McKenzie: Leafs, Muzzin talking extension

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I’m going against the grain and expecting 4x4.5. GMs have learned their lessons and tend to be more conservative with these players at this point in their career

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I"d walk away from a 5 year deal.

4 years is the max I'd go. Rather overpay on $$ than term.

Muzzin will want 3 years or 5+. 4 years is bad for him cause he would be 35+ on his next contract and retirement factor kicks in. Do I have his age right on a 4 year contract taking him to 35+ on his next contract? :dunno:. Think I do?

Dubas is probably trying to get him for 5 or 6 years on a team friendly AAV where the money is front loaded and lots of money up front each year in July. If Muzzin wants to stay cause he is a Ontario boy, he might bite. Or they try to see if there is common ground on a 3 year term. However, guaranteed money is usually what players are after.

Leafs can't afford to overpay in the 3 year term IMO. Cap room is not there to overspend in the short term on Muzzin cause there would be little left for other improvements

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
I dont think Barrie was ever going to be extended here. He was always going to cost too much. Let him be some other GM's mistake. He's going to get 7x7, maybe more, depending on desperation this summer.
People were saying the same about Myers last year but he only got 5x6

Reactions: qqaz

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Muzzin will want 3 years or 5+. 4 years is bad for him cause he would be 35+ on his next contract and retirement factor kicks in. Do I have his age right on a 4 year contract taking him to 35+ on his next contract? :dunno:. Think I do?

Dubas is probably trying to get him for 5 or 6 years on a team friendly AAV where the money is front loaded and lots of money up front each year in July. If Muzzin wants to stay cause he is a Ontario boy, he might bite. Or they try to see if there is common ground on a 3 year term. However, guaranteed money is usually what players are after.

Leafs can't afford to overpay in the 3 year term IMO. Cap room is not there to overspend in the short term on Muzzin cause there would be little left for other improvements
4 year deal takes him to 35

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I"d walk away from a 5 year deal.

4 years is the max I'd go. Rather overpay on $$ than term.

I'm probably one of the few who would prefer it the other way around. I'd be ok giving him more term if it means the AAV cap hit goes down. There's a window here that's as open as it can get. Andersen has this year and next on his contract, Rielly with one more after that. The next 3ish seasons should be an all-out Cup push in Toronto.

I'd give him 5 or 6 years if it means the cap hit is low enough. Front load it to death so the final years are still moveable.

Jun 27, 2005
The Leafs currently only have one bad contract, Ceci, and he's out after this season. Muzzin is almost sure to be the next one if he gets anything over 3 years. The Leafs need to let him go, he's already 30.

Jun 27, 2005
So? Lots of players are effective past 30

He's already pretty slow and n0t going to get any faster. How many times have teams made this same mistake and regret it. I'm having flashbacks to Komisarek and Beauchemin. No more than three years and even then it's a risk.

mflo77

Jul 9, 2002
Visit site
Muzzin currently makes 4 million per year. He certainly isnt going to take a pay cut. I can see a contract of 5 years, 4.75 per (money all front loaded in first 3 years, making only 1 million in real money in years 4 and 5).

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Muzzin currently makes 4 million per year. He certainly isnt going to take a pay cut. I can see a contract of 5 years, 4.75 per (money all front loaded in first 3 years, making only 1 million in real money in years 4 and 5).

That's not a legal contract.

I think some Leafs fans are going to be disappointed if they think Muzzin is signing for less than $5 million. The absolute least I see is $5.5 million AAV. In reality, he's probably going to get a contract similar to Mike Green, something like 3-4 years at $6 million AAV.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

I think some Leafs fans are going to be disappointed if they think Muzzin is signing for less than $5 million. The absolute least I see is $5.5 million AAV. In reality, he's probably going to get a contract similar to Mike Green, something like 3-4 years at $6 million AAV.
I mean disappointed because he isnt a Leaf absolutely. It really comes down to how much he wants to stay in Toronto. Nobody is saying he wouldn't get more on the open market.

mflo77

Jul 9, 2002
Visit site

why isnt it a legal contract?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad