Recalled/Assigned: Leafs Loan Rasmus Sandin to Marlies | Re-Call Kevin Gravel

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
can anyone confirm if this is true? Seems like a possibly (about the cap-savings)

It isn’t true. When using LTIR you do not accrue cap space. So nothing is gained by saving cap on a player unless you go under the ACSL (not even close for us).

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I haven't been disagreeing with you. You just seem to be looking for someone to argue with. I'm trying to think of a reason they may be doing this. It's not how I feel. I'm trying to rationalize their thoughts on this. Right now he's our #5 and IMO he deserves to be here.

I don't know why there needs to be a better rationalization than this is the correct move for Sandin's development and for the team long-term. Dubas should have done this within minutes of the season opener based on Babcock's deployment of Sandin. Finally he stepped up and did his job.

I will repeat what I said yesterday: "The Leafs' playing their best prospect 12 minutes a game on the third pairing to make the team slightly better makes as much sense as if the Leafs had kept Marner on the roster in 2015/16 to play 4th line RW. "

These 6 games for Sandin have been, at best, wasted time, and at worst detrimental for his long-term development. No special teams. Minimal ice time. Ridiculously micromanaged ice time. Results in completely unnatural play and psychologically is a major stressor on a young D who should be building confidence and playing big minutes. I have been saying since the first game of the regular season that the longer he is kept on the roster the longer it will take for him to recover in the AHL. I suspect that it will take around 2 months for him to return to the level of play that he displayed in the AHL last March. This has been the poster child of how not to develop a young D since every case of Babcock having a young D on his roster for a couple games in his Detroit years.

Last edited:

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Differing opinions, and impossible to know who is right.

All evidence points to one side being right - and that is the side of 24 minutes a game in the AHL is orders of magnitude better than 12 minutes a game in the NHL.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
He got nailed squarely on Saturday night.

The only reason he was up was he was avoiding those hits, if he can't avoid them right now, he needs some more man strength.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He got a taste and looked solid but he wasn't getting enough minutes.

This gives the Leafs a placeholder for when Dermott is back in 2-3 weeks.

Holl has done well with his minutes. He's been getting better and better as he plays more. The Leafs probably want to give some of those lower minutes to Marincin and get Sandin a lot more minutes.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Dermott is close to return, and that's a great thing.

A 3rd pairing of.....

Marincin / Holl is nightmare inducing.

Reactions: ToMaLe

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Gravel is what 27 years old and hasn't played a full NHL season as yet, he is basically here to fill in until Dermott is back. I am not too concerned about Sandin, him and Lily are the future

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I believe it’s the right move. Don’t burn a year. Give him some NHL experience. Pull him out right before he starts to struggle. he did take a pretty big hit last game too. Assuming Dermott is ready to go soon too

Reactions: ToMaLe

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Sandin >>>>>>>>>>> Marincin, Holl

Wrong move

He wasn't ready and the hype around him was just that. The kid needs another year to get stronger and be a more complete player. He was making lots of little mistakes that most people ignored because of said hype.

Reactions: coupe93

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Once Dermott and Hyman are back... plenty of spare parts, maybe a trade or two... give them some playing time, and hopefully raise their value.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Sandin is clearly good enough for the NHL but Babcock is doing a terrible job with his development

No, he is saving his development. The guy is not overly quick for his size. He got lined up, in a PO he will get wrecked. He is not ready and people with your opinion will have him in on the IR. NHL PO is play for keeps

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad