Line Combos: Leafs Lines Going Into Next Season (2018-2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Matthews - Nylander
Ennis - Kadri - Brown
Johnsson - Lindholm - Kapanen
ex. Leivo :(

Can probably bank on them carrying 8 d-men.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Seen too many plays die on Hymans stick. Mathews and Willy dont need him and it became obvious that they would ignore Hyman. Got tired of anticipating another blind pass or shot from him. As far as getting there,sure,he gets there.But the results could be so much better with a player who knew what to do with the puck.
Stop selling nylander and mathews so short.. They are better than you think, if you think they need a 3rd puck carrier you are wrong. There is enough skill between the two of them. Just I want a guy that can create havoc, forecheck and get the puck back. Results could not be any better. Hyman is a valuable player on any team

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Stop selling nylander and mathews so short.. They are better than you think, if you think they need a 3rd puck carrier you are wrong. There is enough skill between the two of them. Just I want a guy that can create havoc, forecheck and get the puck back. Results could not be any better. Hyman is a valuable player on any team
Respectfully, I can't agree, but I hear Hyman will be replaced this year....I wonder who it will be? It seems Tavares and Marner get to experience the Hyman guessing game!

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Respectfully, I can't agree, but I hear Hyman will be replaced this year....I wonder who it will be? It seems Tavares and Marner get to experience the Hyman guessing game!
Alright respect. Tavares and Hyman are going to be elite in the offensive zone, Im really excited about those two grinding it out in the corners

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Alright respect. Tavares and Hyman are going to be elite in the offensive zone, Im really excited about those two grinding it out in the corners
Maybe Johnny T gets a career high in goals alongside Marner....will see if Hyman can learn to convert as well!

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Maybe Johnny T gets a career high in goals alongside Marner....will see if Hyman can learn to convert as well!
Its not all about goalscoring. Hyman will easily get 20-30 at some point in his career...Hyman is in his 3rd season wait until he gets going. But look at Ryan Smyths goal scoring average, Its not goal scoring that gave him the name Captain Canada.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada

Hyman will score around 30-35 goals at some point mark my words... scored 5 goals year one, 10 year two, 15 year three... he will stay around 25 for most of his career

Reactions: FADYB

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Hyman will score around 30-35 goals at some point mark my words... scored 5 goals year one, 10 year two, 15 year three... he will stay around 25 for most of his career

LOL. No, he won't. He's 26 and is peaking NOW, at 15 goals, 40 points. He might crack 20 goals one year, but he'll never get a sniff at 35, or "25 for most of his career".

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada

I'd agree with this line of thinking. Keep the pairings of Matthews-Nylander, Tavares-Marner together and switch the odd man out for the situation.

What are people's worst case scenario when it comes to our forward lines? What would be the worst combos you can think of?

I think the worst possibly lineup would be... umm it's actually difficult. We have 4th liners that wouldn't look out of place on the top 2 lines.

Babs is all about keeping players familiar. But imagine trotting out lineups dependant on matchup/teams.

Johnsson - Tavares - Marner
Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Brown
Ennis - Lindholm - Kapanen

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
Hyman is not about goal scoring. Never has been never will. You guys forget very quickly. Remember the playoffs. It will repeat next playoffs too. Only 1 leaf consistently got puck from Bruins. Nylander i cant remember him stealing even 1 puck (show me video evidence if i am wrong). Matty i remember maybe 3 or 4 puck steals all series and i was at every game live in toronto and boston. You have to be able to win pucks from your opponent in the playoffs in playoff hockey which is what counts. Regular season means nothing.

Reactions: frog

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
How about Babcock’s post penalty kill super line? Wasn’t it Matthews-Marner-Kadri jumping over the boards after a kill last season? Or was it Matthews-Marner-Nylander?

I honestly can’t remember what it typically was, and it’s not a big deal because we hardly see it, but still fun to think of how much fun it might be to see 34-91-16 out there as a trio maybe once or twice a game.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Its not all about goalscoring. Hyman will easily get 20-30 at some point in his career...Hyman is in his 3rd season wait until he gets going. But look at Ryan Smyths goal scoring average, Its not goal scoring that gave him the name Captain Canada.
No, it is the fact that he was captain so many times ,5 or 6 yimes i think. I don't share your optimism for Hymans production to increase. 2 years as Austons winger is enough of a trial.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Ennis - Kadri - Brown
Johnsson - Lindholm - Kapanen
ex. Leivo :(

Can probably bank on them carrying 8 d-men.

How is 5'9" Ennis at the point in his career with a shooting percentage even worse than Uncle Leo's remotely a 3rd liner on this team? Do you really think Babcock will miss the poor play of Komarov so much that he will feel the need to put a far worse version of him on Kadri's line?

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
How is 5'9" Ennis at the point in his career with a shooting percentage even worse than Uncle Leo's remotely a 3rd liner on this team? Do you really think Babcock will miss the poor play of Komarov so much that he will feel the need to put a far worse version of him on Kadri's line?
Nah mayne. They ain't gon do that there. I'm very glad and smiling we already got those babcock sentenced two first lines forever: These will never change and it's decided by him already and told and written down:
Hyman - Tavares - Marner

Our dirty third might be very rich and powerful with
Johnsson - Kadri - Kapanen
And our fourth suckas is:
Some big bad sucks with strength and honor like gladiator, hitting that thang and pushing fighting that thang off - Lindholm - Brown

So we need that 12th sucka real hard. That type of sucka who intimidates and still plays aaaight. Those is hard to get. It's like we need some brashear type or like Reaves type of sucka. Like Wilson type of dirt right thurr. Y'all know what I'm talkin bout with that fool type of Ritchie bastardor from anaheim. Or like some zac rinaldo typa true sucka type who goes out there and never afraid. Intimidating suckas real hard out the game at all cost. Bank on that thang. We is needing it, and it's not going to take long. Dubas will have to act on that ass.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
where did you hear Hyman will be replaced this year, He is a valuable piece to the top 2 lines, he strips the puck, works in the corners, in the first round against the Bruins I earned a ton more respect for Hyman, he stripped the puck like a beast! and competed like one aswell.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
where did you hear Hyman will be replaced this year, He is a valuable piece to the top 2 lines, he strips the puck, works in the corners, in the first round against the Bruins I earned a ton more respect for Hyman, he stripped the puck like a beast! and competed like one aswell.
It was in one of these threads where I saw first saw it. Someone posted it from a hockey journalist ,not sore who.Perhaps with Tavares now? And yes,I too was glad to see him raise his game in the Boston series...still lacking talent...not a top 6 winger ,better options available. I doubt any other coach would slot him into a top 6 role.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
It was in one of these threads where I saw first saw it. Someone posted it from a hockey journalist ,not sore who.Perhaps with Tavares now? And yes,I too was glad to see him raise his game in the Boston series...still lacking talent...not a top 6 winger ,better options available. I doubt any other coach would slot him into a top 6 role.

Hrmm Tom wilson played on the top like for Washington this year it worked out pretty good for them I think.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Hrmm Tom wilson played on the top like for Washington this year it worked out pretty good for them I think.
Everyone wants to compare Hyman to someone else it seems. Tom Wilson is a lot more valuable ,has way more jam,is intimidating and has more skill. Caps wouldn't trade straight up. Love to see what Hyman does bring back on the open market though!

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Everyone wants to compare Hyman to someone else it seems. Tom Wilson is a lot more valuable ,has way more jam,is intimidating and has more skill. Caps wouldn't trade straight up. Love to see what Hyman does bring back on the open market though!
I disagree go look at the stats Hyman had more points, and I highly doubt he gets traded, he is one of Babs guys.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I disagree go look at the stats Hyman had more points, and I highly doubt he gets traded, he is one of Babs guys.
Points! Every Hyman supporter tells me he is not there for points. A puck retriever in a support role with the least amount of puck skill of any top 6 player in the league. I am sure that any other forward on the team would have more points playing along side Auston and Willy.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
How about Babcock’s post penalty kill super line? Wasn’t it Matthews-Marner-Kadri jumping over the boards after a kill last season? Or was it Matthews-Marner-Nylander?

I honestly can’t remember what it typically was, and it’s not a big deal because we hardly see it, but still fun to think of how much fun it might be to see 34-91-16 out there as a trio maybe once or twice a game.

I am looking forward to post pk line of

Matthews-Tavares-Marner

followed by

Marleau-Kadri-Nylander

Creating havoc for opposition

Reactions: Goonface2k14

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
LOL. No, he won't. He's 26 and is peaking NOW, at 15 goals, 40 points. He might crack 20 goals one year, but he'll never get a sniff at 35, or "25 for most of his career".

Well make up your mind . . . if he might crack 20 goals one year, he ISN'T peaking now, is he?

I'm not saying I know, or that it's easy to predict - it certainly isn't - but don't waffle, give us your real opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad