Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 4-3 In OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I'm sure I'll feel the wrath but Matthews hasn't exactly been earning his money.

3 points in 3 games :

- 1 point was an assist on an empty net goal
- 1 point was a 2nd assist on a PPG.
- 2 shots (and a minus 1) in 4 periods last night.

And Seth Jones has been burying him. We're paying $11.6M for that?

The big 4 are ALL overpaid. How anyone allowed 4 players to make half the team's salary is beyond me.

Matty has been good but Dubois stole the show yesterday. Hopefully this pissed Matty off and he gets some revenge tonight.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
you can never trust him to steal an important game or outplay the other goaltender. so many times we've outplayed our opponent and lost. that usually says something.

The Leafs blew chunks last night and I wouldn’t say Andersen is at fault for any of the goals the Jackets scored, but he has never, not once, gone the distance to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat for us. The only way this team ever wins in the playoffs is if everyone is on.

If the offence isn’t going the defence and goaltending will not cover for them. If the D is struggling the offence will not support with goals and Freddy will not elevate to a game stealing level which I guess he’s just not capable of in the playoffs. And God forbid the goaltending struggles, the D and offence can’t do anything to help him.

Reactions: saffronleaf

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
I'm sure I'll feel the wrath but Matthews hasn't exactly been earning his money.

3 points in 3 games :

The big 4 are ALL overpaid. How anyone allowed 4 players to make half the team's salary is beyond me.
Yeah your absolutely off base and completely wrong. Couldnt disagree more. That guy has been the only one who is earning his money. Probably out only threat whenever he is on the ice. By far the best player on both teams. Probably should have like 10 points if he was somewhat lucky.

This is why people should watch the games compared to stat watchers. This is also why people think marner is so good when he just honestly racks up easy points most of the time.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
He wasn't dumb for saying the team didn't play well, more for saying the team wasn't prepared, which is the coaches job to get them ready

As my late grandmother used to say:

If a horse is thirsty:

- You can take the horse to the river
- Put the water in a bucket in front of him
- Heck even bring the water to the horse's mouth and may be even put it in their mouth

But horse has to make an effort to swallow the water at least.

Coaches can prepare the players all they want; if players don't execute coach's can't do F all

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

Auston Richard

Feb 27, 2020

3 points in 3 games :

I agree. Matthews has been the best of the big 4, but still underwhelming overall. McDavid has 5 goals and 7 points. At Matthews price tag, I expect similar numbers.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Yeah your absolutely off base and completely wrong. Couldnt disagree more. That guy has been the only one who is earning his money. Probably out only threat whenever he is on the ice. By far the best player on both teams. Probably should have like 10 points if he was somewhat lucky.

This is why people should watch the games compared to stat watchers. This is also why people think marner is so good when he just honestly racks up easy points most of the time.
Whatever. :rolleyes:

Considering Seth Jones has won their battle, how could he possibly be the best player on both teams?

3rd highest player in the League and he has done nothing to get us over the hump but... again, whatever. Matthews fans will never believe he is anything but great - even when he's not.

Reactions: lopey

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I agree. Matthews has been the best of the big 4, but still underwhelming overall. McDavid has 5 goals and 7 points. At Matthews price tag, I expect similar numbers.
Exactly. Thank you.

Watching McDavid play and then watching Matthews is like night and day. Heck, there have been lots of players (on other teams) who have outperformed the great 34.

All that for $11.6M/yr.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

100% concur Matty has been best guy on ice on either team with Dubois a close 2nd ... but don't whack on Mitch this is not type of opponent where Mitch can show his skills ... Mitch will help against a tampa type opponent maybe even be our best guy

Reactions: The Sweetness

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Calling spade a spade isn't dumb. Singing praises for participation trophies and snowflakes is what is making this team soft as butter

Your first comment is spot on. But if you think our praises have any impact towards making this team 'soft as butter' you've missed the nature of sport altogether.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
upload_2020-5-12_18-18-17-png.345940

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Whatever. :rolleyes:

Considering Seth Jones has won their battle, how could he possibly be the best player on both teams?

3rd highest player in the League and he has done nothing to get us over the hump but... again, whatever. Matthews fans will never believe he is anything but great - even when he's not.
He has been best 2 way player on ice easy ... but agree he needs to deliver goals without excuses and multiple goals to get us over da hump ... the 4 posts and bars are not good enough

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
If we get lafrenriere I want marner and or nylander out of this city by the draft. Marner hasnt produced enough despite good play and nylander has had good moments but played bad yesterday in the 3rd and OT. I'd trade JT and keep a winger but he has a NMC. The draft lottery should completely change our team philosophy with us getting a elite physical winger who could play with 34 and then adding some high end picks prospects from a 16/88 deal leading to hopefully Pietrangelo coming home.

Reactions: supermann_98

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Ive liked Keefe for the most part, but that was definitely a dumb thing to say on his part. Reminded me of the nonsense that Carlyle used to say once in a while

I think that was a roundabout way of telling his team that he did not follow the plan and they got what they deserved... He just wasn't going to outright blame them. He probably feels guilty somewhat too (he should have taken a timeout after the 2nd goal rather than with 2 minutes left in OT) but his job is not to tell his team how to make basic, clean passes in the defensive zone. They struggled to even do that right most of the time yesterday.

Reactions: Menzinger

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
100% concur Matty has been best guy on ice on either team with Dubois a close 2nd ... but don't whack on Mitch this is not type of opponent where Mitch can show his skills ... Mitch will help against a tampa type opponent maybe even be our best guy

I deserve to be the highest paid player on the team but I can only dominate against a subset of the league.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
It really doesn't matter how much skill each individual player has on this team. What matters is not giving up a lead in the third period, and starting on time. Otherwise it is just potential.

I don't care who we have to trade to make it so we play each regular season and playoff game like game 2.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Pretty confident we win tonight then add another collection to the "lool leafs suck" package in game 5. Could be a blown lead, a blow out, or a trap game with less than 20 shots on net and no goals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad