Marner regresses 10.9 AAV is going to bite leafs on their ass so hard that leafs are gonna have to take a dump standing up because sitting on the toilet seat is going to hurt

10.9 AAV contract is not easily movable even without the uncertainties of where the cap will be in the post covid era; even without covid it would have been hard.

For the sake of my sanity i hope marner and nylander and matthews and tavares wake the F up and start producing or else I am just going to keep getting madder and madder and madder at dubas

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
It's fair to ask though if this is the best we can do -- end up in a 50/50 coin toss with CBJ in the 3rd period.

That doesn't bode well for us.
Personally, when we can see that 2 of our big 4 didn’t show up. I doubt this is the best the team can do. Also, I am not going to pretend to be an expert for the BJs but to me they literally played just as they advertised but we really can’t say the Leafs did.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
It happens. Just look at the New York Rangers: Brad Richards getting curbed by the Rangers after signing his retirement contract, Scott Gomez getting dumped by the Rangers after signing a retirement contract, Wade Redden being buried in the minors by the Rangers. And yet, Artemi Panarin.
wow one would NEVER have guessed that JT scored 47 goals 88 points and +19 last season

how about we worry when he has a season like Nylander did in year 1 of his phat new deal.

Reactions: MikeK

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
10.9 AAV contract is not easily movable even without the uncertainties of where the cap will be in the post covid era; even without covid it would have been hard.

Even if we pretend there was no COVID, I think the Leafs would have to retain a lot to unload that kind of contract for a small, weak winger whose shots are weaker than most players' passes.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019

Whoa man. I usually like your takes but this one is not good. His “regression” is one bad year after blowing away juniors and the vet steadily improving into a 90 point player.

He never should have demanded the contract he did. And there’s no doubt we now view him through that lens but let’s not go overboard.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Money Puck who deserved to win stat shows 49.8% chance for CBJ and 50.2% chance for the Leafs.

Truly an even battle between two equally capable bubble teams

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I think that's what it means too, but another season of this, I would expect the organization and him to have a serious heart to heart.

Dubas to JT,,,"i want you to move your wife and young child to Seattle"

JT to Dubas,,,"f*** OFF"

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Whoa man. I usually like your takes but this one is not good. His “regression” is one bad year after blowing away juniors and the vet steadily improving into a 90 point player.

He never should have demanded the contract he did. And there’s no doubt we now view him through that lens but let’s not focus overboard.

true, I'm just mad.

Reactions: Merrrlin

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
wow one would NEVER have guessed that JT scored 47 goals 88 points and +19 last season

how about we worry when he has a season like Nylander did in year 1 of his phat new deal.

Nylander makes $4 million less than Tavares and finished the regular season with 1 less point and a PPG of 0.87 to Tavares' 0.95, so you tell me who the bigger waste of money is.

Reactions: saffronleaf

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
This board is atrocious. If Matthews' chance out front went a bit higher and Andersen didn't flub an otherwise harmless shot from Atkinson, half of you would be praising this team's effort in grinding out a tough win, and the other half wouldn't be posting.

Any blanket comment saying the Leafs played poorly is way off of reality.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It all starts with Nylander's contract negotiations. Marner and Nylander should not have been apart by more than +/- million in their AAVs wrt to other players in the league and Matthews should not have been given that pathetic contract.

If Marner regresses 10.9 AAV is going to bite leafs on their ass so hard that leafs are gonna have to take a dump standing up because sitting on the toilet seat is going to hurt

For the sake of my sanity i hope marner and nylander and matthews and tavares wake the F up and start producing or else I am just going to keep getting madder and madder and madder at dubas

I'll be disappointed if they don't survive this round, but it is the following 2 seasons (if any real hockey takes place) that I will use to determine if one of them has to be moved.

In exhibition games teams can look a lot better / worse than regular season.

These are exhibition games that count.

80 cents on the dollar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad