Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Killer instinct ...

Good teams have it and are able to put opponents away when they need to.

Its still up for debate if our Leafs posses that ingredient and we will soon find out when the playoffs begin.

Last edited:

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Killer instinct ...

Good teams have it and are able to put opponents away when they need to.

Its still up for debate if our Leafs posses that ingredient and we will soon find our when the playoffs begin.
Who needed to be put away? The two teams that clinched and were locked into playoff spots last night? The two teams that played in Ott also locked into their final spots?

Maybe it's the 3- game series we played vs. the Habs, who we'll face in the first round, heading into playoffs where we took 5/6 points

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I'm on the fence about this one. I liked several of Marshy's posts because I tend to agree with that point of view. That said, it was evident after the first period that the Leafs didn't come to play so I decided not to care enough to watch...

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I'm on the fence about this one. I liked several of Marshy's posts because I tend to agree with that point of view. That said, it was evident after the first period that the Leafs didn't come to play so I decided not to care enough to watch...
Here's the thing with Marshy's point.

Were 7-1-2 in our last 10. We took 5 of 6 against our first round opponent a week ago. The only regulation loss in that span is on the road, in a meaningless game from the standings where we would have rested more players if the cap allowed.

Were facing a team on a bigger skid, and the other team who clinched first (Car) is coming into the playoffs on a 3-game losing streak. The first place teams who are winning, are playing for first place.

So we have momentum, we had a first round preview we dominated and we've essentially rested players to the best of our abilities given the cap constraints

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
This was all that mattered in this game. Winning the game while popping a couple PP goals would have been nice but if this win came at the cost of a key player being knocked out of the playoffs...

It was kind of important to me that Campbell looked like he was in playoff form. His last 4 games were .870, .903, .913, .870 which doesn't come close to winning a series. Hopefully he can stay dialed in once the playoffs start.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
It was kind of important to me that Campbell looked like he was in playoff form. His last 4 games were .870, .903, .913, .870 which doesn't come close to winning a series. Hopefully he can stay dialed in once the playoffs start.
I'm not too fussed with the game itself, but goaltending in general scares the hell out of me with this team.

Were going into playoffs with an undersized, unproven goalie who is notoriously hard on himself and can get into mental ruts with the two biggest hockey markets playing eachother. Our backup is a rusty, notoriously slow starter playing the worst hockey of his erratic career. It could certainly work out as both have high upside, but they're far from a guarantee

Reactions: Clark4Ever

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Yeah, me too. There's merit to both sides of the argument.

Here's the thing with Marshy's point.

Were 7-1-2 in our last 10. We took 5 of 6 against our first round opponent a week ago. The only regulation loss in that span is on the road, in a meaningless game from the standings where we would have rested more players if the cap allowed.

Were facing a team on a bigger skid, and the other team who clinched first (Car) is coming into the playoffs on a 3-game losing streak. The first place teams who are winning, are playing for first place.

So we have momentum, we had a first round preview we dominated and we've essentially rested players to the best of our abilities given the cap constraints

All this is true except for one thing - this game was not meaningless. Yes I know, it might not matter but on the other hand, not getting a point last night might turn out to mean a different 3rd round opponent and if that happens, it will be quite significant.

Whatever, it's over now. Win the next one and look good in the process and I'll forget about it, at least for the next 4 weeks or so.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Couldn't care less about the result, just happy we got through the game unscathed.

We'll have a much different lineup for game 1.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm not too fussed with the game itself, but goaltending in general scares the hell out of me with this team.

Were going into playoffs with an undersized, unproven goalie who is notoriously hard on himself and can get into mental ruts with the two biggest hockey markets playing eachother. Our backup is a rusty, notoriously slow starter playing the worst hockey of his erratic career. It could certainly work out as both have high upside, but they're far from a guarantee

That's all true. Campbell has been so good though that I'm not nearly as worried as I was a month or so ago. As far as Andersen, I just hope he never has to play. It's just so hard to have faith in him at this point and honestly, I'm kind of annoyed if he actually is the backup as I just don't see how he's a better choice than Rittich at this point. We'll see.

I said it 6 weeks or so ago that we have two big problems, the goaltending is a big question mark and then there's the PP. The goaltending question mark has shrunk a fair bit but that PP, that's just embarrassing. I just hope that starting Thursday it magically starts clicking, nothing else to say at this point.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
All this is true except for one thing - this game was not meaningless. Yes I know, it might not matter but on the other hand, not getting a point last night might turn out to mean a different 3rd round opponent and if that happens, it will be quite significant.
Don't we have to win 2 rounds first before we face unknown and unnamed seed? We've also heard for years/decades about teams needing to pace themselves to prep for playoffs.

Our focus needs to be on winning the first, then the second, then the third, the cup. Not the final game of the season putting us into a hypothetical better matchup based on a number of "if" situations

Also, can you enlighten me, what's the big outcome we missed on even in this hypothetical matchup?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Only if the plan is to make the finals. If the goal is to win the cup, they are going to have to beat Vegas or the Avs no matter what.

Of course. That's why I am not concerned over finishing 6th instead of 4th

But we don't have to beat Vegas or the Avs no matter what and avoiding them until the finals would increase the possibility that we don't have to play them at all.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Don't we have to win 2 rounds first before we face unknown and unnamed seed? We've also heard for years/decades about teams needing to pace themselves to prep for playoffs.

Our focus needs to be on winning the first, then the second, then the third, the cup. Not the final game of the season putting us into a hypothetical better matchup based on a number of "if" situations

We have 6 days to rest before the next game. WPG is a weak team that unlike us, did have absolutely nothing to play for last night. Last night was also basically a no hitting contest. Do you really think that playing with just a little bit more urgency for that one game would mean that we'd be burned out when the playoffs start? I don't think so myself.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
We have 6 days to rest before the next game. WPG is a weak team that unlike us, did have absolutely nothing to play for last night. Last night was also basically a no hitting contest. Do you really think that playing with just a little bit more urgency for that one game would mean that we'd be burned out when the playoffs start? I don't think so myself.
Looks like both teams were clearly avoiding injuries.

What's the outcome/situation we lose out on with the loss?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Looks like both teams were clearly avoiding injuries.

And that lack of physicality is exactly why this talk about about saving ourselves for the playoffs makes no sense. Skate a little harder, we don't play again for 6 days FFS.

What's the outcome/situation we lose out on with the loss?

You really haven't been following the discussion? One point last night would have meant that we're guaranteed to not have to face Vegas or Colorado (the two top teams in the league and the two biggest cup favourites) until the finals which also increases the chances that we don't have to play them at all as there's a chance someone else takes them out for us (and hopefully would burn themselves out somewhat in the process).

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
You really haven't been following the discussion? One point last night would have meant that we're guaranteed to not have to face Vegas or Colorado (the two top teams in the league and the two biggest cup favourites) until the finals which also increases the chances that we don't have to play them at all as there's a chance someone else takes them out for us (and hopefully would burn themselves out somewhat in the process).
So in summary the argument is that winning teams play hard to avoid tough opponents.

And that last night was a missed opportunity to avoid the toughest seed (assume they prevail, which is a safe bet) and assumes that TB doesn't come out of their division or Pitts emerges from whatever the hell they call the new division instead of Wsh/NYI/Bos.

Yeah, I'm completely fine with that.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
The talent gap in the final 4 is relatively small. All the teams are amazing and at some point you need to beat good teams to win a cup. As long as nobody got hurt the game was a success.

FYI you're making my argument for me. If the talent gap is small, something like home ice advantage becomes bigger. And regarding facing a good team eventually, wouldn't you prefer having a few of those good teams face each other before we do and take each other out?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
So in summary the argument is that winning teams play hard to avoid tough opponents.

And that last night was a missed opportunity to avoid the toughest seed (assume they prevail, which is a safe bet) and assumes that TB doesn't come out of their division or Pitts emerges from whatever the hell they call the new division instead of Wsh/NYI/Bos.

Yeah, I'm completely fine with that.

Yeah there's definitely a good chance that TB makes it or whatever else happens meaning that missing out on that point won't matter which is why I'm not that upset about it. But there's a chance that it will matter and it's always best to have the easiest path to the final which is why IMHO, saying last might's game was meaningless is clearly wrong.

Having a hard path to the final sucks. Considering how tough we've had it the last few years (and how tough we will again have it starting next season), Leaf fans should know that better than anyone.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Yeah there's definitely a good chance that TB makes it or whatever else happens meaning that missing out on that point won't matter which is why I'm not that upset about it. But there's a chance that it will matter and it's always best to have the easiest path to the final which is why IMHO, saying last might's game was meaningless is clearly wrong.

Having a hard path to the final sucks. Considering how tough we've had it the last few years (and how tough we will again have it starting next season), Leaf fans should know that better than anyone.
I guess I assume a final 4 matchup will be tough regardless if we project few upsets. And really, any upset takes us out of that matchup people are scared of anyways. Hell, I'd argue a number of non upsets take us out of it with that Pitts division and TB lurking in the weeds

Reactions: Gary Nylund

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
But we don't have to beat Vegas or the Avs no matter what and avoiding them until the finals would increase the possibility that we don't have to play them at all.

I know people are scared about Vegas or the Avs, but I actually think it may be a blessing in disguise.
I would rather avoid Carolina than Colorado/Vegas. 2 fewer points in a much tougher division.

In the end, there is a lot of gymnastics that people are worried about for absolutely no reason.
Maybe we have to go up against Colorado/Vegas before we go up against Carolina in the Cup Finals instead of the other way around. Either way, we are playing two top teams and we are playing teams that we can beat.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Explain how leaf power plays qb'd by rielly were amongst the best in the league for a very long time?
I guess the hard part is figuring out what the heck happened. Did teams finally decide to let Reilly take his wrist shot rather than letting him dish it off to Matthews or Marner? If so, that was a good decision by them.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Contender - Depends on how games are called. We've veen a pretty low frequency special teams group in the playoffs, that could continue with these markets. I do expect it to change and see more special teams this year.

Change - Yup, I don't expect it to, but I won't be surprised if it's much improved for Game 1. We've known our opponent for basically a month and now have time to commit and prepare. I think they're getting close and some straight up positioning and role changes could make them more dangerous overnight.
I sure hope so. It’s so frustrating to see such good offensive talent struggle to just get it in the zone, and to keep it in, while also getting some grade A chances.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Has been done before, and will happen again. To make it work, obviously your PK meeds to be elite (ours has been), you need elite goaltending, and you need to be elite 5v5.

That said, Leafs haven’t tended to lose their playoff series 5v5.
But ultimately, especially in the final four, you need to score a few PP goals in a series to have a chance of winning. At least, that’s what I think.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The regular season is over so this game doesn’t matter.

Now it does. Are you coming to play?

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019

Agreed. No matter what they have to play whoever comes out of their respective divisions.

Chances are all the 1 seeds won't advance and it's going to be a tough two final rounds.

In my dream scenario somehow they take out Bos and TB in the final two rounds and leave no doubt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->