Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose due to goaltending but steal a point

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
or maybe out work Andersen and hes tired AF for the game saturday against Boston. I had a feeling Sparks would start last night over Andersen against a young up and coming team like Detroit and they would start Andersen against Boston. Cant start Andersen every night, I wish people would figure that **** out.

When down 4-1, I thought to myself that Babcock better not pull him and insert Andersen. Even if the score became 7-1, I'd have wanted Sparks to eat it so Andersen could have a full game off. These breaks throughout the season are much needed.

Reactions: nofehr and Sniper99

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
The Leafs are better off instead of paying Sparks to invest in medical technology that could let Andersen play every game. Sparks is either fine or a tragic tire fire. Certainly his cocky comments after his shutout came back to bite him. Has to show up to play every single time he's put in the net. At least he'll have a couple weeks to get ready for his next shot.

He's not the only thing that went wrong. But he was certainly where it went wrong first. No one can feel too proud of themselves. Need to get it together and show up for the next game. Having a great goalie in net will help for the next one, but need more than just him to be there.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Trade Willy for Parayko, probably have to wait for July 2nd. Sign Kapanen and Johnsson to long-term deals now for cheap.

Reactions: Al14

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Yeah that def should have been a penalty.

things I didnt like about the game

• goaltending (obvious)
  • Defense - they were giving away puck like it was Halloween candy
  • PP - Rielly single handedly ruined 2 PP opportunities by trying to do all by himself
  • Brown over Nylander - Why did Brown play over Nylander when we were trailing is beyond me
my biggest gripe about the game is that kronwall boards Matthews with a dangerous hit and no one in the blue and white stands up or has the balls to stand up for his team mate. :shakehead

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Zaitsev has one of the worst first passes I’ve ever seen. Guy thinks he’s Lidstrom and can thread these 30 feet passes, but he missed by a mile and usually results in a neutral zone turnover or icing, terrible Russian defenceman.

Reactions: Slyfox

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Im not too sure about that. He's kinda having a down year, UFA rental, and flyers are tanking too. seems like a perfect mix for a quality trade.

At minimum I think Philly gets a 1st plus good prospect for him. As an example 1st + Liljegren.

As a free agent I bet his total contract value exceeds 36m, which is very rich for a player of his age and skill level.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I haven't watched the Marlies at all but what about Grundstrom or Marchment? Aren't both of these guys basically what we are talking about? I realize they're young & need some experience but how far away are they?

Good chance both will be on the team next year as two or three forward positions maybe up for grabs. But they'll have competition, as there are 2-3 other marlies forward prospects who will be fighting for those spots as well. Good times!

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
At minimum I think Philly gets a 1st plus good prospect for him. As an example 1st + Liljegren.

As a free agent I bet his total contract value exceeds 36m, which is very rich for a player of his age and skill level.
I'd give a 1st in a heartbeat for him, have to be a different prospect though.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

• goaltending (obvious)
  • PP - Rielly single handedly ruined 2 PP opportunities by trying to do all by himself
  • Brown over Nylander - Why did Brown play over Nylander when we were trailing is beyond me
my biggest gripe about the game is that kronwall boards Matthews with a dangerous hit and no one in the blue and white stands up or has the balls to stand up for his team mate. :shakehead

Nylander was gassed... team scored 3 goals with him on the bench and lost in OT. I don’t think it’s ok to argue that X player shouldn’t have played over Nylander, considering the outcome.

Reactions: Lauro

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
This was a complete team failure, I'm dumbfounded how people can watch this game and put the blame solely on goaltending

The team was crap for 2 periods. That being said, I have no doubt in my mind whatsoever that we still win that game in regulation if Freddy was in net.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
After being an early season bottom feeder, Detroit has been playing same very good hockey.

Sometimes having the injuries pile up a bit actually helps you as those vets you have been playing may not be better than the kids you bring up.

Recently have 2 wins over the Bruins, ot win over us, shoot out loss to Tampa and a real tough even game against the Avs decided by an empty net goal late.

I think too many are stuck in the past expecting one team should always beat another when a combination of modern systems and cap imposed parity means teams are closer than ever.

Who's the last place team in the NHL and considered the worst team right now?

The Kings......They have 10 wins! The Sharks are in 12th place overall and only have 4 more wins than the Kings.

There are no more easy games in the NHL. They don't exist anymore.

Reactions: Lauro

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Zaitsev has one of the worst first passes I’ve ever seen. Guy thinks he’s Lidstrom and can thread these 30 feet passes, but he missed by a mile and usually results in a neutral zone turnover or icing, terrible Russian defenceman.
He's just playing the system put in place.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012

• goaltending (obvious)

It didn't look like boarding to me, as it happened 4 feet away from the boards. They hit shoulder to shoulder but Matthews was off-balance because he decided to reach for the puck with his right hand/arm. If anything, it should have been a mere interference call, but refs went with boarding call. It wasn't dirty, it was unfortunate, and lucky for all Matthews was fine.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009

Zaitsev looks like Lidstrom relative to Oz. You can be wide open, he can be wide open...and he still can't make the pass.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Zaitsev looks like Lidstrom relative to Oz. You can be wide open, he can be wide open...and he still can't make the pass.

Russian dman are awful. Usually why they can never win anything internationally. Russian forwards are absolutely lethal but I can’t stand them as dmen.

There’s been like what a few good ones in the last 20+ years..? Markov and I guess Provorov is good these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->