Sportsnet: Leafs made offer on Travis Hamonic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
That was not a good trade obviously, but what some people tend to forget is that Chia traded away nearly all Edmonton's picks that draft because he had just started as the Oilers GM and did not trust the previous regime's scouting at all. I think he might have actually fired the Oilers head scout just before the draft. That is probably the biggest reason he was willing to gamble with such high picks and it is not a situation that is going to happen very often.

That might have been one of the worst trades I've ever seen

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Thats new... Tavares could no longer fetch Marner or Nylander...

I think that is probably correct, though not because Marner and Nylander are better than Tavares at the present time. It would be for a variety of other reasons such as - Matthews fills the number one centre role on the Leafs already.
- Having both Matthews and Tavares would probably create a cap problem in the middle term future.
- Marner and Nylander are club controlled and on cheaper contracts right now while Tavares is on the verge of becoming a UFA. If he doesn't become a UFA, it will be because his club has rewarded him with a big contract, long term (See earlier problems above.)
Given all that, it would be unwise for the Leafs to trade either Marner or Nylander for Tavares. A really good young Dman, maybe, but Tavares, I think not.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Nylander for Hamonic book it

maxresdefault.jpg

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I hope they can get this done and I think they might want to pull the trigger. The east is getting weaker.

You got the Rangers dealing arguably their best their best center and a quality goalie in Rannta in the same deal and in exchange got a quality asset in the 7th pick but that is not helping you net season so now the NYR have some big holes to fill.

Washington did just sign Oshie but they are going to lose half their D and probably Justin Williams on top of that, they will be the same team they have been, they will be a playoff team but they areclearly on the way down.

Tampa got weaker by losing Drouin, their top 6 is not as good as it was last year

Montreal did get Drouin which was a good move, but they look like they are going to lose Radulov so how much better are they? plus their blue line is in shambles

then you got Ottawa who lost a top 4 D man in Methot for free they have a big hole on their D and with Karlsson out to start the year they are down to 2 top 4 d men.

If you are the Leafs and you see the east getting weaker around you, you have an elite young core, you might want to make your move while you have your young stars on their ELC and it's easier to add quality vets, because once the big 3 get paid adding depth gets harder

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Hamonic is a scrub. Leafs would be wise to stay far, far, away unless he comes dirt cheap. He's a 4/5 defender at best. He's injury prone too. Might as well go for Tanev and enjoy the shot suppression st least.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
I can see JVR and a 1st for Hamonic. Hamonic is on a very cap friendly deal for 3 more years so makes sense for the Leafs. JVR is not a center but certainly helps the islanders upfront. Only downside JVR a free agent 2018 and isles need to pay Tavares.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Hamonic is a scrub. Leafs would be wise to stay far, far, away unless he comes dirt cheap. He's a 4/5 defender at best. He's injury prone too. Might as well go for Tanev and enjoy the shot suppression st least.

GMs don't seem to think he's a scrub. Many teams really interested in him.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I can see JVR and a 1st for Hamonic. Hamonic is on a very cap friendly deal for 3 more years so makes sense for the Leafs. JVR is not a center but certainly helps the islanders upfront. Only downside JVR a free agent 2018 and isles need to pay Tavares.

Another LW? Are trying to field an entire wing corps of LW's.

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City

While Hamonic alone isn't worth Nylander, this post couldn't be farther from the truth.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Even as someone that wants to keep JVR I'd be OK with that because we save cap space and get a top pair guy to play with Rielly

Unhealthy Scratch

Auston 4:16
Mar 15, 2016
Hamonic doesn't score and has consistently been absolutely dummied in terms of scoring chances for/against throughout his career. Even on the PP and PK he's been the worst defenseman on his team in that regard.

He does play tough minutes, but we're in the market for someone who can handle those difficult match-ups on the top pairing with Rielly, not get buried even worse than Rielly-Zaitsev did. I'm puzzled as to why we'd even have any interest.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad