OT: Leafs Lounge 128: It's a beautiful day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
I've dated a South Asian girl before. It would be wrong of me to say that I won't ever date a South Asian girl again because of the experience I had with her but I'll have to be MUCH MORE UNDERSTANDING of what her family life is like. No BSing.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
I've dated a South Asian girl before. It would be wrong of me to say that I won't ever date a South Asian girl again because of the experience I had with her but I'll have to be MUCH MORE UNDERSTANDING of what her family life is like. No BSing.

Did you meet her family?

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County

Honestly, I don't think I could do it. the cultural differences for me would just be to much of an extreme for me. Not trying to offend anyone. I just haven't grown up with the multiculturalism. I'v been off in my own little ignorant world.

Baarle*

May 29, 2010
28.294194, -39.07612
Honestly, I don't think I could do it. the cultural differences for me would just be to much of an extreme for me. Not trying to offend anyone. I just haven't grown up with the multiculturalism. I'v been off in my own little ignorant world.
I don't think Perth County is too diverse either :laugh:
It's actually amusing going to Toronto with some people who haven't been out of the area much, some interesting remarks.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
Yes and she introduced me 'as a friend'. Was brutal and we broke up shortly after.

Your lucky she introduced you at all. My sister's ex boyfriend of 4 years wasn't even mentioned to my parents. Its not a knock on your relationship if the girl doesn't introduce you as her boyfriend, its just parents wouldn't approve. Espeially of a girl. They're usually fine if a guy has a girlfriend.

I know its unfair and the parents' mindsets are messed.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Your lucky she introduced you at all. My sister's ex boyfriend of 4 years wasn't even mentioned to my parents. Its not a knock on your relationship if the girl doesn't introduce you as her boyfriend, its just parents wouldn't approve. Espeially of a girl. They're usually fine if a guy has a girlfriend.

I know its unfair and the parents' mindsets are messed.

And he didn't find that weird? If I'm in a long-term relationship, I assume that there's a future and usually that future involves the parents. Otherwise it's just a waste of time. Did he not think so?

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
And he didn't find that weird? If I'm in a long-term relationship, I assume that there's a future and usually that future involves the parents. Otherwise it's just a waste of time. Did he not think so?

I think there's a reason he's known as the ex boyfriend :laugh:

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto

He didn't find it weird at all, he was brown :laugh: Just because the parents are involved doesn't mean there isn't a future. Most brown relationship's are held secret from parents until they want to get married. Then they involve parents. But you only introduce parents to "the one". Not to all the ones before. They frown upon more than 1 relationship.

Kyle93

Mar 30, 2012
He didn't find it weird at all, he was brown :laugh: Just because the parents are involved doesn't mean there isn't a future. Most brown relationship's are held secret from parents until they want to get married. Then they involve parents. But you only introduce parents to "the one". Not to all the ones before. They frown upon more than 1 relationship.

tbh sounds ****ing weird to me. I don't date but if I did I wouldn't want to be sneaking around all the time. What happens if the parents found out btw? Would they not permit the 2 to see eachother again?

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
Lol I didn't create this stupid logic. Its just the way it is and you can't change it. Its traditional ways and its hard to change the way immigrant parents have been brought up to think.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009

That's sketch. So parents are just in denial that their children are actually dating?

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
That's sketch. So parents are just in denial that their children are actually dating?

Yeah pretty much. Same goes for drinking (with girls). My dad knows on some level that my sisters drink and parents obviously they know that they'll be dating before marriage. They just don't want to admit it.

Apr 1, 2010
Firefly_class_ship.jpg

perfection

:rant:

What are you doing with a picture of my ride?

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Yeah pretty much. Same goes for drinking (with girls). My dad knows on some level that my sisters drink and parents obviously they know that they'll be dating before marriage. They just don't want to admit it.

Stuff like that is just seems bass ackwards to me. Life is worth living and having fun. Don't parents want their kids to look back on their lives knowing fully well they had a great time in their younger years? I don't go home on weekends to see my parents. I go home to have fun with my friends. If my parents had a problem with it, I would probably become that kid that defies their parents. But I guess that is where the cultural differences come into affect.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Bert hope all works out for you dude.

My dad is the most insecure piece of **** person I know.

He's jealous of my moms family being here in Canada and he's straight up telling her that right now :facepalm:

This is why you should never live with someone outside of your social class if you have insecurity issues. ****ing low class family ass wipe.

/rant

Sorry to hear about that dude. I sort of know what situation you are talking about.

Really hate that bs. I've been fortunate where I could communicate with my mom pretty openly. When I was dating I told my mom, she obviously didn't like it but she accepted it and knew who it was. It's definitely the way I'll go, not the arranged marriage talk for sure. It pissed me off when a girl who is, not gonna lie, damn good looking, a friend of mine, is automatically an ideal girl for me. The perfect desi girl in front of parents but in reality...not so much. I mean, I probably can't carry out a proper conversation with her but she's the ideal girl lol. It's so frustrating when those assumptions are made and that makes them marriage material. This obviously works vice versa as well. Another thing, if the father and mother's behaviour is great that means the son or daughter must be exactly the same and a twin or something!? The hell man lol. The shallowness that is the marriage selection is infuriating.

I know I hate that but I've also pointed it out in our film industry as well. It's sadly very visible when you compare to other countries' film standard. However that's another tale :P

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Its worse when the PMer also makes the title that 'You have received an infraction from HFBoards' (or whatever it it) just to mess with you :P

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
And I can't change, Even if I tried, Even if I wanted to
And I can't change, Even if I tried, Even if I wanted to

She keeps me warm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain