didnt watch the game but here

wings
scoring chances 27
high danger scoring chances 18

leafs
scoring chances 24
high danger scoring chances 10

looks like we left our goalie to dry.

Hard to make sense of the stats sometimes though.

The wings best period for HD chances was the third period almost doubling our chances 9-5.

Thought it was the other way around for some reason.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Detroit was pretty good defensively up until the 4-2 goal. They suffocated us and didn't give us many options other than throwing the puck into skates. Sparks was pretty bad, Willy looked like a guy who hasn't played a real hockey game in half a year, and we got a point on sheer talent as the Red Wings started to crumble.

We can and need to be so much better.

He's been terrific, and had a run of 7-8 games where he was among the absolutely best players on the ice.

The neutral zone trap continues to be Babcock's nemesis, he can't figure it out. At least 4 our our 7 loses this year have been as a result of teams clogging up the neutral zone and feasting off turnovers in the neutral zone. Even then we are still 20-7-1 (or is it 20-6-1?).

As a casual observer it seemed that the flaw in clogging the neutral zone is it is only successful if all 5 players play it patiently, I noticed last night when the Leafs started to lay off the attack, attack, attack mode the Red Wings would come into the Leafs zone ,which broke the neutral trap and that would open the ice up. I don't think its that simple but if you continue to do the same thing over and over again and get the same poor results, don;t you have to try a different strategy than attack, attack, attack?

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Sparks made some good saves, but also let in 2 stinkers.

We are near the bottom of the league if Andy goes down for any real time and Sparks picks up the lead.

Or with consistent playing time Sparks gets better. Sparks is a backup. He's not a starting goaltender. He's also been inconsistent. He's 4-1-1 with a .912 sv% and a 2.95 GAA. Yes it's a small sample size. He's had 2 good games (1 GA total) and 3 bad games (16 GA total) (and the team outscored one bad game, and nearly outscored a 2nd). But those number are about average for a backup (if not slightly better than average)

I'm not ready to give up on him. Will we be in trouble if Andersen goes down? Of course. Take away anyone's starter and they are in trouble.

Tampa's backup has worse numbers (3.07 GAA, .903 SV%), but is 12-4, assuming again this is because Tampa outscores their issues.

Antti Niemi, who was crap most of the last two years until he played well down the stretch for Montreal that they kept him (he was a waiver wire pickup twice last year) is 4-2-1 with 3.61 GAA and .893 SV%

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Learning experience. Be better next time. We lost to a team that doesn’t matter this year. And we still snagged a point out of it after being down 4-1.

All in all, not the worst thing.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Do you give him a hug for getting a shutout? Hes done what a backup is supposed to do. 4-1-1. Ill take that record. So he sucked this game. **** ****ing happens.

You must be a raging parent if you have kids. God forbid they don't score a hatty. No timbits for you.

Ohhh he shut out the crappy Flyers, my neighbors dog could have shut that crappy team out. He beat LA and the Ducks too, horrible crappy teams.

The guy currently is hot garbage, simple as that. One day he might become the greatest goalie in the history of goalies but right now, he is horrible. He fights the puck on virtually every shot, he swings/stabs at the puck like its a wasp buzzing around his body. Who honestly didn't think that as soon as it went into OT that the Leafs would lose because it was Sparks in net and not Andersen? Sparks knew they were going to lose.

Expecting a goalie to stop a puck at a rate better than 0.844 , is not like expecting a hatty from a kid. It's more like expecting him to NOT put his jockstrap over his face when getting dressed, ya know the fundamentals of hockey, things we learned when we were 4 years old. Shoulder pads go under the jersey, tape goes on over your socks and shin pads not over your eyes, skates go on after you get your socks on. Why do I get the impression you just learned three new things about getting dressed that you never knew?

You bribe your kids with Timbits/food? Great parenting there buddy, my kids played sports for the love of the game and competing, I never had to bribe them. Dude what values are you teaching your kids? Sounds like something a Senators fan would do to his kids... if you come to the Sens game I'll buy you Timbits? McDonalds? an iPod?

Last edited:

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Ohhh he shut out the crappy Flyers, my neighbors dog could have shut that crappy team out. He beat LA and the Ducks too, horrible crappy teams.

The guy currently is hot garbage, simple as that. One day he might become the greatest goalie in the history of goalies but right now, he is horrible. He fights the puck on virtually every shot, he swings/stabs at the puck like its a wasp buzzing around his body. Who honestly didn't think that as soon as it went into OT that the Leafs would lose because it was Sparks in net and not Andersen?

Expecting a goalie to stop a puck at a rate better than 0.844 , is not like expecting a hatty from a kid. It's more like expecting him to NOT put his jockstrap over his face when getting dressed, ya know the fundamentals of hockey, things we learned when we were 4 years old. Shoulder pads go under the jersey, tape goes on over your socks and shin pads not over your eyes, skates go on after you get your socks on. Why do I get the impression you just learned three new things about getting dressed that you never knew?

You bribe your kids with Timbits/food? Great parenting there buddy, my kids played sports for the love of the game and competing, I never had to bribe them. Dude what values are you teaching your kids? Sounds like something a Senators fan would do to his kids... if you come to the Sens game I'll buy you Timbits? McDonalds? an iPod?

He is though. Did he last night? Nope. But overall he is stopping the puck at a .912 rate.

deltamachine

Mar 30, 2013
Boy did we steal an undeserved point tonight.

I guess Nylander needs a bit more practice :)

edit: I don't think Sparks was as bad as people let on. Softies earlier in the game, but the team in front of him was in LaLaLand most of the first two periods. He looked good in 3rd and OT periods, shame he didn't save that breakaway.

That IS the reason why he's bad. There's nothing more deflating than letting in softies. He's been doing it consistently ala Reimer. Reimer is more polished but they are of the same mold. Dubas needs to address this mistake and move on.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Nothing surprising here the stats represented the game. The Leafs have been getting outplayed in many games recently but winning with great goaltending. Last night we got below average goaltending and lost. Clearly it was a mistake to throw Willy out there to wolves like that. I wonder if Babs did it on purpose. Bad coaching decision. And then he staples him to the bench to glorify it. Willy needs a good week of practice with team to get his legs and timing back. It was fun to see him back but not like that. F for Babs.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
A good performance in net. ;)

Also on the wing.

It's possible (and we've seen this with many NHLers) that he may never get going this season. He's out of sync, out of shape, out of practice and for some players they never recover.

Yes, there is a whole gamut of possibilities, but based on how he played last night ... I don't see a problem.

Running out of gas after a couple practices?

If that is your concern then it's okay he'll be fine.

Anyway it isn't like you're paying his salary. I checked, your money is going to Kessel. :popcorn:

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Funny in 3 starts Sparks has given up 5, 5, and 6 goals...

In the other 3 starts it’s been 1, 1, and 0 goals

His next start should actually be against Detroit on the 22nd

Reactions: Loosie

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Bad blind giveaway by Tavares in OT for their goal.

Those weak shots from the point scoring twice were very painful to watch.

Loser point was generous.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Funny in 3 starts Sparks has given up 5, 5, and 6 goals...

In the other 3 starts it’s been 1, 1, and 0 goals

His next start should actually be against Detroit on the 22nd

Too bad, I just don't think he's got it. Maybe the kid in junior will work out long term, in the short term they may have to pick up someone on waivers or on a minor league contract.

They must see something in him though.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Too bad, I just don't think he's got it. Maybe the kid in junior will work out long term, in the short term they may have to pick up someone on waivers or on a minor league contract.

They must see something in him though.
Only our GM likes him. Not Babcock or the players. He is not now an NHL caliber goalie. His save selection is the worse in the League. Switch goalies last night and we win for fun.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Only our GM likes him. Not Babcock or the players. He is not now an NHL caliber goalie. His save selection is the worse in the League. Switch goalies last night and we win for fun.
Now we get to see if Kyle is stubborn or pragmatic. His save percentage is like a blanket so you don't have to see the boogeyman.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I don't think the Leafs were lazy or unmotivated like many said. The Wings blocked around 30 shots versus the Leafs' 12. Many of those 30 we're from around the slot area, not just low-percentage point shots..

Sounds like a great way to beat the Leafs in the playoffs.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Be nice if Tampa could lose the odd game.
Just because our Leafs like to toss points away like garbage, doesn't mean Tampa has to.

However, it would be nice if other teams played them as hard as they play us. Teams visiting the SBA, or are on TV playing against our Leafs, tend to play above their pay levels, just because of it being our Leafs and the exposure involved. I'm sick of this phenomenon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad