Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-1. Series tied 1-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Either way 3 years or 5 years of Matthews is substantially better than 6 years of Wee Willy.

That was the big mistake. They should've traded him for a RHD when they had the chance.

I'm sure Dubas tried.

I sure would have.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Either way 3 years or 5 years of Matthews is substantially better than 6 years of Wee Willy.

That was the big mistake. They should've traded him for a RHD when they had the chance.
That would not make us win this game. Or the series. The fantastic pass back into the zone, that Nylander misshanled Andersen should have got. He left his post way to early. Nylander messed up bad, but Andersen should have covered that one. I didt see any of the big three on the scoresheet. Thats more concerning.

Cynical

Aug 23, 2014
NHL - No Holds-barred League - how long have many on this board predicted the refs would swallow their whistles ?? F you Gary, Murphy, Gary's puppet Daly and the rest of the f'n idiots that run this league.

But they didn't swallow their whistles. Look at the penalties they called against the Leafs. They weren't even borderline calls. There was literally no infraction on the calls against Kadri and Gauthier. They turned a blind eye to some extremely dangerous his by Boston and then penalized the Leafs on nothing plays.

The Leafs played mediocre, but the Refs definitely played a huge part in this Leafs loss

Optimist

Wendel and I
Feb 16, 2015
Ontario Canada
A couple of thoughts from me. First of all, the NHL should be embarrassed by this game. They let it get wayyy out of hand. We might as well pay Matthews his tens of millions to sit in the press box if this is what we're gonna get from him in the playoffs. He's a complete no show. Nylander has to go. He is not nearly worth what he's getting paid. I'm not happy with Kadri,s antics last night, but when you carry 100% of the entire teams heart on your sleeve, something has to give. And it did.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I think we are forgetting that we now have home ice advantage in this series which could be a huge deciding factor. We're better at home than Boston is on the road and we now have 3/5 of the remaining games on our ice.

All Leafs fans are pissed off with the way the game went last night and how we're in this war with the Bruins now. I think we all feel more invested and involved in the series and that's going to show in the atmosphere tomorrow night. Leaving Boston and that arena tied 1-1 is absolutely massive - we win Game 3 and we're in the driver's seat. Tomorrow should be electric.

Reactions: Burnie97

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I think that the only way that Matthews shows up is if he gets re-united with Nylander. All of a sudden he'll start skating and giving a shit.

Problem is that Kadri's gotten himself suspended so that won't be happening.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
What concerns me is that Boston raised their level of play and completely shut us down. That's what they can do. They can shut us down easily and we're done. Leafs have to raise their level of play a notch in game 3.

Reactions: HellasLEAF

Leafs Fan 12

Jan 20, 2011
The leafs are still in great shape, they got the split on the road which is all anyone could have asked for. They now know what to expect from the Bruins and I cant see Boston keeping that level of play and physicality up for the whole series. Also the games should be called tighter moving forward which helps the leafs. Some of the big boys (34,44) have yet to make an impact in the series and that should change soon I'd think.

Also even when kadri gets multiple games the leafs have the depth to overcome it (shift Marleau over to center and move brown up and insert ennis....a nylander-marleau-brown third line is still solid and I liked ennis all year so him getting inserted should help the 4th line.

It could be a lot worse going into game 3 (just look at the Jets and Tampa)

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
What concerns me is that Boston raised their level of play and completely shut us down. That's what they can do. They can shut us down easily and we're done. Leafs have to raise their level of play a notch in game 3.

And if we raise our level and skate circles around them again we can shut them down. What we have to avoid is trying to get into a war, it isn’t us.

I know it is a cliché but it really comes down to who wants it more

Reactions: Pi

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I think that the only way that Matthews shows up is if he gets re-united with Nylander. All of a sudden he'll start skating and giving a ****.

Problem is that Kadri's gotten himself suspended so that won't be happening.

I am really disappointed in Matthews. He showed absolutely no emotion in a game that was full of it. Even Moore and Gauthier were far more engaged in the game.

If he's playing with a severe injury and we find that out after the season, I'll gladly eat my words but for the time being, he needs to get some fire in his belly and start skating with a bit of purpose.

It really doesn't help that Johnsson and Kapanen are coasters too.

At this point, I am f***ing hoping that someone from the Bruins cross checks him or hits him to wake him up and realize that he's in the playoffs not the regular season. He gets fired up when someone is game planning and targeting him. Otherwise? He's happy floating outside and trying wraparounds.

Reactions: Crispy Crust

PemIceKing

Dec 23, 2011
That is actually a Swedish lastname. Sven Melander being the most famous one i think.

But namecalling your own players are contraproductive and childish.

I dont think Nylander cares. " Oh no the call me Melander like that guy Sven old Swedish farts think is funny. I better start a fight with Chara"

What are you talking about?

Reactions: Rob Brown and Pi

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
But they didn't swallow their whistles. Look at the penalties they called against the Leafs. They weren't even borderline calls. There was literally no infraction on the calls against Kadri and Gauthier. They turned a blind eye to some extremely dangerous his by Boston and then penalized the Leafs on nothing plays.

The Leafs played mediocre, but the Refs definitely played a huge part in this Leafs loss

Welcome to the National Hockey Entertainment, from the - and I am not being sarcastic on this point at all - the spectacularly, rarefied brilliant Ivy League lawyer, accountant MBA types from the NBA that Bettman took with him to the NHL. National Hockey Entertainment, meet your cousins, the National Basketball Entertainment.

Note this: Early- 1980's ish, the NBA is on death's door and the team in Kansas City is moving to Sacramento (Where?) and the always, always badly run Clippers (Hey Edmonton Oilers, stop being Clippers North!) are moving from San Diego to LA. Two strategies emerge that turn the league around: 1, Star System- the rules do not apply to the stars and it is a foul if you legally defend a star- so, double dribble, up -and down, travelling, physical contact all OK for the star and you are not allowed to impede the star if defending the star, and the star is the star and the not star is not a star, and blatantly biased officiating emerges. Then the NBE double-downs, and get off of the fickle gate- revenue teat that can dry up, and the second strategy, 2, taking care of "broadcast partners" emerges. It is by mistake that the top 10 TV markets are wildly over-represented in the NBA finals? 1/3rd of the NBE is a winner 90% of the time and maybe, maybe once in the past 30 years at least 1 team was not from a top 10 market- note catastrophically for Toronto, we are not a small market but a much worse zero market. TV networks: You're the boss!

It gets worse: Never mind this hockey culture in Canada- that is a lie and a myth- the culture is based on raising the Stanley Cup, not the Whateverisit Something. There are more than three times as many teams in the United States than in Canada, and many are in marginal markets: NHL right there with high-school sports, non-existent until the playoffs, games preempted by infomercials, teams needing to buy airtime. Note this: Bettman can piss on idiot Canadians all he wants- where else can Canadians go for their Stanley Cup cultural fix? Answer me that! But the Americans, who really do not give a damn and do not want to, maybe have a NHE team because it came with the taxpayer funded arena- the real prize - and the stupid hockey team is the albatross the reluctant owners are stuck with. What sells in such markets? Winning! Winning sells! Does losing cost Canadian markets? Maybe marginally, but the demonstrable returns on cooking the rule book in favour of the American team cannot be understated. So, now we are stuck, dreaming of the NHL, but stuck with NHE estrangement.

To be clear: The NHL is the NHE, the NHE is in many marginal markets that need to have a winning product, the NHE must get US TV money to not be so dependent on gate revenue, this requires good ratings, and Canadain teams are not good for ratings but instead, catastrophic for them, ruinous, disastrous, no good news or feel good about a Canadian team advancing on Madison Avenue, none! The sooner we accept the crookedness, the sooner we won't sit there demeaning never- going- to- happen justice, just sit there, with growing moss.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I am really disappointed in Matthews. He showed absolutely no emotion in a game that was full of it. Even Moore and Gauthier were far more engaged in the game.

If he's playing with a severe injury and we find that out after the season, I'll gladly eat my words but for the time being, he needs to get some fire in his belly and start skating with a bit of purpose.

It really doesn't help that Johnsson and Kapanen are coasters too.

At this point, I am ****ing hoping that someone from the Bruins cross checks him or hits him to wake him up and realize that he's in the playoffs not the regular season. He gets fired up when someone is game planning and targeting him. Otherwise? He's happy floating outside and trying wraparounds.

if he's playing with another injury then quite frankly, just say that you are.
heck. Ryan Getzlaf played with a hernia and he showed more jump than Matthews is.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

All I care about the refs is that they do not swallow their whistles against us and they have as predicted. If they allow the Bruins to run rough shot against us, I call that swallowing their whistles. What makes is worse is that they have not done so both ways.

Reactions: AreBe

BigGulpsEh

Feb 20, 2017
Time for Matthews to step up and be a leader for this team. He needs to start playing harder and put up points

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
If it's Kadri, he's banned for life.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like Debrusk when he is wearing an opponents sweater. But the kid is rough and came to play. Lets not say Marleau didn't know something was coming, Debrusk's stick was right beside him.

Marleau is bigger than Debrusk, the classic setup there would be to turn into Debrusk as he was coming in, and smoke him.

I called it, the cutback. Its the most devastating hit around.

Debrusk did a lot of dirty things last night, but I considered that, hitting a guy who has the puck. It just happened to be near the turnbuckle or whatever they call it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad