Recalled/Assigned: Leafs Loan Rasmus Sandin to Marlies | Re-Call Kevin Gravel

Zami

Oct 10, 2006
Sandin still has 3 more games until they have to make the final decision. I would of thought they would give him the full amount of games before sending him down. I wonder if there is still the possibility they bring him back up when Dermott is back and give them 3 games and see how that goes. The fact that he can be called back up at any time may mean that this is not the final decision.

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
Sandin still has 3 more games until they have to make the final decision. I would of thought they would give him the full amount of games before sending him down. I wonder if there is still the possibility they bring him back up when Dermott is back and give them 3 games and see how that goes. The fact that he can be called back up at any time may mean that this is not the final decision.

My guess would be they will bring him up for the last 3 of the season to prepare him for the playoffs.

Reactions: hullsy47

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
There is no reason to just lose depth just because, I guess. Sandin can get sent down freely so he goes down. Those guys need waivers so they can't.

And it's probably an audition between Holl, Marincin and Gravel for 1 spot on the roster. The winner stays. The other 2 get put on the market to get something. If no takers they go on waivers. If not claimed they strengthen the Marlies back end.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I thought he looked good, and he had some poor moments.

He can go up and down freely, so not an issue.

With the way the rest of the defense has been sliced and diced maybe they need someone with more experience to help the 'veterans' more than a raw rookie can?

Reactions: The Examiner

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
My guess would be they will bring him up for the last 3 of the season to prepare him for the playoffs.

Playoffs in the NHL? Your point seems to be that keeping him to 9 games or less so his ELC slides, but playoff games count towards that 9 game max. If he is brought back up for the playoffs his year won't slide.

Seems pretty simple. Dubas is smart enough to know that having a good young D playing 12 minutes a game is completely disastrous for their development. Based on the pre-season it seemed possible that Babcock would play him 16+ minutes a game (which would be the absolute bare minimum to make it worth it for Sandin to be on the NHL roster instead of in the AHL - absolute bare minimum), but over 6 consecutive games Babs has proven over and over again that he was not going to play Sandin in a way that wouldn't hamper his development.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Most everyone saw this coming a mile away. Playing 12 sheltered minutes a night with no special teams assignments is no way to develop a 19yr old. Save the $$$ on the ELC and let him be a big part of the team next year. Third pairing is shaping up as Dermott-Holl anyways without a trade

Reactions: ToMaLe and biotk

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
Playoffs in the NHL? Your point seems to be that keeping him to 9 games or less so his ELC slides, but playoff games count towards that 9 game max. If he is brought back up for the playoffs his year won't slide.

Seems pretty simple. Dubas is smart enough to know that having a good young D playing 12 minutes a game is completely disastrous for their development. Based on the pre-season it seemed possible that Babcock would play him 16+ minutes a game (which would be the absolute bare minimum to make it worth it for Sandin to be on the NHL roster instead of in the AHL - absolute bare minimum), but over 6 consecutive games Babs has proven over and over again that he was not going to play Sandin in a way that wouldn't hamper his development.

I probably should've been a little clearer. 6 games now. A season with the Marlies and the last 3 games to see if the improvement is worth burning the year because he will help take us deep in the playoffs.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Then they'll have the full Marlies season and those 3 games to see if it's worth it to burn a year.

These decisions should have nothing to do with whether a year slides or not, and if the Leafs' management is incompetent enough to base their decisions on frivolous things like that the club will never be successful. The decisions should be based on what is best for player development and what is best for the team long-term. Sandin shouldn't play another game in the NHL this year.

Reactions: ToMaLe

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Makes sense. Saves a few games for late in the year if we need him, and he was only playing 12 minutes a game. Let that ELC slide and have him come back for a full time spot at a sweet cap hit for the next 3 years (no bonuses in his contract.

Might as well see what Marincin-Holl can do for a bit, and then maybe you can move one or both for some value when Dermott is back to a team like Winnipeg.

We know that Marincin-Holl is a disaster. Gravel-Holl might be ok but I’m not holding my breath. It does give the leafs some added sandpaper.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I probably should've been a little clearer. 6 games now. A season with the Marlies and the last 3 games to see if the improvement is worth burning the year because he will help take us deep in the playoffs.

Improvement of what? Sandin has already dominated the AHL. What is Sandin going to show in the AHL that will indicate things would be any different playing 12 minutes a game of hyperfocused, ultra-sheltered under the microscope play under Babcock? Sandin is good enough to play in the NHL. He also got worse with basically every game he played under Babcock, which is not a surprise based on the deployment and paranoia about mistakes.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Works for me. As great as he was in the pre-season, I still don't think he's ready-or at least im sure Babs doesn't think he is.

Dermott is coming back soon, and its way smarter to send him down before his ELC kicks in. Let him dominate with Tim this season and hope they come up as our 3rd pair for the playoffs.

Muzzin-Rielly
Dermott-Barrie
Sandin-Liljegren

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
These decisions should have nothing to do with whether a year slides or not, and if the Leafs' management is incompetent enough to base their decisions on frivolous things like that the club will never be successful. The decisions should be based on what is best for player development and what is best for the team long-term. Sandin shouldn't play another game in the NHL this year.

I don't see how it's frivolous. If he has a great season on the Marlies and he can be an improvement on whoever is our #6 and can possibly help win a cup then you do it. Give him those 3 games to be evaluated. If he's not going to help then leave him there.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Bit surprised we did this now, but he has struggled defensively at times. Kid is a cant miss, a bit more seasoning is fine by me...he will be back soon.

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
Improvement of what? Sandin has already dominated the AHL. What is Sandin going to show in the AHL that will indicate things would be any different playing 12 minutes a game of hyperfocused, ultra-sheltered under the microscope play under Babcock? Sandin is good enough to play in the NHL. He also got worse with basically every game he played under Babcock, which is not a surprise based on the deployment and paranoia about mistakes.

You just said he shouldn't play another game in the NHL this season. You're starting to confuse me.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Works for me. As great as he was in the pre-season, I still don't think he's ready-or at least im sure Babs doesn't think he is.

Dermott is coming back soon, and its way smarter to send him down before his ELC kicks in. Let him dominate with Tim this season and hope they come up as our 3rd pair for the playoffs.

Muzzin-Rielly
Dermott-Barrie
Sandin-Liljegren
I dont think Babcock is going to split up Barrie and Muzzin to be honest but I agree with the rest of the post.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This isn't all that surprising, and doesn't upset me all that much. Better for his development, and I don't think 12 minutes of Sandin a night is the difference between winning a championship and not.

24 minutes a night in all situations including PP time at AHL level is >> 12 minutes in a sheltered role at NHL level for his development.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I don't see how it's frivolous. If he has a great season on the Marlies and he can be an improvement on whoever is our #6 and can possibly help win a cup then you do it. Give him those 3 games to be evaluated. If he's not going to help then leave him there.

So you are saying that his playing in the NHL should not be on whether the contract slides, but on other factors. Thanks for agreeing with me, while pretending to not agree with me.

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
So you are saying that his playing in the NHL should not be on whether the contract slides, but on other factors. Thanks for agreeing with me, while pretending to not agree with me.

I haven't been disagreeing with you. You just seem to be looking for someone to argue with. I'm trying to think of a reason they may be doing this. It's not how I feel. I'm trying to rationalize their thoughts on this. Right now he's our #5 and IMO he deserves to be here.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
We know that Marincin-Holl is a disaster. Gravel-Holl might be ok but I’m not holding my breath. It does give the leafs some added sandpaper.
Marincin-Holl have played a total of 6 games total together ever at the NHL level, or 54 minutes (9 minutes per game average). I'm willing to bet most of those were after one of those guys sat for a long period of time as well.

It's usually been one or the other, rarely have they ever played together.

50.98 CF% in those 6 games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad