Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 5-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Played like shit, but the overreactions in here are priceless. Move on, take the two points on Saturday. We're the best team in this division by a mile, and it's time to remind people why.

I'm sorry but these "best by far" takes are just ridiculous. The Jets have played the Leafs really well this year. The series is what, 4-3 Leafs, with a couple convincing wins for the Jets?

Couple that with their superior size, scoring depth and goaltending, I think Leafs fans are deeply misleading themselves if they think Toronto a lot better than Winnipeg.

2 Slick

Oct 23, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Winnipeg was the superior team all game long. Their special teams were better than Toronto's, better hits, plays, defense, goaltending, they were the better team in every facet tonight.

It's embarrassing to watch a team go 1 and 41 in their last 16 games. That's something even bottom feeding teams don't go through. Toronto had a 5 on 3 powerplay for over a minute and couldn't even manage to set it up, Winnipeg looked like they were the ones on the powerplay.

Winnipeg scores less than 10 seconds into their powerplay.

Campbell was bad for his third game in a row. He was about as bad as you can get tonight. Just... no confidence, no movement in net, he looked completely lost out there. Definitely not the go to guy, that will be Andersen in the playoffs.

Rest of the season for the most part doesn't matter. They keep playing like this and their special teams will get them eliminated in the first round. They need better goaltending from Andersen when he gets back or it's lights out.

I have zero confidence in Andersen this season and even moreso in the playoffs. Campbell isn't making me comfortable either. I know it's just 3 games in a row, but their special teams have been the worst I've ever seen in my life over the last 16 games. 1 for their last 41... that's not just bad, that's embarrassingly bad. Have some pride and do your freaking jobs or fire the assistance coach if he can't work out anything for them. They look lost out there on the powerplay.

Meh, just venting, but damn, this team can make you go high and low so quickly. They do it every year.

Reactions: RaFe and LeafsRus

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I dunno, love the Leafs but I find they are too inconsistent, or consistently inconsistent I guess. Also, the gap between their good and bad has severely expanded recently. Not sure true winning teams have that much of a gap... They have time to correct it, but they are trending the other way. If they go into the playoffs playing like this, even if they get a few wins it's going to be a short post season.

I find they work hard as a team, but they also make a lot of lazy dumb decisions that play into the other team gaining momentum from doing absolutely nothing.

I watch quite a few games of other teams and I don't see other teams make it so easy on their opponents.

Yes, a few injuries or missing players but that should be something a true contender can overcome. We seem to use it as an excuse.

NK94

Feb 5, 2019
Possible, but I believe in the Leafs taking it.
They definitely have the better goaltending. Most of the rest of what you wrote is pretty highly debatable.

We've been better than them in most of the games we've played them this season and tonight's lineup doesn't include Foligno, Matthews, and Nylander. That's a lot of quality missing from our forward group. Both offensively and defensively

And Winnipeg doesn't really all that physical or heavy.
Winnipeg needs a top 4 D, Jordie Benn isn’t that.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Feels bad man.

Jets closing the gap. Hopefully Matthews and Nylander are back asap.

Should be interesting what they do until their next game. 1/40 is simply unacceptable. To say it's all between the ears is ludicrous.

Practice, practice, more practice boys.

I'm not happy how the Leafs have looked when teams trap them. It is definitely concerning. There are many ways to beat it, and I'm hoping Foligno and Nash will definitely help along with a Matthews and Nylander.

Clean up is in order. Those 2on1's - gross.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Kerfoot, Robertson, Tavares and Hyman played well for the forwards.

Marner had some great Junior B moves.

Agreed. Nick Robertson is what, 5'8"? He was really buzzing and forechecking hard and willing to go to the dirty areas. Contrast that with Marner making soft Junior B moves against pros and I just want to understand if this is from a lack of respect for the opposition or if he really thinks those are the plays he should be making out there.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
This powerplay will be the reason we lose in the playoffs

Also, that entire Thornton-Engvall-Simmonds line can sit. Can't wait till Will/Matthews/Foligno are in
I fully expect 2 of them out for playoffs. There's no way Thornton or Engvall dress. Simmonds may even be in tough

Reactions: leafsfan5

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Hot take...

The Jets will surpass the Leafs and win the North division. They're a heavier, more physical, offensively deeper team, backstopped by much better and most consistant goaltending.

Jets take the division, IMO.

Don’t see this as a hot take in the sense that it’s very possible..leafs are still super unpredictable. When I think their D is pretty solid, they come out and play horrendous. Goaltending hot...then cold. And the PP, don’t get me started, I don’t see any serious contender struggling like that.

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
1 goal in 40 tries on the PP is it? About 80 minutes give or take? 1 goal in 4 periods of 5 on 4.

We score about 3 times as much 5 on 5 as when we're 5 on 4 for the past 80 minutes of PP.

Malhotra should be fired.

Literally anybody or nobody at all would have probably gotten better results. That futility seems impossible without coaching actively hurting it.

Azail

Oct 11, 2017
1 goal in 40 tries on the PP is it? About 80 minutes give or take? 1 goal in 4 periods of 5 on 4.

We score about 3 times as much 5 on 5 as when we're 5 on 4 for the past 80 minutes of PP.

Malhotra should be fired.
Not only this, in that same time frame, we have given up 3 SHG. We are being outscored on our PP by the other team... LOL

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Nobody has played great. But Galchenyuk hasn't looked bad at all.

You know I read all of your posts and have a lot of respect for you. You know your stuff. But it's so condescending when you just dismissed my post as wrong with your "matter of fact" tone. Just because you say "actually" in your post doesn't make it fact. You can throw stats at me all night. But Galchenyuk has been doing all kinds of things right tonight. I'll just leave it at that because like I said I respect you and I'll continue to enjoy your posts.

I am sorry that my tone comes off that way. I can see where my statement could come off as dismissive but that was not my intention. A lot of people have been using "eye-test" to spew BS around the board and I think being dismissive has just become a default at times recently even when I do not want to be.

My point was simply that I did not think Galchenyuk (or Marner) had a great game today. A few good plays, but struggled for much of the game and their numbers were not good today either. Both have been better.

You can see things differently, and I fully respect that if you've got the evidence to back it up, but just know that I was not trying to be dismissive... just voicing my disagreement.

Reactions: Griffin76

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Feels bad man.

Jets closing the gap. Hopefully Matthews and Nylander are back asap.

Should be interesting what they do until their next game. 1/40 is simply unacceptable. To say it's all between the ears is ludicrous.

Practice, practice, more practice boys.

I'm not happy how the Leafs have looked when teams trap them. It is definitely concerning. There are many ways to beat it, and I'm hoping Foligno and Nash will definitely help along with a Matthews and Nylander.

Clean up is in order. Those 2on1's - gross.

Whenever Holl presses for offense, bad things happen. He and Muzzin are a good defensive pair but they should really stay in their lane and not be trying to generate offense, pinching or rushing.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Possible, but I believe in the Leafs taking it.
They definitely have the better goaltending. Most of the rest of what you wrote is pretty highly debatable.

We've been better than them in most of the games we've played them this season and tonight's lineup doesn't include Foligno, Matthews, and Nylander. That's a lot of quality missing from our forward group. Both offensively and defensively

And Winnipeg doesn't really all that physical or heavy.

We'll have our answer soon enough. My money is on the Jets. They're less fragile in so many ways, IMO. They don't have the upside that Toronto has, but I trust them to be a similar team nightly.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
The summer wind came blowin' in from across the sea
It lingered there, to touch your hair and walk with me
All summer long we sang a song and then we strolled that golden sand
Two sweethearts and the summer wind

Like painted kites, those days and nights they went flyin' by
The world was new beneath a blue umbrella sky
Then softer than a piper man, one day it called to you
I lost you, I lost you to the summer wind

Old Blue Eyes?

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Not a fun game to watch. Big Save Dave solid again, weird goal off of an atrocious play by Marner. Trying to pass to the center when there is Ehlers already there? Please splain Mitchell. Robertson looks promising, gally and jt looked good, everyone else, meh.
I thought Mikheyev was flying around out there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->