Leafs Lounge V.134 - Where Vegetarians Rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Leafs are 1-0, Caps are 0-1. Bottom line.

Grabo is as relevant to me right now as Aki Berg

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Who cares about Grabovski?

Every time we get rid of a player they suddenly become Wayne Gretzky on here

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
We should get a LL online GTA going sometime :laugh:

If anyone wants to trade gamertags, let me know

JMcLeaf

44N9d6e.png

Baarle*

May 29, 2010
28.294194, -39.07612
Why the hell do universities let people who clearly can't speak English teach? I have 5 courses this semester, in two of the 5 courses I can't understand my prof. One has a nice combination of some African/French accent, while another one of my prof's is some Indian guy just has a very thick accent. This isn't me being discriminatory, this language barrier is preventing me from understanding the content. I realize it's the same at most if not all schools, but it's still ridiculous. I've stopped going to these lectures because the slides are online anyways and I can do a much better job teaching myself.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Why the hell do universities let people who clearly can't speak English teach? I have 5 courses this semester, in two of the 5 courses I can't understand my prof. One has a nice combination of some African/French accent, while another one of my prof's is some Indian guy just has a very thick accent. This isn't me being discriminatory, this language barrier is preventing me from understanding the content. I realize it's the same at most if not all schools, but it's still ridiculous. I've stopped going to these lectures because the slides are online anyways and I can do a much better job teaching myself.

Profs are scholars first, teachers second.

Apr 1, 2010

What do you want?

No one wants to teach you ignorant ****s. That's why immigrants get the job. Then they realise how disrespectful, and stupid you all are. Looking at a ****ing car accident on Youtube instead of paying attention to a lesson that defines your entire field of study.

People who've live'd here know. They ****ing raised you. Your parents tried, and now they don't want to waste any more time trying to teach you. So they let new citizens teach you.

So either learn to understand a ****ing accent or go flip my burger dumbass.

/ old man rant

Baarle*

May 29, 2010
28.294194, -39.07612
What do you want?

No one wants to teach you ignorant ****s. That's why immigrants get the job. Then they realise how disrespectful, and stupid you all are. Looking at a ****ing car accident on Youtube instead of paying attention to a lesson that defines your entire field of study.

People who've live'd here know. They ****ing raised you. Your parents tried, and now they don't want to waste any more time trying to teach you. So they let new citizens teach you.

So either learn to understand a ****ing accent or go flip my burger dumbass.

/ old man rant
What the **** are you going on about? :laugh:

How do I "learn" to understand an accent? Maybe the immigrants should learn to speak the language somewhat decently? If a prof put a little bit of effort into their presentation style, or if the uni would have some criteria during the hiring process, students wouldn't want to browse the internet during the lecture. If you make the lecture interesting, or at the very least informative people might be a little more inclined to pay attention.

Also, don't pretend these people are volunteering to teach, they're getting paid good money to do what they do.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA

Profs don't generally have a very vested interest in teaching. They are there for their brains and contributions to the uni, which is what gets them paid the big bucks. Teaching is just that bad part of the job for them they have to endure, so unless you get a nice guy, they really won't give 2 ***** how they teach, to them it's just the "I'll do this just barely passable enough so I can keep getting paid here" part of the job. That's also why you see many foreigners. I have one prof with a Boston accent and another with a Polish accent.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
What the **** are you going on about? :laugh:

How do I "learn" to understand an accent? Maybe the immigrants should learn to speak the language somewhat decently? If a prof put a little bit of effort into their presentation style, or if the uni would have some criteria during the hiring process, students wouldn't want to browse the internet during the lecture. If you make the lecture interesting, or at the very least informative people might be a little more inclined to pay attention.

Also, don't pretend these people are volunteering to teach, they're getting paid good money to do what they do.

You sound like an absolute idiot with these posts.

What the hell do you mean immigrants should learn to speak the language decently?

Go to a essay/paper writing contest with your profs and they will wipe the floor with you. 90% of them know the English language better than you ever will because they are constantly writing/reviewing papers and communicating in the language at a very high level. And as Grant said, Uni's honestly don't give much of a crap about teaching quality. They want the top researchers, and minds in their fields to boost the Uni's image and research performance.

When you get to Uni, its about time you learn to teach yourself. If you can't understand your prof, go to a TA and read the material yourself. Profs aren't supposed to be teachers like in HS, they are more like guides telling you what things to study. It's like that at Waterloo, U of T, and all the top schools in the world.

Finally, what do you propose immigrants do to lose the accent? Ever try speaking in Hindi, Arabic, Chinese, etc? These languages are COMPLETELY different than English, and if you ever tried speaking them you too will have the thickest accent ever because the letters, and words sound very different than anything you have ever done before. It isn't easy to change speaking habits which have been with you for 20-30 or more years.

The universities know more than you, and that is why they hire the best minds instead of going for the best English speakers.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
Lol I get what you mean Baarle.

I had a russian supply teacher for physics with a really thick accent. But man, I learned more from him in 2 minutes than with my normal canadian teacher in the last month.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
I understand baarle ha. All we have dealt with all our lives is English only speaking white people. Maybe a little Dutch, that's about it. I have a tough time with accents to. Lmao

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Morning lounge .. Sorry for the LL keeper GM's in here, I haven't had any time to get my **** sorted out since work has been hectic and I my home laptop is broken

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Anyone have a desktop calendar of the Leafs schedule?

Saw some guy with a habs one in my lecture and it made me jealous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad