Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 5-3 | Get Ceci Off This Team Yesterday | #PrayForAndersen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Yup.........that's my point.

I'm not trying to put down Keefe as I think he's been doing some great things, but the team is still wildly inconsistent.
It’s a work in progress.
The goal is to put a team together that can get it done. Done through injury, adversity and crucial moments.

Lou out - Dubas in
Babcock out - Keefe in
Support players Kadri/Gardiner/Brown/etc. rotated out.
Offseason most of D being rotated out.
One year left on Andersen. Commit or not? Create a better tandem or hope on one guy paid higher.
Then you have the sum of the core.

Changes have been made on the some of the above.

Blue Nate

Sep 27, 2017
St Catharines
Watched 1st., then watched Biggest Little Farm, and had my son give me the low down.

So sounds like Ceci, Hutchinson and marner were the goats?

Heard Matthews missed on open net, off the post?

Any other blame to be shared?
Dermott wasn't good either. Bad read after bad read.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Dermott wasn't good either. Bad read after bad read.

I expected more from Dermott when he first came up I thought he showed anticipation and made good decisions, but haven't seen a tonne of progress.

Maybe 3rd. pairing defender is his ceiling?

From everything I've been reading recently, Liljegren might be ready for the next challenge.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Watched 1st., then watched Biggest Little Farm, and had my son give me the low down.

So sounds like Ceci, Hutchinson and marner were the goats?

Heard Matthews missed on open net, off the post?

Any other blame to be shared?

Club still reeling from Babcock being mean! Willie overpaid :sarcasm:

Reactions: Ignatius Reilly

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
It’s a work in progress.
The goal is to put a team together that can get it done. Done through injury, adversity and crucial moments.

Agreed............I'm playing Don Quixote to the posters that think this is a serious cup contender and once Babcock was removed, it was going to be all sunshine and rainbows.

Blue Nate

Sep 27, 2017
St Catharines
The only thing that I would put on Keefe is not calling a timeout after the 3-2 goal which has been is calling card every time the Leafs look like they have taken a step back in play. Taking a timeout at that time may have salvaged the game.

But he prepared his team they totally outplayed Florida for 51 minutes of the game. The second period was probably the best period of hockey the Leafs have played in a very long time. Marner and Ceci cost us the game, bonehead mistakes. Marner should have been nailed to the bench. Why is it that Nylander or Kapanen can be when they don't backcheck or play hard for 60 minutes but Marner get away with things like that. He should have been nailed to the bench along with Ceci after the 3-2 and 3-3 goals.

Call a timeout and tell both guys to sit down for the rest of the game.
Ya Marner had one of his sloppy games. The sequence on the empty net goal was so bad I dont' who to blame. Barrie for the awkward drop pass? Mitch for f***ing it up? Or Auston for skating shoulder to shoulder with Marner for no particular reason?

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Matthews missing a wide open he literally scores probably 99% of the time, compounded with a few fairly garbage goals by Florida. Amazing how a couple breaks can decide a game. Leafs certainly deserved the win but games like this happen. As predicted a lot of overreactions
A few more overreactions, like this game, and, our Leafs miss the playoffs!

Blue Nate

Sep 27, 2017
St Catharines
I expected more from Dermott when he first came up I thought he showed anticipation and made good decisions, but haven't seen a tonne of progress.

Maybe 3rd. pairing defender is his ceiling?

From everything I've been reading recently, Liljegren might be ready for the next challenge.
Its disheartening that he's been given multiple opportunities to take the next step and hasn't shown that he's anything more than a #5 dman.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Feels like foreshadowing how the season will end, look good but find a way to beat themselves anyway.

ICBM

Apr 8, 2009
Bobrovsky 10 mil no thanks
O and he has sucked this yr.

Florida can make the playoffs this year. They could not without him. Trade Andy together with his pal Mo, sign competent goalkeeper (who actually won playoff series), leave Hainsey, play Sandin with him. And suddenly you have a better team.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Agreed............I'm playing Don Quixote to the posters that think this is a serious cup contender and once Babcock was removed, it was going to be all sunshine and rainbows.

Should do a poll, how many thought this young team with at times iffy goaltending, and iffy defense with Scotty Bowman coaching was a Cup contender?

I thought they were definitely underperforming with Babcock, but I think Babcock was overrated due to landing in ideal situations. I never saw where he took a professional team through a rebuilding phase to being a winner.

Lainehasaweirdface

May 14, 2015
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the options were to go to arbitration or qualify him, so they could've at least got him cheaper if they won arbitration or walked away if he won his arbitration case
Also to add on to him already being qualified, I think the lowest he could have gotten in arb was $4.3m.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Florida can make the playoffs this year. They could not without him. Trade Andy together with his pal Mo, sign competent goalkeeper (who actually won playoff series), leave Hainsey, play Sandin with him. And suddenly you have a better team.

It's all so easy

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Keefe is only responsible when they win. :laugh:

OMG he put 4 forwards out in OT the other night after all.

I'm confused what you're talking about now.

You said it was on Keefe that they lost. Now do you think it's completely on Keefe if they win ?

Or is Keefe just a scapegoat for bad play from 2-3 players ?

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
I’m usually in the minority so I’m used to it but I feel like besides last game(he was trash) ceci has been ok this year. I just don’t like him at 4.5$ and I don’t like him in our top 4. If he was replacing marincin I’d be happy having him but unfortunately we can’t afford that.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I'm confused what you're talking about now.

You said it was on Keefe that they lost. Now do you think it's completely on Keefe if they win ?

Or is Keefe just a scapegoat for bad play from 2-3 players ?

I'm saying that Babcock was not sole issue was he was here, and Keefe is not a miracle worker that has solved all the issues.

Keefe >>> Babcock (but there seems to some things he hasn't been able to fix.)

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Thread The Needle

I have no strong feelings one way or the other.
Nov 28, 2016
Detroit
One thing that I am surprised about is that Keefe didn't call a timeout after the 3-2 goal. Not sure if the Leafs had a timeout left, but he did do that against Nashville or Dallas I think and it righted the ship. He might've decided to give the players a chance to regroup on their own and it makes sense if he does, but they didn't so f*** Ceci etc.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Should do a poll, how many thought this young team with at times iffy goaltending, and iffy defense with Scotty Bowman coaching was a Cup contender?

I suppose you missed the hundreds of posts outlining that the only reason they lost in the first round was because of coaching. :laugh:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Being a Leaf fan can be hard and often doesn't seem fair. :(

Only a Leafland would you see the Panthers missing their best player Sasha Barkov, and then lose to a team when a 4th line dman turned forward Mark Pysyk scores a hattrick in his absence.

Which in turn knocks them from 3rd in the Atlantic to out of the playoffs in the process.

Reactions: definedMF
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad