Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose due to goaltending but steal a point

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
This was a complete team failure, I'm dumbfounded how people can watch this game and put the blame solely on goaltending
I haven't read all of the 500 plus posts but has anyone actually done that? Seems doubtful.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Detroit was pretty good defensively up until the 4-2 goal. They suffocated us and didn't give us many options other than throwing the puck into skates. Sparks was pretty bad, Willy looked like a guy who hasn't played a real hockey game in half a year, and we got a point on sheer talent as the Red Wings started to crumble.

We can and need to be so much better.

He's been terrific, and had a run of 7-8 games where he was among the absolutely best players on the ice every night.

I really don't think Detroit was that great defensively. I think we were just that poor with our breakouts. It took us until the 3rd to figure out the stretch pass isn't going to work with them just hanging 4 guys in the neutral zone. In the third, we got forwards to come back and take little passes at our blueline and enter the neutral zone with speed. Then we started to take over. It drives me nuts how often the stretch pass with all 3 forwards between the redline and their blueline doesn't work when teams sit back, yet we keep trying the whole game.

Tavares has been real good. I agree. Don't understand how this get gets any complaints. Been great in both ends.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Tough game. Losing a comeback is a big kick in the pants. Regarding Sparks; Dubas selected the significantly younger player coming off a Calder Cup. McBackup is having a big year and that hurts. I'm going to support Dubas on this one because it feels like a logical and rational decision. A side effect of this choice is volatile performances from Sparks. I hated seeing the loss; but I think we can afford more patience with our younger players.

Reactions: SprDaVE and Loosie

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Help with what? Explaining how your feelings are more important than the facts?
The facts are he stinks, if you want to use inflated stats because our team is elite, go for it. Let's see about my "feelings" this time next year.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Being at the game, the moment Matthews was barrelled into the boards, the crowd let out a collective gasp. I honestly thought he was at least concussed, if not worse, the way he went in and was lying on the ice. Surprised he played the rest of the game to be honest -- both based on the hit, and also that he wasn't pulled for concussion protocol. He didn't look any worse for wear though. Definitely wasn't his most dominant games.

A few other observations from the stands:

-- The first time Nylander hopped over the boards, he received mild cheers. Didn't hear a single boo.

-- Sparks looked horrible, although he made some solid saves as the game progressed.

-- Bernier was completely rattled once it became 4-3 and then 4-4. I truly thought the Leafs were going to pump a couple more behind because of it. As we found out when he was here, he is a pretty good goalie when he is on, but lacks the mental fortitude to fight through adversity.

-- Marner, in my eyes, is quite easily the most talented player on the Leafs.

-- Rielly's an absolute stud on D.

-- Athanasiou's wheels are insanely impressive. Larkin and Nyquist are really good players. That goal by Larkin in overtime was filthy.

Good on the boys to mount the comeback to gain the point. I came away impressed by Detroit this game -- they were better than I expected and didn't have real issues countering the Leafs talent/speed, and it felt like they blocked EVERYTHING.

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010
Goaltending? That was like the 5th thing wrong with this team last night.

Debatable as it was the first thing that went wrong.

Leafs came out flying, scored first goal, had the momentum then a quick soft goal 30 seconds later sucked the energy out of the team and crowd. Momentum turned at that point.

Reactions: Zizzzzy

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Only our GM likes him. Not Babcock or the players. He is not now an NHL caliber goalie. His save selection is the worse in the League. Switch goalies last night and we win for fun.
or maybe out work Andersen and hes tired AF for the game saturday against Boston. I had a feeling Sparks would start last night over Andersen against a young up and coming team like Detroit and they would start Andersen against Boston. Cant start Andersen every night, I wish people would figure that **** out.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Sarcasm, he's trash.
trash in a 6-0 Shut out win against Philly his last game too? Hes won his last two starts.

Maybe start ****ing on the rest of the team in front of him. They come and play a good 60+ minute game against Buffalo on the road and come home and played like they've never picked up a hockey stick for two periods.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al14
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad