Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 5-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cpt Maple Leaf

Jul 19, 2009
Not a fun game to watch. Big Save Dave solid again, weird goal off of an atrocious play by Marner. Trying to pass to the center when there is Ehlers already there? Please splain Mitchell. Robertson looks promising, gally and jt looked good, everyone else, meh.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Thinking about this from a coaching perspective, I would say the losing streak probably started with the Ottawa game on Saturday night.

The Leafs won the game, Matthews got his 4 point hat trick, Campbell set the record, the Leafs made their trades on Monday and the media and fanbase were all abuzz, but the bad omens were all there.

Giving up the 2-0 lead, the Formenton goal stripping Rielly on the struggling PP, Ottawa taking a 3-2 lead, basically coming down to a EN GWG. If not for a 4th string goalie getting exposed and some fun track meet heroics by the Matthews and Marner that could have been a disaster. That goal Marner scored was huge but I remember thinking once he gets a taste for the heroics, things often go a little sideways after for him chasing the big goals and playing more sloppily.

A lot of the issues we saw that night have really been exposed this week.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
After seeing the replays a few times the goaltending really let us down. The Scheifele breakaway was the only half decent goal IMO.

Reactions: LeafsRus

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Lmao
Why , so I can get ambushed by “ he’s so fast , he’s so tall , his neck is so long , great zone entries , long stick , beautiful skater , what do you expect ? Blah blah blah blah
Also wtf did Kerfoot do ? Or Brooks
Man what a chance to prove yourself and nothing nada zilch

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Idk what everyone saw with robertson. He was having a hard time adjusting to the big-bodies against him. He was bumbling passes, couldn't make a pass. He was all over the place (not in a good way). He has an nhl caliber shot though. Pencilling him in the top-six was grandoise. He should be a marlie next year. He should be taking notes from kerfoot on how to play as a small nhler.

Speaking of kerfoot, he gets a ton of flak but the dude is one of 2 players that can play up the line-up without looking lost. I don't mind him at all.
He's a smaller player who wins battles, gets on the forecheck quick and has a great release.

I don't see a star, but he's a NHL ready now and doesn't look out of place

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Hot take...

The Jets will surpass the Leafs and win the North division. They're a heavier, more physical, offensively deeper team, backstopped by much better and most consistant goaltending.

Jets take the division, IMO.
With the leafs non existent PP and untested goaltending you are probably right. We also still lack that number one dman. Hopefully the leafs can dig deep and figure it out.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
We been cool. Still winning a lot. The powerplay gots to get better. With tavares, the key, it has a chance. SUCKAS.

Wonder if we play saturday vs canucks. ITS NOT BEEN CANCELLED YET. Might be, so maybe monday. f***in fools.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Goaltending let us down tonight, not going to win many games with 4 goals allowed on 23 shots. (Not that we played very well tonight anyways). Powerplay continues to be garbage, didn't expect much out of it when our 2nd unit has Jumbo Joe, and Wayne Simmonds on it.

In saying that, its become painfully obvious that both Jumbo and Wayne need to be the ones coming out of the lineup when Nylander and Foligno are available to us. Jumbo is slow, can't make a play and can't shoot the puck while Wanye brings some sort of forecheck I don't think it makes up for everything he can't do, the puck dies on his stick.

Reactions: LeafsRus

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Hot take...

The Jets will surpass the Leafs and win the North division. They're a heavier, more physical, offensively deeper team, backstopped by much better and most consistant goaltending.

Jets take the division, IMO.

Possible, but I believe in the Leafs taking it.
They definitely have the better goaltending. Most of the rest of what you wrote is pretty highly debatable.

We've been better than them in most of the games we've played them this season and tonight's lineup doesn't include Foligno, Matthews, and Nylander. That's a lot of quality missing from our forward group. Both offensively and defensively

And Winnipeg doesn't really all that physical or heavy.

Reactions: LFCTML

klmdg

Feb 18, 2016
Lmao
Why , do I can get ambushed by “ he’s so fast , he’s so tall , his neck is so long , great zone entries , long stick , beautiful skater , what do you expect ? Blah blah blah blah
Also wtf did Kerfoot do ? Or Brooks
Man what a chance to prove yourself and nothing nada zilch

His neck is impressively long, can't deny it

NK94

Feb 5, 2019
With the cancelled Canucks games, as usual the leafs time their skid perfectly for leafs nation to have a FULL WEEK of panic attack.

Nice.
This thread is already a colossal panic attack mixed in with overreactions.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
with the new guys coming in some guys are playing like they are out of the lineup already..engvall and thornton are providing less than nothing. oh well, that PP is killing our mojo mainly, once we sort it out we should be good again.

also muzzin was falling all over himself tonight from what i saw, his worst game in a while.

lets hope this is a hiccup from soup though, because 3 straight games hes been pretty bad :(

Reactions: Cpt Maple Leaf

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
The Leafs will win the next two and all you guys freaking out will feel great. It's a long season, some slides are expected. Take it in stride and move on.

Reactions: LeafGrief
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad