Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
If so, that's really a questionable decision from the coaching staff. You can be sure the top contenders who tore up the league going into the playoffs were not told to "take it easy" and that losses were acceptable.

We are trying to foster a winning culture.

Really? Did you watch any of rhe final games? Because that's exactly what it looked like. Everyone was playing not to get injured, and sittingband resting top players.

Just like they do in every sport, every year before the playoffs

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
This is what the "meaningless game" folks aren't getting.

These last 2 games weren't meaningless to our opponents. Funny that.
Somebody has to win a meaningless game.... They agreed to go easy and not injure each other. lol! Marner sat and brooks played, that's how serious the game was.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
No injuries is a success

The real season starts now, no excuses. This needs to be a deep run
This was all that mattered in this game. Winning the game while popping a couple PP goals would have been nice but if this win came at the cost of a key player being knocked out of the playoffs...

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
This thread surprised me. I was expecting some "we shouldn't have let Toninato go, man" comments from the wet blanket crowd. There were none! Well done.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I doubt the team cares about that. Winning the division is more important.
Yep, I remember a lot of posts where fans didn't even want the team to play hard to win the division. The division didn't matter to many, I could just imagine the freakout if the term started coasting after getting the X.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Still shocked so many saw this as a meaningless game. They literally just added two teams to the list that will have home ice advantage now, with fans in their stands. And as others have pointed out, they also just added Colorado and Vegas to the list of potential 3rd round opponents. How is this meaningless? We could have had home ice advantage against all but three potential opponents just by giving two shits in the last two games.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Still shocked so many saw this as a meaningless game. They literally just added two teams to the list that will have home ice advantage now, with fans in their stands. And as others have pointed out, they also just added Colorado and Vegas to the list of potential 3rd round opponents. How is this meaningless? We could have had home ice advantage against all but three potential opponents just by giving two shits in the last two games.
I hope we do matchup against the 2 teams that we "allowed " to stay ahead of us. We couldn't do anything about 2 of the other 3. So we have to beat Colorado in the semi's as opposed to the finals. It's better than playing hard and going into the playoffs all banged up.

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Sorry if this has already been discussed, I only read the comments on the last page.
Can anyone see us being a serious Cup contender with such an inept PP? Also, can anyone see this problem getting fixed before our 1st game? If only we had a 1st PP dman with a legitimate slapshot. Then the PKers would have to respect that option, giving more space for Matthews and Marner on the wing.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Sorry if this has already been discussed, I only read the comments on the last page.
Can anyone see us being a serious Cup contender with such an inept PP? Also, can anyone see this problem getting fixed before our 1st game? If only we had a 1st PP dman with a legitimate slapshot. Then the PKers would have to respect that option, giving more space for Matthews and Marner on the wing.

Has been done before, and will happen again. To make it work, obviously your PK meeds to be elite (ours has been), you need elite goaltending, and you need to be elite 5v5.

That said, Leafs haven’t tended to lose their playoff series 5v5.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix

The talent gap in the final 4 is relatively small. All the teams are amazing and at some point you need to beat good teams to win a cup. As long as nobody got hurt the game was a success.

Reactions: Gallagbi

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix

Explain how leaf power plays qb'd by rielly were amongst the best in the league for a very long time?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Contender - Depends on how games are called. We've veen a pretty low frequency special teams group in the playoffs, that could continue with these markets. I do expect it to change and see more special teams this year.

Change - Yup, I don't expect it to, but I won't be surprised if it's much improved for Game 1. We've known our opponent for basically a month and now have time to commit and prepare. I think they're getting close and some straight up positioning and role changes could make them more dangerous overnight.

harvestglen

Oct 29, 2013
It's definitely disappointing when even a single point would have removed some notable possibilities. At the same time, if anything's a good problem to have, it's having anything to lament knowing you've gotten past McDavid.

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad