Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose due to goaltending but steal a point

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Just because our Leafs like to toss points away like garbage, doesn't mean Tampa has to.

However, it would be nice if other teams played them as hard as they play us. Teams visiting the SBA, or are on TV playing against our Leafs, tend to play above their pay levels, just because of it being our Leafs and the exposure involved. I'm sick of this phenomenon.
It won't change as long as the NHL has more Ontario born and raised players who want to put on a show for their friends and family. It is a fact so you must learn to deal with it.

Reactions: Al14 and Ziggdiezan

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
At least we got a point with the backup in. Sparks is 4-1-1 which I will take and run for a backup any day. Nylander looked rough as hell but that's to be expected. I don't expect Nylander to have a very good season, but will get better in the 2nd half.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Good comeback to steal a point .. After watching the first 2 periods I nearly switched channels to check in on the NFL game but stayed on hoping Leafs would roar back.

However every shot on the Leafs net made me nervous and its hard to have any confidence in Sparks at all.

When Auston hit those boards hard my heart skipped several beats and glad he was okay.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Good comeback to steal a point .. After watching the first 2 periods I nearly switched channels to check in on the NFL game but stayed on hoping Leafs would roar back.

However every shot on the Leafs net made me nervous and its hard to have any confidence in Sparks at all.

When Auston hit those boards hard my heart skipped several beats and glad he was okay.
We can't have other teams cheap shotting our top players like that.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

He may be feeling that dumping today or tomorrow. Looked nasty. If he is ok though it makes me a little more easy about how fragile he has seemed.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Need to see some of these guys under at least a new assistant coach imo before making this move but it's looking bad.

Also not sure why Ozhiganov gets such a long leash compared to what Borgman got. Though I really do like some of the good things Ozhiganov does and think he's already better than Zaitsev most of the time.

Agreed.

But I was asking from a contract perspective. Can Zaitsev's contract be buried in the minors some how?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I guess you have to give both Nylander and Sparks a bit of slack for being rusty, but I was not impressed with either of them.

I would much rather see Kapanen and Johnsson with Matthews, at least until Nylander shows he's ready.

I thought both Marner and Tavares were getting too fancy on the winning goal.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Detroit was pretty good defensively up until the 4-2 goal. They suffocated us and didn't give us many options other than throwing the puck into skates. Sparks was pretty bad, Willy looked like a guy who hasn't played a real hockey game in half a year, and we got a point on sheer talent as the Red Wings started to crumble.

We can and need to be so much better.

He's been terrific, and had a run of 7-8 games where he was among the absolutely best players on the ice every night.
fair enough. But was wondering if he has taken over a game. I think there's a bit of a difference no?

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Not a bad nights work: play 1 period, get 1 point.

Might be more efficient than playing 3 periods to get only 2 points....... :naughty:

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario

The only thing that gave anyone any confidence in McElhinney was one big save on Crosby. Even last year it took a long time before people were comfortable with McElhinney as the backup. He started 3-4-0. Then he went on a 8-1-1 run to end the season. (which included wins of 7-4 and 6-5 (SO))

Reactions: Leaffan1991

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
That goal from the point that didnt take any deflections was just horrible from sparks. He jumps at it and makes himself small.

The other goal whereby he stays on his knees for like 2 seconds allowing an easy snipe over his shoulder was also brutal.

Good goalies make saves you dont expect them to that keep you in a game. I never get that sense from Sparks and he has some of the worst rebound control I've ever seen in the NHL.

Can tell other teams know this so are just throwing pucks on net from everywhere.

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
Lucky to get one point out of it. Poor goaltending. No one showed up other than Kapanen & Johnsson. Nylander didn’t look out of place which shows how bad everyone else was. Lots of poor percentage plays the whole game. Babcock’s “We didn’t show up to play” routine is getting old after this many years. Still need a defenceman ad nauseam. But the silver lining of bad games like this is it may provide the kick in the backside to make the few changes needed.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
The only thing that gave anyone any confidence in McElhinney was one big save on Crosby. Even last year it took a long time before people were comfortable with McElhinney as the backup. He started 3-4-0. Then he went on a 8-1-1 run to end the season. (which included wins of 7-4 and 6-5 (SO))
Sometimes that's all it takes is 1 save. 1 save to get you into the playoffs (MAC). 1 save to win you a playoff round. 1 save to win you a Cup (Holty last year). Who cares if you make all the other saves if you can't save the Big One it does not matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad