Line Combos: Leafs Lines Going Into Next Season (2018-2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Tarasenko has outscored Marner.

Tarasenko
173 games, 75 + 72 = 147 pts

Marner
172 games, 44 + 99 = 143 pts

Schwartz has better PPG than Nylander and is also better defensively.

Schwartz
151 games, 47 + 76 = 123 pts

Nylander
176 games, 44 + 86 = 130 pts

Fabbri has similar PPG to Marleau with much less TOI:

Fabbri
143 games, 33 + 48 = 81 pts

Marleau
177 games, 61 + 41 = 102 pts

Perron vs Hyman:

Perron
85 games, 75 pts

Hyman
89 games, 44 pts

Steen vs Brown

Steen
76 games, 46 pts

Brown
89 games, 31 pts

Maroon vs Ennis

Maroon
79 games, 44 pts

Ennis
74 games, 22 pts

Blues have a better forward prospect pool with Thomas, Kyrou, Kostin, Bokk and Foley.

I agree that the Leafs have a better forward group but it's mainly because of Tavares and Matthews.
Tarasenko started a year older, and it took him 2.5 seasons to get the games Marner has in 2, which furthers the age gap. Even then the numbers essentially a wash, Marner projects to surpass him this year, I'll take Mitch every time.

Nylander, already has two 60 point campaigns, Schwartz has done it once in his career, there isn't a GM in the league that would trade Nylander straight up for him, again way more upside. Marleau is better than Fabbri no matter how you slice it.

I take your point, again I'll take our forward group, to me we are the class of the league if these guys grow again next year.

Reactions: Pi and authentic

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I'd like to see

Johnsson Matthews Nylander
Marleau Tavares Marner
Hyman Kadri Brown/Kapanen
Leivo Lindholm Kapanen/Brown

Keeps all the PK on the bottom 6, allowing a fresh back to back deployment of the top 2 lines after every PK.
If the only change is Hyman off the top 2 lines ,I will be content.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I hope Babcock considers playing Nylander on the LW and Hyman on the RW. Hyman is WAY better on the RW and I think Nylander is better on the LW too. Part of the reason why Hyman can't make a pass is because he's playing on the wrong wing.

Marleau - Tavares - Marner
Nylander - Matthews - Kapanen
Johnsson - Kadri - Brown
Leivo - Par - Hyman
Ennis

-------------

Even though this would never happen... I think this would be cool:

Kadri - Tavares - Brown
Johnsson - Matthews - Marner
Marleau - Nylander - Kapanen
Leivo - Par - Hyman
Ennis

Babcock can use the Tavares line heads up against the other team's top line and it will dominate. Kadri and Tavares are also buddies, and Matthews and Marner are buddies. It allows us to develop Nylander as our long term center and we can trade Kadri for the defender. If I had to choose between keeping only one of Nylander or Kadri, I would keep Nylander for sure. Kadri's contract is really good... so that's a legit trade piece.

Reactions: ToMaLe

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Just a side note for the people posting lines; in my opinion; Matthews is this teams # 1 center. Matthews is a real generational talent (arguably) and Nylander and Marleau on his wings is just phenomenal. I get why you could put Tavares-Marner as the first line because they could be the best duo on the planet; but in my opinion Matthews line has to be first!

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Just a side note for the people posting lines; in my opinion; Matthews is this teams # 1 center. Matthews is a real generational talent (arguably) and Nylander and Marleau on his wings is just phenomenal. I get why you could put Tavares-Marner as the first line because they could be the best duo on the planet; but in my opinion Matthews line has to be first!

I think Matthews is better too. Both are easily top 10 forwards right now. They both might even be top 5 right now too. We'll see after this year how they do.

I think that playing with Marner is going to be a huge plus. And playing with Hyman is going to be a huge minus. So depending on how these two players are deployed is going to have a huge effect on how we perceive Tavares and Matthews.

I'm already cringing at a Hyman - Tavares - Marner line because Hyman is going to really crap it up there. Babcock needs to play Hyman on the RW and in the bottom 6. I like Hyman, but I'm going to be really pissed if Babcock does the same thing to Tavares and Marner as he did to Matthews and Nylander. But either way, seems like one of Tavares or Matthews is going to get stuck playing with a LW Hyman... and I'm hoping it's not Matthews... he's served his time. I feel like Hyman and Marner will sort of cancel each other out if they play with Tavares. Ya, the line will be really good... but it's not going to be that "something special" line where they finish 1 and 2 in the league in points.

I predict that this combo would finish 1 and 2 in points next year:

(Not Hyman) - Matthews/Tavares - Marner

I do think that Nylander is almost as good as Marner... but Nylander should be a center and needs to be the star player on the line. Marner is a much better complementary winger to an elite center (and we have 2 of those) compared to Nylander. But Nylander and Matthews are still really great together because of all the skill there... and if they can play without Hyman, they're going to be one of the best lines in the NHL next year (assuming they play with Marleau/Johnsson).

Reactions: ToMaLe

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I think Matthews is better too. Both are easily top 10 forwards right now. They both might even be top 5 right now too. We'll see after this year how they do.

I think that playing with Marner is going to be a huge plus. And playing with Hyman is going to be a huge minus. So depending on how these two players are deployed is going to have a huge effect on how we perceive Tavares and Matthews.

I'm already cringing at a Hyman - Tavares - Marner line because Hyman is going to really crap it up there. Babcock needs to play Hyman on the RW and in the bottom 6. I like Hyman, but I'm going to be really pissed if Babcock does the same thing to Tavares and Marner as he did to Matthews and Nylander. But either way, seems like one of Tavares or Matthews is going to get stuck playing with a LW Hyman... and I'm hoping it's not Matthews... he's served his time. I feel like Hyman and Marner will sort of cancel each other out if they play with Tavares. Ya, the line will be really good... but it's not going to be that "something special" line where they finish 1 and 2 in the league in points.

I predict that this combo would finish 1 and 2 in points next year:

(Not Hyman) - Matthews/Tavares - Marner

I do think that Nylander is almost as good as Marner... but Nylander should be a center and needs to be the star player on the line. Marner is a much better complementary winger to an elite center (and we have 2 of those) compared to Nylander. But Nylander and Matthews are still really great together because of all the skill there... and if they can play without Hyman, they're going to be one of the best lines in the NHL next year (assuming they play with Marleau/Johnsson).

Good post; I think we're on the same wave link here. Hopefully both the Tavares and the Matthews line can both be top 10 lines in the world.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
I think Bozak's line kinda threw a wrench into that plan the last two years. All three of our centers now are used to facing top competition and hopefully that changes things a bit more.
The problem wasn't Bozak or the other winger rather Marner, Brown or Kaps but it was JVR and JVR alone that did that. Really it was a masterful coaching job these past couple of years by Babcock hiding him.

Kadri is still very much going to get the matchup assignment that won't change. It makes zero sense to change that as he's thrived in that role. When you could throw out Kadri on that type of assignment it will free up not just one but both Matthews & JT centered lines. Why in the world would Babcock throw that type of an advantage away? Things will seem different do to not having to hide a JVR type of player but really nothing will change from Babs coaching as the players especially the skilled ones have seen first hand what happens to you under Babs if your skill out weighs your compete. JVR was the final lesson to the young guys. He's no longer a Leaf not because the Leafs couldn't afford him but because his skill out weigh his compete.

MarryMarner

Mar 31, 2008
Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Johnsson - Tavares - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Kapanen
Ennis - Lindholm - Brown

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Carrick

Andersen

We really need to get a bit more tough though... Not a fan of Ennis/Lindholm/Brown 4th line. Would prefer to see Grundstrom make the team and perhaps have another 13th forward of 7th defensemen that can bring some toughness to the ice when needed.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Here's what came out of my blender. Going for three lines of depth:

Johnsson - Tavares - Marner
- similar to Babcock lines, but Marner is a thoroughbred passer and needs two scoring threats.

Marleau - Matthews - Kapanen
- Marleau big upgrade on Hyman. Kapanen downgrade on Nylander but still has good zone entries, and IMO some untapped playmaking ability. Overall probably a downgrade on current Matthews line but should feast on secondary matchups.

Hyman - Kadri - Nylander
- I think Kadri and Nylander can gel with time. Current first line wingers now playing on third line, and Kadri isn't Matthews level but is still a goal-scoring centre who likes getting in tight.

xxxx - xxxx - Brown
- whoever earns it. I would like to get the lead early and roll four lines as much as possible, so need a strong line.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
You didn't sign Tavares to not play him with one of Nylander/Marner.
As of now, Babcock stated it will Hyman...Tavares...Marner. So changing that in lineups to something else isn't worthwhile.

From what we know barring any trades:

Marleau...Matthews...Nylander
Hyman...Tavares...Marner
Johnsson...Kadri...(Between Brown and Kapanen)
LW...C...(Either Brown or Kapanen)

LW will consist of a camp between Leivo,Grundstrom,Ennis.
C will consist of a camp between Jooris,Lindholm,Gauthier
3 spots (possibly 4 spots depending on 13/14 forwards, 7/8 D and 2 G)

Rielly...Hainsey
Gardiner...Zaitsev

This seems to be the top 4. Which is not good enough IMO.
The battle for 3 (possibly 4 remaining D spots) Dermott,Borgman,Rosen...Carrick,Oz,Holl
I see Lily in the AHL

Andersen
McBackup

The other goalies will get a good look but it's McBackup's job to lose. He's the vet. Babcock is the coach.

Reactions: iSophagus

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I'm still rooting for Leivo. He has some size and is good along the boards - something this team has been lacking
Same here.
I think there is opportunity to go:
Johnsson/Leivo...Kadri...Kapanen/Brown in the course of 82 games. Then at times on the 4th line.
You could have Leivo/Ennis...Lindholm/Jooris/Brown/Ennis as a 4th line mixture.

It depends on how Ennis and Grundstrom show at camp though. From what we've seen, it doesn't take much to pass Leivo on Babs depth chart.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
As of now, Babcock stated it will Hyman...Tavares...Marner. So changing that in lineups to something else isn't worthwhile.

Hyman...Tavares...Marner

Rielly...Hainsey
Gardiner...Zaitsev

The battle for 3 (possibly 4 remaining D spots) Dermott,Borgman,Rosen...Carrick,Oz,Holl
I see Lily in the AHL

Andersen
McBackup

The other goalies will get a good look but it's McBackup's job to lose. He's the vet. Babcock is the coach.

Bang on about Tavares' linemates. He'll be with Hyman and Marner unless something in camp changes that plan. That naturally puts Matthews and Nylander together, and Marleau gets his wish to play with Matthews.

I don't see any combination other than that to start the year off. Obviously injuries and other things can force changes. But we all know Babcock can be stubborn sticking with line combos. Personally, I like that in a coach rather than the type to put it in a blender every game.

As for your 4th line options, I would put money on Ennis and Lindholm. Ennis might lose out to Leivo for the size factor, but I just have a feeling Ennis will impress everyone this coming year.

Reactions: moon111

APV

Sep 28, 2009

Hyman...Tavares...Marner

Rielly...Hainsey
Gardiner...Zaitsev

I see Lily in the AHL

Andersen
McBackup

This is exactly what the lineup scenario is, to start the season at least. However, I dont believe Johnsson is cemented in the 3 LW spot. While I think hes the favourite, I think he could have some competition from the veteran in Tyler Ennis.

While things can change as the season progresses, the top 6 has already been determined by Babcock so to suggest anything else in your line ups would be a waste of time.

Reactions: iSophagus

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I hope Babcock considers playing Nylander on the LW and Hyman on the RW. Hyman is WAY better on the RW and I think Nylander is better on the LW too. Part of the reason why Hyman can't make a pass is because he's playing on the wrong wing.

Marleau - Tavares - Marner
Nylander - Matthews - Kapanen
Johnsson - Kadri - Brown
Leivo - Par - Hyman
Ennis

-------------

Even though this would never happen... I think this would be cool:

Kadri - Tavares - Brown
Leivo - Par - Hyman
Ennis

Babcock can use the Tavares line heads up against the other team's top line and it will dominate. Kadri and Tavares are also buddies, and Matthews and Marner are buddies. It allows us to develop Nylander as our long term center and we can trade Kadri for the defender. If I had to choose between keeping only one of Nylander or Kadri, I would keep Nylander for sure. Kadri's contract is really good... so that's a legit trade piece.

Brown on the first line is not cool.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Obviously everyone knows that you can't view the loss of Bozak + JVR as something that even rivals the gain of Tavares, but I find it truly incredible how much this changes the complexity of our forward corps coming into this year, especially compared to how we began last year:

To start last season, our top 9 consisted of:
- An elite scoring line (Hyman-Matthews-Nylander),
- A matchup line that was inconsistent offensively (Marleau-Kadri-Komarov),
- A sheltered scoring line that was extremely deficient in its own end and also struggled with consistency (JVR-Bozak-Marner)

Going into this year, we'll be able to run:
- An elite scoring line, with even more offensive flair than last year (Marleau-Matthews-Nylander)
- A second elite scoring line with just as much potency as the first (Hyman-Tavares-Marner)
- A fast, skilled, defensively responsible line, with the best "3C" in the league (Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen)

While our offseason changes look as simple as the addition of Tavares (and a couple Marlies grads) mixed with the subtraction of a few of our vets, these handful of changes give our offense an entirely different flavour than it ever had last season.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
The problem wasn't Bozak or the other winger rather Marner, Brown or Kaps but it was JVR and JVR alone that did that. Really it was a masterful coaching job these past couple of years by Babcock hiding him.

Kadri is still very much going to get the matchup assignment that won't change. It makes zero sense to change that as he's thrived in that role. When you could throw out Kadri on that type of assignment it will free up not just one but both Matthews & JT centered lines. Why in the world would Babcock throw that type of an advantage away? Things will seem different do to not having to hide a JVR type of player but really nothing will change from Babs coaching as the players especially the skilled ones have seen first hand what happens to you under Babs if your skill out weighs your compete. JVR was the final lesson to the young guys. He's no longer a Leaf not because the Leafs couldn't afford him but because his skill out weigh his compete.
You cant do this cause other teams play there best players the most. Therefore kadri will be playing the most out of tavares and matthews. That should not happen.

Its time to stop matching and just go all out offence. You need to give matthews and tavares both 20 mins. Kadri is getting 14 mins now

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
How much better is it than the Blues fw-group? Just curious.

Fabbri - O'Reilly - Tarasenko
Schwartz - Schenn - Thomas
Steen - Bozak - Perron
Nolan - Barbashev - Soshnikov

The Blues improved a lot this offseason, those top 2 lines can go head to head against anyone in the league and the team seems like it would play an amazing 2 way game.

However I’d say the leafs offence is still significantly better lead by Matthews, Tavares, Marner and Nylander

weems

Jul 3, 2008
This better?

Kadri - Tavares - Brown
Leivo - Par - Hyman
Ennis

Now he's on the second line.

I'd prefer he played on the 4th line.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
How about we make a few players happy:

Leivo-Matthews-Marner
Marleau-Tavares-Nylander
Kapanen-Kadri-Brown
Hyman-Lindholm-Ennis

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Connor Brown, Connor Carrick, Garett Sparks & 1st for Brett Pesce

Marleau - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - - - Tavares - - - Marner
Johnsson - - Kadri - - Kapanen
Ennis - - - Lindholm - - - Leivo

Rielly - - - - Pesce
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Hainsey

FredEx
McBackup

PP1:

Matthews - Tavares - Nylander
Rielly - Marner

PP2:

Johnsson - Marleau - Kapanen
Kadri - Gardiner

PK1:

Hyman - Kapanen
Rielly - Pesce

PK2:

Kadri - Johnsson
Hainsey - Zaitsev

Reactions: Albi34

RR10

Jul 2, 2018
The Blues improved a lot this offseason, those top 2 lines can go head to head against anyone in the league and the team seems like it would play an amazing 2 way game.

However I’d say the leafs offence is still significantly better lead by Matthews, Tavares, Marner and Nylander
Indeed. Leafs have a great forward group, probably the best in the league (Blues fan).

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad