Post-Game Talk: Leafs no shows in game 1. Trail series 1-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auston Richard

Feb 27, 2020
my only qualm is,,,,,, "extremely" was used as the adjective

that word should be used if he had scored 2 to win it ,

as for JT i still believe it was the right move at the right time

the mistake was to overpay AM,MM,WN ,,those overpays would be a huge chunk toward a quality Dman.
I agree that the JT signing was the right move at the moment and I supported it entirely. But, in hindsight, it's becoming ever more clearer that it was a mistake. And that's not even a criticism of JT. He's over a ppg as a leaf. It's the fact that we now have 50% of a stagnant cap with 4 forwards. Let's be honest... it's not working. And now one of the big 4 is going to have to go. And it won't be Tavares, as he's the captain and has a nmc. So now we're getting 5 more years of a declining Tavares instead of 5-10 more years of maturing Nylander or Marner.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Results is the only measuring stick.
If Leafs win the Cup, Dubas deserves credits for building the Leafs. Like all the experts say, this is a copycat league and if you win, and win consistently, you will be credit for starting a trend.
Conversely, if Dubas build the Leafs like other GMs and still can’t win the Cup, we probably will be saying, Thought Dubas was known to bring in new school ideas to make the Leafs diff and better, where are his new ideas, the Leafs is the same old Leafs under Lou, Nonis and Burke except with better players....
Like drafting, we criticize Dubas kept drafting small and skill players, but when they turn into Robertson, we are like great picks, if he turns into Bracco, we are like why Dubas kept getting small players....
Results is the only measuring stick.
i'm sorry but WTF has robertson done yet?????other then raise hope and hype??

Reactions: rumman

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Most teams dont have a player of Matthew's level to sign. One can debate some of the particular details/merits of the individual Leafs contract values but broadly speaking they arent particularly unique.

Star rfas DO get paid post elc unless they get bridged, which seems to happen less and less these days

Name 1 player that was made the 3rd highest paid forward in the league on the shortest term of anyone in the top 25 highest aavs for a career high of less than 80 points, besides auston matthews. I'll wait.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
So you’re saying paying 2 centers as #1 centers should be paid is okay? To me, it makes sense to have only one actual #1 center, then you use the other money to get that coveted #1 defenseman, assuming there’s one available.
2 centers > 2 wingers.
You keep Crosby and Malkin, spend on D and fit the right winger compliment in.

Reactions: Kurtz

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Name 1 player that was made the 3rd highest paid forward in the league on the shortest term of anyone in the top 25 highest aavs for a career high of less than 80 points, besides auston matthews. I'll wait.
Toews? Not sure if Nash ever hit top 3

kb

Aug 28, 2009
i have a compare for you B point (tbay) 6.75per ,rantanen 9.25,,mitch the little bitch 10.9
tkachuk 7m,,Aho 8.5m,,,Laine 6.75m,,Conner 7.15m,,,Meier 6m,,Guentzel 6m,,Debrincat 6.4m,,Keller 7.15

i see one name that does not fit his class
And I see a whole bunch of players who can't hold Marner's jock.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
exactly, the term was down right criminal, Dubas was schooled once again..............

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
your right we don't know, and the same can be said above your points in this post.............
Exactly, that’s why I don’t like comparing what Lou could have done as Leafs GM vs what’s Dubas has done and is doing.
As that’s all depends on one’s preference.
Lou might have traded Willie for Tanev and Boeser or Manson and a 2nd rounder or just draft picks. Lou might have gotten all three to sign for a total of 24mil or 30mil. We just don’t know and no point comparing.
What I don’t like is discrediting what Lou done as Leafs GM and his career. Like all GMs Lou has his ups and downs but you don’t get to be a GM for over 30 yrs by making bad decisions.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Toews? Not sure if Nash ever hit top 3

Toews signed an 8 year deal, not a measly 5, not to mention the Stanley cups, etc, etc.

Not the same.

If you are talking about his post elc deal then it is even less accurate. Toews was not made the 3red highest paid player on one of the shortest contracts for a career high of less than 80 points.

Only Matthews has been.

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

His deal is less relative value than Malkin's post elc deal and more than what Toews got, which seems right to me.

Hes the best goal scoring centre in the league, that's a very rare talent and they get paid as such.

Reactions: kb

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
This thread is evidence for why I sometimes avoid HF Boards . . . I watched the whole game on the big screen, thought the Leafs played pretty well overall, just came up a bit short in terms of goals and Andersen played extremely well except for that one that got through (I know, I know).
Get over yourselves Leafs Nation (the negative nellies out there) - this is a very good team, and we'll be just fine. We knew this wasn't a 3 game sweep, c'mon now. Pull yourselves together!
We've gone through decades of convincing ourselves that, as long as this team "plays pretty well", then a loss is like a win. I'm jaded after 50 years and don't buy that anymore - losing is losing - but hey, fill yer boots.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
i'm sorry but WTF has robertson done yet?????other then raise hope and hype??
Just making example.
Beside at the very least, don’t think anyone is saying Robertson is another Bracco and Petan and complain why Dubas drafted another small skill player....
If Robertson turns out like DeBrincat, people will say that was a great pick, if he turns out like Bracco, that’s a waste pick and Dubas should have drafted bigger players bc at least he can play in the bottom six instead of someone who can only play in the top 6....

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Toews post elc deal was 6 years and was worth around 11% of the cap when it was signed.

My bad then, thought the poster was talking about the 10 mil contract.

Either way, only 1 player has been made the 3rd highest paid forward with the shortest term of anyone in the top 25 highest paid for a career high of less than 80 points.

That would be Matthews.

Dubas is literally giving out contracts that have never been heard of before and I doubt any gm will ever do the same again.

Last edited:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
So you’re saying paying 2 centers as #1 centers should be paid is okay? To me, it makes sense to have only one actual #1 center, then you use the other money to get that coveted #1 defenseman, assuming there’s one available.
Pitt 3 cups,, sid/malk
Stloo,,, ROR/schenn
wash,,back/kuz
kings,,,kopi/carter
kings,,kopi/richards/carter
bruins ,,,berg/krejci
det,,,fed,yzer
col,,sakic..fors
canes,,,brind/staal
tbay,,,lecav/B rich
NYJ Gom/Niewy
dal,,,modano/niewy
edm dynasty,,gret/mess
nyi dynasty Trott/Goring

brother, i could go on and on about cup winners with 2 STUD Cs

i did not even bother to add those that had a STUD #1,,,crazy solid #2 and #3

it's been this way for a very very long time,,,strength up the middle,,solid D/G

wingers are needed but not the must have

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
We've gone through decades of convincing ourselves that, as long as this team "plays pretty well", then a loss is like a win. I'm jaded after 50 years and don't buy that anymore - losing is losing - but hey, fill yer boots.
A loss is a loss. No question about it.
But that doesn’t mean the Leafs is not going to win Game 2 and the series or even the Cup.
In the same logic, if the Leafs won last night, it doesn’t mean they will win Game 2, the series or the Cup.
As of today, despite their loss last night, they still have a chance to win three more games in this series.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gallagbi

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
sadly even if the Leafs get swept in 3 Dubas isn't going anywhere, long suffering Leaf fans are well aware that he'll be allotted more time to screw this team up further. It's the pain that unites us all.................
Leafs always disappoint like Crappy Tire on the first day of a sale - they are already sold out of the one thing you wanted.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I agree that the JT signing was the right move at the moment and I supported it entirely. But, in hindsight, it's becoming ever more clearer that it was a mistake. And that's not even a criticism of JT. He's over a ppg as a leaf. It's the fact that we now have 50% of a stagnant cap with 4 forwards. Let's be honest... it's not working. And now one of the big 4 is going to have to go. And it won't be Tavares, as he's the captain and has a nmc. So now we're getting 5 more years of a declining Tavares instead of 5-10 more years of maturing Nylander or Marner.
you believe JT is declining but he posted his PB season with us last year

i don't see his decline for some time yet

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
2 centers > 2 wingers.
You keep Crosby and Malkin, spend on D and fit the right winger compliment in.

Okay, I can agree with that. I guess my only concern would be, 2 or 3 or 4 years down the road, who would you rather be paying the $11 million to, Marner or Tavares? As well as trying to upgrade your defence? But I do believe Marner is definitely being overpaid.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Well unfortunately it often doesn't take much for opposing skaters to solve Freddie with all the howlers he's been dishing out in the playoffs.

You really should care about how opposing tenders play. You can't win a Cup when yours is outplayed.
IF my tender is posting a .971 sv% and the game is lost?

then that's ALL on the 76 million paid to the skaters,,,,full stop

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I don’t think it is fair to use JT first season with the Leafs as his norm, since that was his career best.
What I like to see if JT playing with grinders with some skill like Hyman, as those are the type of players JT makes better. In a way,JT is used to making 2mil players playing like a 4-5mil player.

Reactions: Faltorvo

Auston Richard

Feb 27, 2020
you believe JT is declining but he posted his PB season with us last year

i don't see his decline for some time yet
A lot of players start declining in their early 30's. We have Tavares till 35. It's very likely he'll start declining soon. And it's very likely that Nylander/Marner will continue to improve. If we lose one of them due to the JT contract, it reinforces that the JT signing was a mistake.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Okay, I can agree with that. I guess my only concern would be, 2 or 3 or 4 years down the road, who would you rather be paying the $11 million to, Marner or Tavares? As well as trying to upgrade your defence? But I do believe Marner is definitely being overpaid.
Don’t think JT will be a 11mil player 3-4yrs down the line but he should still be a very effective C, just look at Bergeron.
Marner needs to a better shot to be worth his contract.

Reactions: shanwhatplan

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Pitt 3 cups,, sid/malk
Stloo,,, ROR/schenn
wash,,back/kuz
kings,,,kopi/carter
kings,,kopi/richards/carter
bruins ,,,berg/krejci
det,,,fed,yzer
col,,sakic..fors
canes,,,brind/staal
tbay,,,lecav/B rich
NYJ Gom/Niewy
dal,,,modano/niewy
edm dynasty,,gret/mess
nyi dynasty Trott/Goring

brother, i could go on and on about cup winners with 2 STUD Cs

i did not even bother to add those that had a STUD #1,,,crazy solid #2 and #3

it's been this way for a very very long time,,,strength up the middle,,solid D/G

wingers are needed but not the must have

And I’m not saying Marner should be paid what he’s being paid (I said around $3 million too much). And I agree wholeheartedly about strength down the middle, I just don’t feel that we needed to spend $22 million on 2 centers.
I don’t know how to compare the salary cap situation we’re in (how much our 4 forwards are taking up compared to those teams top 4 forwards you just showed me), but I know ours is out of whack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad