Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I think Winnipeg won because they happened to get the right shots at the right time and neither team was particularly invested in winning.

I'd simply disagree about injuries not being an issue. If the Leafs were able to I have little doubt they would have outright sat their core players if they could have last night.

Overall I just think we're overanalyzing these 60 minutes of gameplay by an extreme degree

There's nothing to analyze IMO. We lost, that's the end of it. It's not the end of the world but since the result has an impact on PO seeding it wasn't 100% meaningless so why make excuses.

What makes you say the Leafs couldn't have sat more core players last night? Anyhow the guys that played, played, just like they did for WPG and I don't understand this injury excuse - did we lose because we played to avoid injury? It was a no hitting affair anyway, would have skating faster hurt somebody? Sorry, I just don't get it.

For the general argument that it was a nothing game, I liked the Bruce Boudreau interview on Leafs Hour where he quoted George Armstrong. Bruce said it was his preference for the Leafs to keep playing those meaningless games at a high level because quoting Armstrong, “hockey isn’t a tap you can turn on or off.” Although ironically this team can seem to turn it on and off, I think the old school fan in me would prefer to see a team just always put that best foot forward regardless of circumstances.

Yup.

They're slim, but I did get you on a technicality :)

You didn't get anything. You pointed out an unlikely scenario in which WPG benefits from winning that game, there are more scenarios where we benefit if we win. For example, PIT, TOR, one more good team and one bad team are in the semis and PIT gets to play the bad team because they're ahead of us. All you did was show that winning that game might mean something and in the end, the higher your PO seeding the better which was my point all along.

Last edited:

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
All you did was show that winning that game might mean something and in the end, the higher your PO seeding the better which was my point all along.

Right, so it might mean something for the Jets just as it might mean something for the Leafs. Therefore it wasn't meaningless to them either.

OP I responded to.
Nobody's "worrying". I'm just pointing out that those people saying last night's game was meaningless are wrong. For WPG it was meaningless but for the Leafs that's just not true.

*I concede the outcome is more likely to impact the Leafs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad