McKenzie: Leafs, Muzzin talking extension

Hitemwith4

Jul 1, 2019
If Muzzin wants 3 year around his current salary then i think its fine. Anything longer then that, the leafs should move on from Muzzin

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Muzzin made 4.5 his last two years in true salary, he's not going to take a pay cut when he becomes UFA and his payday hits.

At the lowest its going to be something like 4 years around 6M AAV, and there are teams out there that will easily pay that.

To get the AAV down it would take something very long term, which TOR shouldn't do.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Leafs really can't afford to pay UFA years in these contracts. Rielly, Dermott & Sandin should be good enough to fill out the LHD they just need some solid defense first rhd.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
I'd offer him 4 years 6 million at the absolute most, if he says no then trade him to the highest bidder at the deadline.

Yep with your team going inti the playoff that would go over well with the other players and fans. When you have serious Cup hopes you keep those players and worry about the rest after the season.

Reactions: WillyNy

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Muzzin is a good D but with Rielly, Dermott and Sandin they should probably target a RD. Just my opinion

The issue with Dubas and the way he has up now constructed our roster is it’s always Skill Skill Skill and you can’t have a team that is all Skill. It’s the reason why Barrie with Reilly doesn’t work. Dermott and Sandin are very similar type players. Obviously the ceiling on Sandin IMO and most is higher. Muzzin provides size, grit and is one of our best defenders.

We do need to target RHD but the right ones. Ideally Pietrangelo, if he isn’t available a Hamonic type player (Mobile, physicality, size and hopefully decent hockey IQ-I know every team is looking for this) but if we add that type of player our back end no longer becomes a hindrance but a positive!

Reactions: Getz2noone

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
Love Muzz, he has a lot of hard miles on that body.
I could see him going the way of Seabrook in terms of fall off

Leaf's need to be careful.

And for Muzz given it is his last contract (probably) he needs to get what he can.

Reactions: exporta

Mantooth

Mar 4, 2013
Im totally fine with Muzzin. Have enough speed on d. Need some toughness somewhere and someone who can clear front of net.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The issue with Dubas and the way he has up now constructed our roster is it’s always Skill Skill Skill and you can’t have a team that is all Skill. It’s the reason why Barrie with Reilly doesn’t work. Dermott and Sandin are very similar type players. Obviously the ceiling on Sandin IMO and most is higher. Muzzin provides size, grit and is one of our best defenders.

We do need to target RHD but the right ones. Ideally Pietrangelo, if he isn’t available a Hamonic type player (Mobile, physicality, size and hopefully decent hockey IQ-I know every team is looking for this) but if we add that type of player our back end no longer becomes a hindrance but a positive!

The issue with Dubas is hhe has completely ignored the backup goalie situation and that has cost the team a minimum of 4 wins, and probably more but certainly no less

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
A lot of people don't seem to get what Muzzin brings to us. Solid two way D who is physical, has a cup ring and is a local boy.

No one else on our Blueline checks the boxes he does.

The emergence of Sandin makes Dermott expendable, not Muzzin.

4x5 Mil

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Wasn't McDonagh considered a #1 for the longest time?

With the Rangers back when yes but what does that have to do with him at 30? Are you implying that Muzzin should not get the same as McDonagh in the next contract? We have two years of inflation to factor in since McDonagh's contact and both today are 40+ D men. The other factor is the taxes are much less in Florida

If the Leafs extend Muzzin, it's going to be around 4 years where his next contract is not a 35+ contract and Muzzin gives a bit of a team friendly deal. Leafs can't afford to overpay or compete with UFA offers. Plus Muzzin is a Ontario boy and he might want to stay and leave a bit on the table.

4 years at $6M is what I say. Think Edler type contract cause Edler wanted to stay and Muzzin might also want to stay if the deal is something he can live with. I think Dubas tries to get him at $5 - $6M range.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
With the Rangers back when yes but what does that have to do with him at 30? Are you implying that Muzzin should not get the same as McDonagh in the next contract? We have two years of inflation to factor in since McDonagh's contact and both today are 40+ D men. The other factor is the taxes are much less in Florida

If the Leafs extend Muzzin, it's going to be around 4 years where his next contract is not a 35+ contract and Muzzin gives a bit of a team friendly deal. Leafs can't afford to overpay or compete with UFA offers. Plus Muzzin is a Ontario boy and he might want to stay and leave a bit on the table.

4 years at $6M is what I say. Think Edler type contract cause Edler wanted to stay and Muzzin might also want to stay if the deal is something he can live with. I think Dubas tries to get him at $5 - $6M range.

I could see 5.5, not 6 million though

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
A lot of people don't seem to get what Muzzin brings to us. Solid two way D who is physical, has a cup ring and is a local boy.

No one else on our Blueline checks the boxes he does.

The emergence of Sandin makes Dermott expendable, not Muzzin.

4x5 Mil

Sandin looks promising but he doesn't make Dermott expendale yet, not after 10 games.

Maybe he does eventually but not yet.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I could see 5.5, not 6 million though

I think he gets $6M on the open market in July but the talk right now in season is probably Dubas trying to get him in the $5M - $6M range and kicking tires. It would be smart for the Leafs not to wait this summer to address that D. Lots of work to do there with little cap room. That's a big to do list in back to back summers. Getting Muzzin on a team friendly deal would be a good move.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Sandin looks promising but he doesn't make Dermott expendale yet, not after 10 games.

Maybe he does eventually but not yet.
You kind of missed the whole point of the post. It was more about a bunch of similar type D-men vs Muzzin, not about rushing Sandin in, deciding our blueline going forward or trading Dermott.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think he gets $6M on the open market in July but the talk right now in season is probably Dubas trying to get him in the $5M - $6M range and kicking tires. It would be smart for the Leafs not to wait this summer to address that D. Lots of work to do there with little cap room. That's a big to do list in back to back summers. Getting Muzzin on a team friendly deal would be a good move.

If he hits the UFA market he might get 6 million but as of today it doesn't souund like he's going to.

I think he comes in slightly under.

5.5 maybe 5.75 million but I don't think he hits 6 million if he stays in Toronto

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If he hits the UFA market he might get 6 million but as of today it doesn't souund like he's going to.

I think he comes in slightly under.

5.5 maybe 5.75 million but I don't think he hits 6 million if he stays in Toronto

Depends on what Muzzin thinks he can get in the open market and how much he wants to leave on the table. Right now it's talk that might develop into something or fall though. Looking from the outside (Habs fan), Dubas trying to see what he can extend Muzzin for makes sense. The to do list on the back end is huge again this summer. Shorten the list so you don't have to do it all at once

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Depends on what Muzzin thinks he can get in the open market and how much he wants to leave on the table. Right now it's talk that might develop into something or fall though. Looking from the outside (Habs fan), Dubas trying to see what he can extend Muzzin for makes sense. The to do list on the back end is huge again this summer. Shorten the list so you don't have to do it all at once

The to do list might not be as big as people thought especially if they can get Muzzin signed.

Holl has really been a pleasant surprise, and Sandin looks promising, granted it's only been 10 games for Sandin but it's a promising start.

If Holl and Sandin can keep this up, it's possible they could be looking for 1 top 4 guy, and then MAYBE a depth guy to. push down Marincin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad