Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 4-3 In OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
I wish we could bring back 2003-04 Gary Roberts to this team. Need more guys like him on this team, He'd play a full 60 mins and wouldnt screw around. Got too many snowflakes on this team.

Reactions: supermann_98

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
We didn't get thoroughly outplayed, and we didn't have a 4-0 lead. Also, nobody is blaming everything on the goalie, but he did not play very well last night, and that's on him. And as good as Andersen might have played before that, it's just a fact that he is being outplayed by the opposing goaltender over this series.

It seems that some expect 60 minutes of full non-stop domination where the other team gets zero chances. That's not realistic. Columbus pushed back, like all teams do. That shouldn't instantly mean 4 goals against. That doesn't mean weak goals from halfway up the side boards. The team in front of Andersen played well enough for the win last night.

You mean the one-timer shot from the face-off dot that hit a stick and barely trickled through? Even if we count that as a "bad goal", that's the only one that could be remotely considered that. The rest of the goals he has allowed are:

1. Deflection in the slot from Matthews.
2. Breakaway by Tavares.
3. Deflection off defender standing in front.
4. Nylander on the PP alone in front, with a nice deke.

This while Columbus' goalies have faced more and better shots/chances than Andersen. The goaltending for Columbus is saving the goals they shouldn't, and they aren't letting in the bad goals that Andersen is, and as much as you want to blame everybody else, and as well as Andersen has played outside of that, that's the difference in the series right now.

So Tavares scores on a breakaway and it's not on the goalie but PLD scores on a breakaway and Andersen is the reason we lost. Got it.

You win the cup by winning series. St. Louis got 7 of their 8 divisional playoff wins by 1 goal. Regardless of fault/blame, who played well earlier in the game, who made mistakes leading to chances, who made a big save in the second, if Binnington let's in 1 or 2 more 50/50 in the 3rd/OT a championship quality team is out in the 1st round It's not his fault per se, but it's the difference between 1st round exit and cup. This is the 3rd straight year where it's looking like Freddy doesn't have that 1-2 extra 50/50 saves when we need them the most. In a cap world we're never going to be good enough to not need those saves, because no one is.

But, what we say about the capitals/blues as teams applies to goalies as well. You're a loser that can't win until you do. Here's hoping that Freddy shows that he can, and the rest of the team follows his lead.

Goalie plays amazing, has a .948 SV% and you point to a breakaway that should never have been allowed in the first place and blame the goalie.

You're a very good poster IMO, I find myself agreeing with you most of the time but we're not even close on this one. Respectfully, agree to disagree, I don't think there's much else to say here.

RomanianLeafs

Apr 14, 2009
Arad
Woke up to go to the bathroom and saw that we have a 3 1 lead, i was so upset i couldnt stayed up to watch the game..decided to go back to sleep and saw the score în the morning i was shocked..

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I wish we could bring back 2003-04 Gary Roberts to this team. Need more guys like him on this team, He'd play a full 60 mins and wouldnt screw around. Got too many snowflakes on this team.

After the contract dispute, my wife said that we'd never win anything until we traded that snowflake Nylander.

Then again, about a week later she asked me how many players were on the ice at one time so not sure how much stock to put in that one. :)

Reactions: Sniper99

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
So Tavares scores on a breakaway and it's not on the goalie but PLD scores on a breakaway and Andersen is the reason we lost. Got it.
You can't think those breakways are the same, can you? Ones for back pressure limiting options and no cut potential. The other is all alone from the far Blueline in

Reactions: Dekes For Days

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Goalie plays amazing, has a .948 SV% and you point to a breakaway that should never have been allowed in the first place and blame the goalie.

You're a very good poster IMO, I find myself agreeing with you most of the time but we're not even close on this one. Respectfully, agree to disagree, I don't think there's much else to say here.

He did not have a .948 SV% last night. One game's saves can't win the next.

And again, it's not "blaming the goalie", it's recognizing that he's just as guilty as the rest of the team for not coming up big when it matters, which is concerning because if they "figure it out" and he doesn't we're not winning squat.

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
On the other hand, Kerfoot was just fantastic on our 1st goal. This was a team loss, plenty of blame to go around.

Well yeah but what's the sense in doing good things for the team when you're going to do such stupid things like that clearing attempt.

Well the only positive from this is that unlike in 2013, this was not game 5, the Leafs have a chance to redeem themselves. They'd have to win 2 games in a row but they did that against the Bruins twice when down 3-1 in games.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I find it interesting that Keefe is kind of giving the same vibes that Babcock did; how long till Dubas' ego gets hurt again and Keefe is on his way out too?

Wouldn’t surprise me if there were just some uncoachable players in that room. When I watch certain high priced young core players it’s like they’re doing whatever they want out there.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

And again, it's not "blaming the goalie", it's recognizing that he's just as guilty as the rest of the team for not coming up big when it matters, which is concerning because if they "figure it out" and he doesn't we're not winning squat.
Do we think he's outplayed the guy at the other end in any game this playoff?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Wouldn’t surprise me if there were just some uncoachable players in that room. When I watch certain high priced young core players it’s like they’re doing whatever they want out there.

well they got what they wanted in contract negotiations; why wouldn't they do what they want on ice either....

Reactions: Leterman

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
So Tavares scores on a breakaway and it's not on the goalie but PLD scores on a breakaway and Andersen is the reason we lost.
Well, first off, their "breakaways" weren't remotely close to the same. Tavares was in all alone. Dubois had pressure from behind that forced him to the backhand. Tavares is also a better player/goal-scorer than Dubois. On equal goaltending, that Tavares goal happens more often than the Dubois goal.

That said, I didn't actually say anything about the OT goal. That was far from the only goal, or the worst goal Andersen allowed last night. Not sure why you're replying to me if you're just going to ignore everything I say and make up some strawman.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You can't think those breakways are the same, can you? Ones for back pressure limiting options and no cut potential. The other is all alone from the far Blueline in

No two breakaways are the same. They were both grade A chances though.

Does it look to you like "they" are anywhere close to figuring it out?

We're going around in circles here and I stand by my opinion. You can rag on Andy all you want but the fact is, he's been one of our best players and if everyone had played as well as him so far, we wouldn't be arguing over whether it's his fault for not stopping a breakaway or the other guys fault for allowing the breakaway because this series would be over and we'd be preparing for the next one.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Well, first off, their "breakaways" weren't remotely close to the same. Tavares was in all alone. Dubois had pressure from behind that forced him to the backhand. Tavares is also a better player/goal-scorer than Dubois. On equal goaltending, that Tavares goal happens more often than the Dubois goal.

That said, I didn't actually say anything about the OT goal. That was far from the only goal, or the worst goal Andersen allowed last night. Not sure why you're replying to me if you're just going to ignore everything I say and make up some strawman.

Like I said in my previous post, no two breakaways are the same but they were both grade A chances. Andersen's played really well, wish I could say the same for everyone else.

GoLeafsGo96

Dec 26, 2010
Andersen isn't the problem - but he hasn't been as good as the combination of the rookies Korp/Elvis.

Game 1, Korp stays solid, wins the game for CBJ. Game 3, Toronto with a lead, Andersen not exactly bad, but they could have used a save in the third to button it down and get them the series lead.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Mar 26, 2010
Andersen has always been a flop. He costed us game 1 and folded like a cheap tent in game 3.
100%. Andersen is the reason this team loses. I have said it before and I’ll say it again, he has one brilliant game out of every 10 to 15 games. Other than that, he is absolutely terrible.

The reason the leafs are losing this series right now, is because Frederick Andersen is being out of goaltended by the Columbus goaltenders. I am tired of people masking it. Even the goal in overtime last night, he left the entire glove side of the net open. PLD Literally skated in from the blue line with the puck on his back hand and just shot it into the open net.

This team will never win with Andersen. Simple as that.

A 3-0 lead going into the 3rd period is enough to win any game! Your goalie has to make a damn save!!!!

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015

Yeah. That’s not on Andersen. But PLD proved he’s way more talented than Tavares and is at same tier as Mathews already. Let’s not even compare our smurf Marner or hair model Willy. PLD is the real deal.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Imagine watching the game and then posting this.

Barrie and Ceci were the best D last night and Rielly costs us the game on a needless pinch that had no positive potential

The left side was atrocious last night and they're All back next year even if Marincin is 7th D
They were both terrible. Turnovers and bad decisions all over the ice, especially in the 3rd period when they’re trying to close out a game. They can’t happen but they always do, and that’s why the Leafs always seem to come up on the wrong end of these games.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Like I said in my previous post, no two breakaways are the same but they were both grade A chances.
One was a much better chance than the other, and you attempted to equate them as part of your strawman argument that had nothing to do with what I said.
Andersen's played really well, wish I could say the same for everyone else.
Andersen has played well this series, just like the rest of the team. Columbus goalies have played better this series, and Andersen did not play well last night, which is the primary reason we are down 2-1 despite being the better team in 2 out of the 3 games.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
100%. Andersen is the reason this team loses. I have said it before and I’ll say it again, he has one brilliant game out of every 10 to 15 games. Other than that, he is absolutely terrible.

The reason the leafs are losing this series right now, is because Frederick Andersen is being out of goaltended by the Columbus goaltenders. I am tired of people masking it. Even the goal in overtime last night, he left the entire glove side of the net open. PLD Literally skated in from the blue line with the puck on his back hand and just shot it into the open net.

This team will never win with Andersen. Simple as that.

A 3-0 lead going into the 3rd period is enough to win any game! Your goalie has to make a damn save!!!!

LOL.

Oh Gary, you know in your heart exactly how this will likely play out. :laugh:

STFU, I hate you. :laugh:

Yeah. That’s not on Andersen. But PLD proved he’s way more talented than Tavares and is at same tier as Mathews already. Let’s not even compare our smurf Marner or hair model Willy. PLD is the real deal.

Tell that to the poster who said Tavares is better than PLD, Dekes something something I think it was. ;)

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
One was a much better chance than the other, and you attempted to equate them as part of your strawman argument that had nothing to do with what I said.

Andersen has played well this series, just like the rest of the team. Columbus goalies have played better this series, and Andersen did not play well last night, which is the primary reason we are down 2-1 despite being the better team in 2 out of the 3 games.

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Andersen has been one of our best players this series and if everyone had played as well as him, we'd have won this thing 3-0. Time to get your head out of your you know what.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad