Speculation: Leafs need defensive help to contend

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I'd be very happy with that. The problem that appears is that we'd have to deplete our offensive depth to upgrade the D if we make a deal with St. Louis. I can't imagine they take on Zaitsev unless we give them a 1st and Kapanen. That would be enough to stop me right there.

I believe the Leafs will be looking for someone who's not quite as good/expensive as Parayko. Probably a Muzzin or Tanev type. Teams far out who won't be competing any time soon. They'll be happier with picks and prospects than players leaving their ELC's.

Love the idea of Gudas though. Tough as nails and can play a top 4 role.

As much as I'd love to see Parayko on the team, that's still a massive gamble to take.

It would certainly take a spreading out of tough minutes with Oz most certainly out of the lineup. Hainsey is in the top 10 in the league for hardest comp faced and Zaitsev ranks around 50 league wide.

Would have to hope the heavily sheltered Dermott is ready to step up to tough minutes as Gudas would get destroyed playing Zaitsevs minutes IMO. Babs also likes to match and this might drive him crazy.

Would certainly be a fun recalibration but dont think the Blues or the Leafs (who you point out would have to give up some valuable assets) would do it.

Reactions: smitty10

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I'd like to see us get 2 defense men at TDL who are strong enough to handle the weight and speed of Boston's/Washington's forecheck. And also who can break up a cycle game. Hainsey has no answer, Rielly has no answer and Gards has no answer. Dermott has best chance but he is a little small. Z does not even seem to enjoy it one bit. Oz is learning how the game is played so we can't tell yet. McQuaid and Chiarot could help in the down low play as they can withstand the forecheck. They would not cost a lot and we could let them walk in summer. They don't have to play against some opponents. Like I said we only need them against certain teams. They are like insurance policies.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
I saw givaways and missed defensive duties by the forwards as the biggest issue last night .

Didnt help Anderson was outplayed by Halak either.

We totally have been better team in first period and should have been up 1 or 2 goals. We capitalize and go ahead in score and that is all different game afterwards. In this new NHL if you score first you have much better chance of winning the game and Leafs are constructed that way to get and keep the lead. I’m optimistic.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I'd like to see us get 2 defense men at TDL who are strong enough to handle the weight and speed of Boston's/Washington's forecheck. And also who can break up a cycle game. Hainsey has no answer, Rielly has no answer and Gards has no answer. Dermott has best chance but he is a little small. Z does not even seem to enjoy it one bit. Oz is learning how the game is played so we can't tell yet. McQuaid and Chiarot could help in the down low play as they can withstand the forecheck. They would not cost a lot and we could let them walk in summer. They don't have to play against some opponents. Like I said we only need them against certain teams. They are like insurance policies.

McQuaid or Lovejoy would be nice cheap options but they do not move Hainsey and Z down. Not sure Jets would be interested in trading Chiarot.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
McQuaid or Lovejoy would be nice cheap options but they do not move Hainsey and Z down. Not sure Jets would be interested in trading Chiarot.
Thats right I would get them for 5 and 6 roles and insert them against Boston's 2nd and 3rd forecheck lines. For the top line you have to go with Rielly and Dermott and hope. I would bring Rielly's mom to every single playoff game and sit her near glass and make sure Morgan knows where she is sitting. She is not your typical mom she is one tough cookie. I heard she flew in from Vancouver before game 3 last year and blasted him huge in front of a large crowd as playing like a scared ****. Then he went on the ice in game 3 and played one of greatest games I have ever seen him play. He totally dominated that game. He was the best player on that ice and it should have been Morgan 1st , 2nd and 3rd star. If he can bring that game for 16 playoff games then we win the Cup this season. But we did have games 1 and 2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad