Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 4-3 In OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Dude, for $10.893 million a year I would agree to a naked tar-and-feathering down Yonge St on the first of every month.

You think I care that these rich multi-millionaire athletes get a little criticism directed their way when they don't earn their millions through, you know, actually performing?

But Barrie is very sensitive. Do you want him to become resentful and play poorly on purpose?

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Barrie is very sensitive. If you demote him, he might become resentful and go back to being the dman he was under Babcock. Positive reinforcement is the only thing you can do for someone like Barrie.

One game from elimination is not the time to coddle your players, especially a veteran. He's already playing the the d-man he was under Babcock (dare I say it, the team collectively looks that way).

And if Barrie is that sensitive, I can't wait until he signs elsewhere. Just have to chalk up the trading of Kadri as a loss, and move on. Right move that just ended up poorly.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

This is a disturbing tweet from a rookie coach. How do you notice your team didn't have a purpose or a plan and didn't put a plan in place? Isn't that part of the coaching portfolio?

Ive liked Keefe for the most part, but that was definitely a dumb thing to say on his part. Reminded me of the nonsense that Carlyle used to say once in a while

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I think any day that Freddy 5 doesn't give up his signature 5 or more goals is a big win in the goaltending department for us.

Another big bonus was that Freddy really spaced out the goals he let in. Normally it's like a flurry of 3 goals in 3 minutes to start a period, the kind of brief blip in a game that just wounds your team and scars them mentally.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I get tired of all the mean-spirited banter for and against Dubas and Shanahan and this player or that, and kind of glaze over and tune that out.

I just felt the Leafs didn't play with the sense of urgency they need shift-in and shift-out in the playoffs, and really all the time to be a championship team. I thought they showed in in Game 2, and a few players such as Matthews did in Game 3, but overall as a team they just aren't there yet.

I'm also glad they signed Tavares, because I think he's been full value whether he scores or not. He's been one of he players consistently winning puck battles, and without his goal in Game 2 (which I think was very highly skilled) who knows if the series would have ended last night instead of tonight or on Sunday?

I think they do need to keep honing the roster if this group can't get even this much done.

I'm the biggest Fred Gauthier fan in the stands, but I think he's done -- he'll never get it.

I'm not sold on Fred Andersen either. It's not like you can point to one goal or another and say he should have had that, nor can you say that he didn't make some exceptional saves. Among other aspects of their play, that Game 3 was winnable with exceptional goaltending and that just didn't happen.

Kerfoot is a pleasant surprise and might even be better than Kadri.

Barrie is a goner.

There are many other moveable pieces that will be play soon if, as many of us expect, this season is over soon.

However, it's not over till it's over.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Ive liked Keefe for the most part, but that was definitely a dumb thing to say on his part. Reminded me of the nonsense that Carlyle used to say once in a while

Calling spade a spade isn't dumb. Singing praises for participation trophies and snowflakes is what is making this team soft as butter

Reactions: rumman

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
This was a typical Leafs game we've gotten used to. Completely dominate. Take a lead. Opposing team scores a goal. Somehow that tilts the ice completely in the opposition's favour in which they absolutely take it to the Leafs, hemming them in. Opposing team proceeds to tie it up, and you just know that chances are the Leafs are going to lose the game as a result.

Questions about Freddie coming up in the big games are legit. But Jones' shot was a seeing eye shot that was just incredibly placed. And chances are Dubois scores that breakaway on the majority of goalies in the league. There were way many more question marks last night besides Freddie.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
So when we score goals it was an excellent shot/play; other goalie had no chance

when we give up goals; it is all on andersen because teh team defense is stellar; goalie has not been good eh?
Where exactly did I say that? Both of those chances were good chances. They just weren't equal quality, as was suggested.
He wasn't better last night.
No, because Dubois had a huge game. That doesn't change the fact that Tavares is a better player.
And blaming Andy for that goal and saying Tavares is better than PLD as part of your "argument" is hilarious.
Once again, you were the one that randomly brought up that goal, as part of your strawman argument when you had no response for my actual post. Also, Tavares being better than Dubois was a fairly minor point; the much bigger point was that they weren't equal opportunities with equal chances of resulting in a goal, regardless of who was taking the shot. I was merely correcting your mistake.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Hope is what the Leafs have been peddling since I started watching them with Davey Keon and Bruce Gamble.

Just a few in the relatively recent future:
Burke brought hope but no results
Kessel brought hope but no results
Babcock brought hope but no results
Matthews brought hope but no results
Tavares brought hope but no results
Barrie brought hope but no results
Barrie never brought hope. At least not with myself

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I'm sure I'll feel the wrath but Matthews hasn't exactly been earning his money.

3 points in 3 games :

- 1 point was an assist on an empty net goal
- 1 point was a 2nd assist on a PPG.
- 2 shots (and a minus 1) in 4 periods last night.

And Seth Jones has been burying him. We're paying $11.6M for that?

The big 4 are ALL overpaid. How anyone allowed 4 players to make half the team's salary is beyond me.

Leafling

Oct 24, 2015
This team isn't young anymore. Their deficiencies are years old.

Exactly this. Can people please stop giving excuses for these guys.

Blowing such leads against teams like caps or bruins is somewhat understandable but now it happened against Columbus!! They aren't even a known offensive team!

These guys just lack effort at times and it is getting tiring to watch.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Are you really, really mad at Marner for wearing a 400$ shirt ? really ?
No I am not ... he was a poor kid and fought through to get his $$$ ... I am happy for Mitch a great kid ... but he is like da nouveau rich ... he needs to remember his roots ...and he needs to sit in 3rd periods when we are protecting leads in playoffs

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Over the series, both the team and Andersen have been good. The problem is, while the team of skaters has been better than their opposition, Andersen has not been better than his counterpart. That's more about Columbus' goalies playing out of their mind, but that's the difference right now.

Yeah I don't think so. Their goalies have played amazing but so has Andersen, pretty much a wash. Same goes for the skaters, pretty close overall.

Now weren't you one of the people bragging about how amazing our offence was and how we would dominate CLB?

That's the problem right there. We have one of the most talented rosters in the NHL, CLB just doesn't even come close to matching our talent. We've played up to our potential in exactly one game out of three, if you weren't so busy dumping on our goalie with the .948 SV% then you might take a step back and see that that is the reason we're stuck 2-1.

Talented as hell but this team is less than the sum of it's parts so far. And unless that changes and changes fast, we're done.

I know you think Dubas walks on water, do you think that if things keep going the way they are his stance is going to be that everything is cool, we just need our goalie to play better?

:laugh::laugh:

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->