Speculation: Leafs need defensive help to contend

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
or the leafs could wait a year and sign him for free.
We are contenders this year and next, he is under contract 1 more year @ 6.5m... he goes for $9-10m on the open market, we don't have that. It's gotta be through trade, and probably knowing it's just a this year + next year rental.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
I think you're being a little optimistic here.

If Zadarov can't cut it for Colorado (their defense is worse than ours) what makes you think he's going to cut it here?
He was scratched for 1 game in 3 years because he has a habit of Gardner esq turnovers. He has been their 2nd best defensemen since. You can say his downside is he makes stupid plays once in a while but when he plays well he really plays well. I watch almost every avalanche game he absolutely can cut it in Colorado. Jared Bednar was sending a wake-up call to his turnovers and seems to have worked. But yes he can play like shit and then play like a top defensemen the next game.. Not ideal but his toughness and physicality would absolutely help

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
If the Blues is willing to part Pietra for Zai, Brown, one of Goat/Bracco/Tima and draft picks. You make that deal even if one of the draft picks is an unprotected 1st.
Don’t think the Blues will want to though, but then again Karlsson got traded for pretty much nothing.

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
The panic button jmhas been pushed on here it's kinda funny reading some.

In ot saying our defence is great but good enough to statistically be one of leagues best. Last night was a wake up call though and I get it but let's not forget freddy was bad and so were all the forwards. We were barely in Boston's end and that's not all on our D. We had no push

Having said that it's clear to be that we do need to move gardiner but must result is us getting a trouba type back. Forget these st louis boys, won't happen but clear to me last night we desperately need a trouba/nurse types in our back end that can send a message and I think both will be available in summer.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Is it though? Seems like the coaching staff is utilizing a very obvious strength of our forwards. That "cheating" creates a ton of high danger chances off the rush.
You must not understand my point. I'm not talking about us trying to create off the rush by stretching the play or something. I'm talking about things like floating instead of picking up your man after a turnover in the neutral zone.

Guys like Marner, Tavares, and Matthews don't need to cheat to create offense. They can do it all. When we play well, they do it all.

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
Zaitsev ,Brown for Peitrangelo , throw in a late round pick and we save 100k in cap .

The classic trade proposal of list a couple of players you don't like, sure the other team will love that and a late pick for a guy you really want.

If St. Louis trades Pietrangelo it's going to be something along the lines of Zaitsev (for the cap reason) and then the real reason why they make the trade -- either Kapanen or Johnsson.

I don't think that is worth it for the Leafs.

I'm not as negative about Zaitsev as others, and replacing him with Pietrangelo who is on the downside and only here for 1 and a quarter year isn't worth losing a good young player like Kapanen or Johnsson.

Reactions: Al14

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
The classic trade proposal of list a couple of players you don't like, sure the other team will love that and a late pick for a guy you really want.

If St. Louis trades Pietrangelo it's going to be something along the lines of Zaitsev (for the cap reason) and then the real reason why they make the trade -- either Kapanen or Johnsson.

I'm not as negative about Zaitsev as others, and replacing him with Pietrangelo who is on the downside and only here for 1 and a quarter year isn't worth losing a good young player like Kapanen or Johnsson.
Zaitsev is practically a negative asset at this point because of his contract... he just has to be included to balance things for the Leafs and somewhat fill the hole for St Louis. Brown is a young serviceable, 2-way, 3rd line player. We would have to add picks and prospects for it to work... add to the package 1st + 2nd + prospect, maybe gets it done.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011

He isn't on down swing. Just tough yr and now hurt. But I think Zaitsev, Johnsson, a prospect and a 2nd round may do it

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Zaitsev isn’t a negative asset. He’s a solid player.

Yeah, he sucks at zone exits, but he’s an excellent defensive guy. He’s like 6th lowest in terms of OZS. But given how much he starts in the defensive zone is still around 48-49% in terms of CF% and IIRC it’s been an uptick since the start of the year.

He gets paid 2nd pairing money and he’s a 2nd pairing guy.

It makes sense for us to move him, especially if we want to make a swing for a true partner for Rielly, but that doesn’t make him a negative asset.

I would bet money on if we wanted to, we could get a top 62 pick for him tomorrow.

For the same reasons, I would give up a lot to get Hjalmarsson on this team.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If the Blues is willing to part Pietra for Zai, Brown, one of Goat/Bracco/Tima and draft picks. You make that deal even if one of the draft picks is an unprotected 1st.
Don’t think the Blues will want to though, but then again Karlsson got traded for pretty much nothing.

That would be a perfect deal to go after.

standers

Dec 1, 2015
First it's nylander for pesce from Carolina.

Now zai and brown for Petragenlo?

I'll take the petrangelo deal

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Gudas should be the target. Hes everything we wanted Polak to be. I'd add both him and Tanev. I know people hate Tanev for his injury history but he gets hurt because he plays hard. Both of these guys would completely change how this D looks.

I would absolutely love Tanev, but not at the cost of any high end prospects or picks. If he can be had for more of a b prospect and 1-2 2nd's/3rds, then sure. But you don't give up a Liljegren/Sandin for a guy who likely won't be healthy.

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
Zaitsev is practically a negative asset at this point because of his contract... he just has to be included to balance things for the Leafs and somewhat fill the hole for St Louis. Brown is a young serviceable, 2-way, 3rd line player. We would have to add picks and prospects for it to work... add to the package 1st + 2nd + prospect, maybe gets it done.

The Blues aren't trading Pietrangelo for Connor Brown and pick....the young players they want will be Kapanen (more likely) or Johnsson. You don't get to dump all the players fans don't like in a package and expect to get a superstar in return.

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
Zaitsev isn’t a negative asset. He’s a solid player.

Yeah, he sucks at zone exits, but he’s an excellent defensive guy. He’s like 6th lowest in terms of OZS. But given how much he starts in the defensive zone is still around 48-49% in terms of CF% and IIRC it’s been an uptick since the start of the year.

He gets paid 2nd pairing money and he’s a 2nd pairing guy.

It makes sense for us to move him, especially if we want to make a swing for a true partner for Rielly, but that doesn’t make him a negative asset.

I agree with you about Zaitsev not being a negative asset.

Personally, I don't really see how it's much of an upgrade to the defensive unit to add a player like Pieterangelo if you're substracting Zaitsev. If there's a way to keep Zaitsev and add a player like Pieterangelo then you are upgrading. But to do that you'd be robbing the future and need to give up a core young forward.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I agree with you about Zaitsev not being a negative asset.

Personally, I don't really see how it's much of an upgrade to the defensive unit to add a player like Pieterangelo if you're substracting Zaitsev. If there's a way to keep Zaitsev and add a player like Pieterangelo then you are upgrading. But to do that you'd be robbing the future and need to give up a core young forward.

Pietrangelo would make a massive difference, even if subtracting Zaitsev.

It instantly gives you that top RHD that the Leafs lack.

Piet-Hainsey-Oz >>>> Hainsey-Zaitsev-Oz

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

It would almost certainly mean the loss of Gards in the offseason though so it would make perfect sense then to trade him before the playoffs this year no?

We would get that right side but the left would be Rielly/Dermott/Rosen?

....unless you just want Gards as a self rental but then we get nothing.

Lots of moving pieces to think about here.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It would almost certainly mean the loss of Gards in the offseason though so it would make perfect sense then to trade him before the playoffs this year no?

We would get that right side but the left would be Rielly/Dermott/Rosen?

....unless you just want Gards as a self rental but then we get nothing.

Lots of moving pieces to think about here.

I’d be fine with keeping Gards and letting him walk. Try and make as big of a run as we can.

Rielly - Pietrangelo
Gardiner - Hainsey
Dermott - Ozhiganov

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017

Not if it's also costing you a Kapanen.

But if we're talking about trying to win the Cup, adding Pietrangelo and keeping Zaitsev improves things. Just swapping them isn't a huge upgrade into a Cup winning team especially considering it's not going to be 1 for 1 trade or a 1 for 1 and throw in all the Leafs garbage that fans want to get rid of.

Zaitsev, Kapanen and draft pick for Pietrangelo does not improve the team, imo.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
I didn't say Zaits was a negative asset he's just the guy who's cap hit makes sense and I was adding to previous posters offers , I would not be trading Johnsson or Kappy at this point in their development , Brown is an interesting piece for a lot of teams , he brings an energy and again Brown works for the cap hit when combined with Zaits . Personally I would be like to keep Zaits and be offering something from the Marlies but we will need to win the cap side of any trade not take on a couple of million .

PS Standers try learning a little context ,the Nylander talk was in response to the direct question of who would we like to see in return for him if we don't sign him . I'd say get a dictionary but in your case maybe start with a thesaurus and work your way forward from their .

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto

Sorry to break it to you, but Pietrangelo is a LHD.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Sorry to break it to you, but Pietrangelo is a LHD.

That’s even more impressive, because he’s always using a right handed stick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad